Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2023, 03:29 PM

136 posts, read 102,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I'm from the Western New York area and moved down south 5 months ago. We got out just in time as crime has increased and the cops can do nothing about it. Two weeks after we left they moved the illegals in our area - nothing but problems with assaults, rapes, property damage and drug and prostitution rings. Two former neighbors contacted us and said they are leaving also.

Now Hochul signed the Clean Slate Bill. Since so many plead down - we've given some bad people a pass on their crimes - do you want an arsonist living in your building - his record will be sealed and the landlord won't know anything about it.
I understand, where in western New York were you living ? Brooklyn maybe ?
Where did you move to down south ??

Old 11-17-2023, 04:02 PM

292 posts, read 725,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If the "migrant crisis" is a reason to move then Texas may not be the right place.
I lived there for over 20 years.

Texas is a border state and has plenty of illegals living and working there.
Texas has been absorbing them for years.

There is a difference though.
Texas doesn't coddle to the illegals. They have to make their own way.
No 5 star hotels with room service.

If you insist though my suggestion is to learn Spanish before you move.
You don't need to know Spanish in most areas of Texas. The only areas where not knowing it is a hinderance to getting a job would be places like El Paso, Laredo, McAllen, etc. I've lived in the SW United States for a long time and the reality is unless you are living near the border, etc you don't have to worry about it. If your not working or hanging out in the barrios of Dallas it's not an issue in that area. Texas is a large state and if your living in the DFW area or north of there you don't need to worry.

Old 11-17-2023, 10:01 PM

785 posts, read 483,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
I moved out of NY in July.

Couldn't be happier. Wife is happy. Kids are happy. Was 65 degrees and sunny today. Has been mid 60-70's for the past few weeks here in NorCal.

Streets are clean. Infrastructure is far newer and modern. Businesses, restaurants, stores, full around every turn. Was hiking in the foothills last weekend. Going to Yosemite right after Thanksgiving. Soon, ski season and Tahoe is 1 hour and 15 mins from my doorstep.

No more dirty, overcrowded streets full of A-hole drivers. No more ugly infrastructure which doesn't match and is falling apart. No more tiny, pothole filled roadways. No more mosquitos, humidity and 5 months of heavy winter clothing.

People are actually nice here. Genuinely nice. With the weather everyone is active. Walking, hiking, biking, running. Beautiful trails all over. Healthy food everywhere. Very few fat people unlike LI.

We boiled our choices down to Dallas area, Raleigh or Sacramento area. Raleigh and Sac are very similar but chose the West Coast version. Superior weather and outdoor activities but can't go wrong with either.

Only thing you can go wrong with is wasting your years on that hemorrhoid called LI. I mean, what logical reason is there not to leave? Family? Whatever, I left for a much better life and can always visit them. Work? There's work everywhere and most other places the COL is far less and the infrastructure superior.
What's the affordability like? NoCal (other than SF) always peaks my interest.

Old 11-18-2023, 06:09 AM

11,767 posts, read 5,781,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBlonde View Post
I understand, where in western New York were you living ? Brooklyn maybe ?
Where did you move to down south ??
We moved from the Buffalo / Niagara Falls area to Alabama where my son was transferred 10 yrs ago. I've always wanted to visit NYC but never got the chance.

Upon reading the news reports from Aug when the migrants were sent to WNY - NYC was paying an upfront fee each month to cover food costs. I don't know if NYC is still paying that. Our migrants are staying at hotels like the Red Roof Inn up here but residents are still upset.

Old 11-18-2023, 08:33 AM

136 posts, read 102,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I'm from the Western New York area and moved down south 5 months ago. We got out just in time as crime has increased and the cops can do nothing about it. Two weeks after we left they moved the illegals in our area - nothing but problems with assaults, rapes, property damage and drug and prostitution rings. Two former neighbors contacted us and said they are leaving also.

Now Hochul signed the Clean Slate Bill. Since so many plead down - we've given some bad people a pass on their crimes - do you want an arsonist living in your building - his record will be sealed and the landlord won't know anything about it.
Where exactly in New York did you live ??

Old 11-18-2023, 11:50 AM

577 posts, read 299,783 times
OP, you live in a liberal Mecca. You are experiencing what seems the liberal dream. A big state and local government that drives cost beyond what most can afford. Too many expensive liberal cities call themselves a sanctuary in theory knowing cost will keep poor uneducated immigrants away. That is until texas shipped some your way.

Texas has hot summers. If we didn’t no telling how big Dallas metro would be.

We are integrated racially but segregated by income. Crime isn’t high in high income areas in Texas.

We trust the free market and citizens free will rather than big governments to set the course to a livable future.

Highland park is a great place to live safely if you can afford it.

I’ve lived in n nj, Pittsburgh, Houston and Dallas metros. So I know a little about them and prefer Texas.

Make sure your new location doesn’t see nyc as a Mecca to imitate unless you are prepared to live with the outcomes it can produce.

Old 11-18-2023, 12:10 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Quote:
Thank You, where did you move to ?
See my post upper right Location

Old 11-19-2023, 06:52 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Lol.

Old 11-21-2023, 09:30 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Texas will be cheaper, and the land is flat, vast, with rolling hills, depending on where you land.

Also, the summers are LONG, hot, and extremely humid, for most all of the state, save for the western, more desert areas, including El Paso.

Austin and Dallas/Fort Worth can be very windy during certain weather pattern changes, too.

Also, politically, Texas is very conservative in general.

Prepare to use your car everywhere. The culture is mostly suburban, in general, with the exception of a few decently vibrant urban neighborhoods in Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio (and Fort Worth to a lesser degree).

Nothing will be as crowded and vibrant overall, as the NYC area.

It's pretty much almost as opposite you can get to NYC.

And also realize that you are leaving best of the best culture, best of the best restaurants, global cosmopolitan diversity and access and beautiful beaches, behind.

But pros for Texas are that I love the HEB grocery store chain, some of the Tex Mex is absolutely phenomenal, and the BBQ, if you are into that, can't be beat.

Texas is a whole different world. But it can be relaxing for those who are absolutely done with big city east coast life.

Last edited by jjbradleynyc; 11-21-2023 at 09:39 AM..

Old 11-21-2023, 10:27 AM

34,010 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Breaks my heart to move but the crime and the migrant crisis is never ending.
Is it time to move out of state? As a lifelong New Yorker I’m thinking North Texas. Very low crime.
What are everyone’s thoughts on this matter ?
I think if you run you replace one set of problems with another. I hear that North Texas has bad wind and dust storms. If you have asthma this may be of concern.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island