Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 07:46 AM

43,080 posts, read 18,252,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBlonde View Post
Breaks my heart to move but the crime and the migrant crisis is never ending.
Is it time to move out of state? As a lifelong New Yorker I’m thinking North Texas. Very low crime.
What are everyone’s thoughts on this matter ?
If the "migrant crisis" is a reason to move then Texas may not be the right place.
I lived there for over 20 years.

Texas is a border state and has plenty of illegals living and working there.
Texas has been absorbing them for years.

There is a difference though.
Texas doesn't coddle to the illegals. They have to make their own way.
No 5 star hotels with room service.

If you insist though my suggestion is to learn Spanish before you move.

Old 11-16-2023, 08:43 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,931 times
summers get awfully hot in north Texas. I have a few friends in metro Dallas/FW and they complain about the heat every summer, along with the fact that "there is nothing to do" .
That said, they all have beautiful homes, landscaped back yards with inground pools, waterfalls etc

Old 11-16-2023, 08:56 AM

914 posts, read 561,339 times
Very low crime? Well, I guess if you move to a rural area or certain suburbs, but overall, the Dallas-FW metro has higher crime rate than suburban LI. And, if you're a lifelong NYer, you will never fit in with lots of locals; while they may be polite to you generally, but you'll can still be considered a carpetbagger from NY. A lot of died-in-the-wool NYers can find that grates over time. You may imagine Texans as straightshooters in communication, but it's a different kind of straightshooting from the NY version.

Old 11-16-2023, 09:14 AM

427 posts, read 154,521 times
Texas like other border states is overrun with illegal aliens. New Yorkers are crying about a few tens of thousands of them but that's how many places like San Diego County in California get in a single day. Estimates are hard to verify but some say over 3 million have come in the last three years alone. Most of them are staying in border states, and thus those are the last places you're going to want to flee to if that's your concern.

Frankly I don't know where people seeking to avoid these locusts and the various other problems facing this country are supposed to go. You can't even just flee the country, virtually all of the West is being invaded by various parts of the world with the full cooperation of our treacherous elites. Maybe Eastern Europe. Asia is nice but they're not dumb enough to let millions of foreign invaders in.

Old 11-16-2023, 09:31 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,900,601 times
Quote:
Is it time to move out of New York ?
It was time for me when I left in 1972.

Old 11-16-2023, 11:02 AM

132 posts, read 102,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
summers get awfully hot in north Texas. I have a few friends in metro Dallas/FW and they complain about the heat every summer, along with the fact that "there is nothing to do" .
That said, they all have beautiful homes, landscaped back yards with inground pools, waterfalls etc
My family moved to north Dallas and it’s 100 degrees in the summer every day. They go from their air conditioned house to their air conditioned car to the air conditioned grocery stores etc .

Old 11-16-2023, 04:27 PM

20,045 posts, read 20,844,919 times
I got out. Wish I did sooner but whatever.At least I know now, that I won’t die a bitter miserable old prick.

Old 11-16-2023, 05:22 PM

816 posts, read 444,034 times
Moved off LI 12 years ago to Northern NJ. I always said the only thing I would miss is the convenience of the beach, and that was true.

Loved NJ but it was so damn expensive, and I always worked in the City watching crime run out of control and homeless everywhere. Moved out 2 years ago to the Raleigh area.

Now we're in a quiet rural town south of Raleigh and we couldn't be happier. Safe, very much southern hospitality, so much less traffic... win for us.

As a different poster said, do your research. Once we found the state and city we liked most (after 2 years of visiting different ones), we rented for a year to lock down the town that we loved best. All very pragmatic and honest. If not, you will not find your happiness.

But to answer your initial question... being as we visit family twice yearly on LI, we see it now as a crowded Moderator cut: bypassing the profanity filterslum. There is so better out there with a better quality of life.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-19-2023 at 04:57 AM..

Old 11-16-2023, 05:53 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post
Moved off LI 12 years ago to Northern NJ. I always said the only thing I would miss is the convenience of the beach, and that was true.

Loved NJ but it was so damn expensive, and I always worked in the City watching crime run out of control and homeless everywhere. Moved out 2 years ago to the Raleigh area.

Now we're in a quiet rural town south of Raleigh and we couldn't be happier. Safe, very much southern hospitality, so much less traffic... win for us.

As a different poster said, do your research. Once we found the state and city we liked most (after 2 years of visiting different ones), we rented for a year to lock down the town that we loved best. All very pragmatic and honest. If not, you will not find your happiness.

But to answer your initial question... being as we visit family twice yearly on LI, we see it now as a crowded Moderator cut: bypassing the profanity filter slum. There is so better out there with a better quality of life.
Where does your family live? Wyndanch? Hempstead?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-19-2023 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 11-16-2023, 09:40 PM

787 posts, read 485,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBlonde View Post
Breaks my heart to move but the crime and the migrant crisis is never ending.
Is it time to move out of state? As a lifelong New Yorker I’m thinking North Texas. Very low crime.
What are everyone’s thoughts on this matter ?
Depends on your life stage and age. No 20 something young person wants to live in N. Texas but someone in their 50s might.

But I hear ya. I'm 51. Hope to get out by 55. Still have an elderly parent that needs my help. And, yes, the thought of leaving Queens/LI where I grew up and had the most amazing childhood makes me shed a tear. But then I go outside get in my car and hit 100 potholes, sit in traffic, see nothing but 3rd world filth everywhere I go...and then realize that I don't miss NY but instead I miss growing up in NY when I did. But that world no longer exists.

The last few years I've gone on 4 or 5 day expeditions/explorations to various parts of the country I think I'd like to spend the latter years of my life. They include the following:

Orange County, CA: The most beautiful part of the country, no doubt. But very expensive. An hour south of LA but you really wouldn't know it.

Las Vegas Valley: Not the strip but the valley of Las Vegas is beautiful. Stunning views. Very little traffic and somewhat affordable homes (not for long). And lots of NYers out there.

Palm Beach County, FL: The Boca area. Basically it's Long Island/NY/CT/NJ in Florida. So you kinda get best of both worlds.

I also plan on deeply exploring parts of Arizona as well as North/South Carolina areas. I also have a cousin from Yonkers that moved to Tulsa, Ok 30 years ago and loves it there. He comes back to NY for 2 weeks in the Summer to get his NYC fill then gets the F outta town as quick as possible.

20 years ago I would have also put Dallas on this list. I lived down there for 6 mo's in the late 90s for work and it was really nice out in the burbs but as others have said, it's basically Mexico nowadays.

Yep, the migrants will be everywhere within 20 years. No hiding from them, unless of course you have Irish/European citizenship as I do along with a passport that lets me live in Europe. I just may end up going back full circle to the family homeland of Ireland.*I refuse to be a minority.

Last edited by islanders2021; 11-16-2023 at 09:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island