Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 12:16 PM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstimelibuyer View Post
Interesting, my wife and I are a good 5 years out from having a kid who is ready for grade school so we aren’t too worried. What I find odd is how similar homes in Huntington are more expensive than south Huntington but all the rankings and research we showed south Huntington to be a better school district and getting better while Huntington is getting worse? (Again we are looking at like small ranches or splits etc in our price range, I’m not talking about the huge acre land private mansions by the bay or etc…as those are pricey for a reason)

I am talking about a small ranch in Southdown going for 900k and a same style home in a similar quiet and nice neighborhood in south Huntington or Maplewood going for 800k. I guess it is the proximity to the water or the town that’s more desirable?

We are definitely also looking into harbor field and hhh but most of the desirable homes in those districts are going for over a million.

Thanks again all!
Perhaps there are multiple factors involved with home prices and school district is just one of them. North of 25A (location, location, location) for example, might be one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2023, 12:23 PM

16 posts, read 9,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
have you looked in the area by St. Anthony's High School ? I drive thorugh there frequenly, looks like a nice enough neighborhood.
Yup we have drive by there and it looked like a nice area. Thank you!

Old 08-19-2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Perhaps there are multiple factors involved with home prices and school district is just one of them. North of 25A (location, location, location) for example, might be one.

Of course! Maybe I just didn’t find the appeal because the neighborhood around St Anthony’s looks nicer to me than houses we would see in Southdown?

But to each their own, maybe that location is ideal for some or retirees.

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-19-2023, 12:34 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,332,757 times
Quote:
Interesting, my wife and I are a good 5 years out from having a kid who is ready for grade school so we aren’t too worried. What I find odd is how similar homes in Huntington are more expensive than south Huntington but all the rankings and research we showed south Huntington to be a better school district and getting better while Huntington is getting worse? (Again we are looking at like small ranches or splits etc in our price range, I’m not talking about the huge acre land private mansions by the bay or etc…as those are pricey for a reason)

I am talking about a small ranch in Southdown going for 900k and a same style home in a similar quiet and nice neighborhood in south Huntington or Maplewood going for 800k. I guess it is the proximity to the water or the town that’s more desirable?

We are definitely also looking into harbor field and hhh but most of the desirable homes in those districts are going for over a million.

Thanks again all!
They moved when kids got out of elementary. To them they didn’t like how 70% of the class the kids parents spoke no English and if there was a birthday invitation in was in Spanish and English. That may not bother everyone. I’m sure SHSD is just fine. I live in HHH and looked allot in harborfields. Prices are high today and yes you will get an equal home for less in sh and Huntington SD over hhh and hf except for parts of Huntington on water or in village they are pricey.

Old 08-19-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
They moved when kids got out of elementary. To them they didn’t like how 70% of the class the kids parents spoke no English and if there was a birthday invitation in was in Spanish and English. That may not bother everyone. I’m sure SHSD is just fine. I live in HHH and looked allot in harborfields. Prices are high today and yes you will get an equal home for less in sh and Huntington SD over hhh and hf except for parts of Huntington on water or in village they are pricey.
Gotcha, this is good information. We don’t mind the diversity at all but if the issues involving language is causing a barrier and strain in the school that may pose a problem.

Thanks

Old 08-19-2023, 12:59 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
The thing with an area like Southdown is that it's completely buffered on all sides and that's not gonna change. I mean if you go down Southdown Road far enough you're technically in Lloyd Harbor and the CSH school district. Bordered to the south by West Neck and the Village. Always been a nice albeit mostly middle class area. And more proximate to the village than St. A's area.

Old 08-19-2023, 05:09 PM

5,058 posts, read 3,960,939 times
Quote:
Of course! Maybe I just didn’t find the appeal because the neighborhood around St Anthony’s looks nicer to me than houses we would see in Southdown?

But to each their own, maybe that location is ideal for some or retirees.

Thanks for your help!
Well, think of the money you’ll save by moving to an area you believe is nicer.

Old 08-19-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The thing with an area like Southdown is that it's completely buffered on all sides and that's not gonna change. I mean if you go down Southdown Road far enough you're technically in Lloyd Harbor and the CSH school district. Bordered to the south by West Neck and the Village. Always been a nice albeit mostly middle class area. And more proximate to the village than St. A's area.
That makes sense! I didn’t consider that factor. It’s surrounded by really exclusive and wealthy areas and the drive up is very nice even if the homes and lots seemed small to me. I appreciate the insight!

Old 08-19-2023, 06:38 PM

293 posts, read 89,449 times
Quote:
Hi!

First time long island home buyer here, I am from Brooklyn and my wife is from nassau, and we currently live in Brooklyn. We are looking to move to the Huntington area (4bed 2bath preferrably) with a 999k budget (believe it or not we are having a hard time with this budget). Looking for advice!

My wife and I have driven around the area our entire summer scoping out good neighborhoods to move to and are still confused about where to settle in huntington and its multiple neighborhoods!. We put bids on a few homes in Huntington village/Halesite as we knew these areas were "nice." However even 50k-100k over ask and we have had no luck, losing out to all cash buyers.

After being discouraged, we are looking for any insight into Huntington Station as we have found a few great homes in south huntington and in what people call the "maplewood" section of the station. Would anyone who lives in the area have any input into how it is to live in either of these two areas?

Are they safe? Are either of these areas declining and or becoming better? We loved parts of south huntington and the loved the maplewood area around E rogues path...but are a little deterred as so many acquaintances have told us to avoid anything in huntington station.

If it matters we are a multiracial couple and don't really care to "keep up with appearances" as much of long island seems to be (my wife is trying to avoid that actually as she grew up in a wealthier part of nassau). We just want a nice home on well maintained streets with friendly neighbors and close to the village for us to do things. School district matters as we are planning to have kids soon but it is not a deal breaker; we are comfortable with the south huntington district.

Any information would be appreciated! thank you!
You missed the boat.

Inventory is so low that cash offers are bound to win out. I say your best bet is to attack listings before/ as soon as they're posted and write a letter to the sellers explaining your situation and hope they have some sympathy and throw the sale your way. It happens. Not everyone needs a fast close/ or absolute top dollar. Some sellers would be able to sympathize with your situation.

What is your downpayment looking like? If you're qualifying for a $1MM mortgage with only a 20% down payment, wouldn't make much sense for a seller to go with you because banks are increasingly tightening lending standards. By the time you're ready to close, you might not be able to get financing for the $1MM home. Getting a pre-approval for a mortgage is way different than getting approved nowadays. There are a sizable number of applicants getting rejected at closing even though they were pre-approved.

There are literally only 21 sales in the last 90 days in Huntington.

https://www.zillow.com/huntington-ny...e%22%3Atrue%7D

Last edited by ssalceraflew; 08-19-2023 at 06:52 PM..

Old 08-19-2023, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssalceraflew View Post
You missed the boat.

Inventory is so low that cash offers are bound to win out. I say your best bet is to attack listings before/ as soon as they're posted and write a letter to the sellers explaining your situation and hope they have some sympathy and throw the sale your way. It happens. Not everyone needs a fast close/ or absolute top dollar. Some sellers would be able to sympathize with your situation.

What is your downpayment looking like? If you're qualifying for a $1MM mortgage with only a 20% down payment, wouldn't make much sense for a seller to go with you because banks are increasingly tightening lending standards. By the time you're ready to close, you might not be able to get financing for the $1MM home. Getting a pre-approval for a mortgage is way different than getting approved nowadays. There are a sizable number of applicants getting rejected at closing even though they were pre-approved.

There are literally only 21 sales in the last 90 days in Huntington.

https://www.zillow.com/huntington-ny...e%22%3Atrue%7D

I appreciate the mature response. I consider my wife and I fortunate because although I set us wanting to stay under a budget of 999k and ideally 950k, this is quite below what we can actually afford/got approved for. I just don’t want us to be house poor. I just started working three years ago (I am a physician and my wife is a nurse) so I have saved up enough to have a sizable down payment of up to 25-30% but want to definitely keep some funds liquid/have student loans looming. Don’t want to blow all our cash on the home and have nothing left to renovate and have no safety net.

However the market we are learning is much worse than we thought and I already started working at a hospital around Huntington in preparation for our move but the commute from the city to Huntington is killing me (trying to move within the next 6months, the 1.5hr commute on the lie one way is awful). So now I am trying to find a backup plan to our original idea of only searching in Huntington. We are seeing clear now that we will just have to look elsewhere like northport or south Huntington/hunt station or blow more of our cash to go over 1mill. Even green lawn has no decent houses for sale under a million.

Last edited by firstimelibuyer; 08-19-2023 at 08:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island