Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 08:57 PM

16 posts, read 9,278 times

Advertisements

Hi!

First time long island home buyer here, I am from Brooklyn and my wife is from nassau, and we currently live in Brooklyn. We are looking to move to the Huntington area (4bed 2bath preferrably) with a 999k budget (believe it or not we are having a hard time with this budget). Looking for advice!

My wife and I have driven around the area our entire summer scoping out good neighborhoods to move to and are still confused about where to settle in huntington and its multiple neighborhoods!. We put bids on a few homes in Huntington village/Halesite as we knew these areas were "nice." However even 50k-100k over ask and we have had no luck, losing out to all cash buyers.

After being discouraged, we are looking for any insight into Huntington Station as we have found a few great homes in south huntington and in what people call the "maplewood" section of the station. Would anyone who lives in the area have any input into how it is to live in either of these two areas?

Are they safe? Are either of these areas declining and or becoming better? We loved parts of south huntington and the loved the maplewood area around E rogues path...but are a little deterred as so many acquaintances have told us to avoid anything in huntington station.

If it matters we are a multiracial couple and don't really care to "keep up with appearances" as much of long island seems to be (my wife is trying to avoid that actually as she grew up in a wealthier part of nassau). We just want a nice home on well maintained streets with friendly neighbors and close to the village for us to do things. School district matters as we are planning to have kids soon but it is not a deal breaker; we are comfortable with the south huntington district.

Any information would be appreciated! thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 01:39 AM

785 posts, read 483,610 times
South Huntington/Huntington station is considered the "ghetto" part of town. Lots of poor, criminal Hispanics...mostly. MS 13 criminal types. Back in the day, when Huntington was mostly all white, it was a great spot crime wise.

So the question becomes how "ghetto" is too ghetto and ghetto is in the eye of the beholder. As an Irish catholic of the maga persuasion, I'd never move there. If I were a black professional who grew up in the hood in Brooklyn, it may seem like a lovely place!

And good luck with that budget. You can't even get a house in Queens for under $1M.

Old 08-15-2023, 09:37 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
yes there are parts of these areas that are pretty rough and/or run down but large swaths of South Huntington and Huntington station are fine and some are relatively attractive areas. If you've driven through these areas it's not to hard to tell what areas to avoid and which are safe.

Old 08-15-2023, 09:40 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
South Huntington/Huntington station is considered the "ghetto" part of town. Lots of poor, criminal Hispanics...mostly. MS 13 criminal types. Back in the day, when Huntington was mostly all white, it was a great spot crime wise.

So the question becomes how "ghetto" is too ghetto and ghetto is in the eye of the beholder. As an Irish catholic of the maga persuasion, I'd never move there. If I were a black professional who grew up in the hood in Brooklyn, it may seem like a lovely place!

And good luck with that budget. You can't even get a house in Queens for under $1M.
OP, this poster is from Queens. Only knows Huntington from what he's read. Maplewood is a nice area. If you're willing to look there, though, I'd consider Greenlawn which is Harborfields schools. Check around the college section. It is not much farther east and just as easy a commute to the train station. You're close to the villages of Huntington, Greenlawn and Northport.

The only thing you need to be careful of in the Maplewood area is schools - Huntington, South Huntington and Harborfields all come together there and you can literally have across the street neighbors who are in a different district!

Old 08-15-2023, 10:44 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post

When have you lived there?

Sounds like you're repeating what you read in the paper (or heard on the news), nothing based on reality!

Old 08-15-2023, 10:58 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
I’d suggest you walk around any home you’re thinking of buying in Huntington Station and South Huntington. Try around a six block+ radius both day and night. Doubtlessly you’ll want to be able to walk around your neighborhood once you buy. If you’re not comfortable, don’t buy.

Just one component of due diligence. Along with home inspection, stats, etc.

Old 08-15-2023, 12:36 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Lots of great places on LI for that budget. Like 90 percent of the Island.
Not sure I would remotely be considering Huntington Station

Old 08-15-2023, 04:20 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,325,501 times
There are plenty of area that’s are nice in SHSD. I personally know people who lived there. It’s the areas you aren’t living in that the district pulls from. 4 families we know all moved, 2 to HHH and 2 to harborfields.

Old 08-15-2023, 04:27 PM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Even back in the 80's when I lived on Long Island, Huntington Station was considered "the ghetto". I can't even imagine what it's like these days.

Old 08-15-2023, 04:41 PM

16 posts, read 9,278 times
Thank you all for your replies!!

You’d be surprised…with our budget we are really trying to stay below 950,000 and are completely priced out of a lot of north shore Long Island. I am transferring my job to Huntington so wanted to stay close and my wife and I love the downtown. She also needs the train a couple times a week to head into the city so we wanted to be on a more express line off huntington and not, per say northport or Commack.

We weren’t really considering the station either but the Maplewood section had nice well kept, large homes and south huntington around St Anthony’s seemed like a great wealthier area to us and there were definitely great deals in these areas…large colonials with half an acre of land as compared to small ranches for sale near Huntington village for the same price.

We definitely have driven and walked around both Maplewood and south huntington quite a few times and the areas feel quiet, nice, and safe and we’re just looking for other peoples opinions who live there.

We are definitely are considering Greenlawn and lost on a house there…it was priced 900k+ and went for over a million…. The inventory is rough right now.

Thank you all so much!

Last edited by firstimelibuyer; 08-15-2023 at 05:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island