Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 11:07 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,403,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstimelibuyer View Post
Thank you so much for your rec!

We did end up looking further east but really wanted to stick closer to the LIRR for my wife’s job and commute into the city. Also wanted easier highway access than being so far north from the parkway. Northport is indeed really pretty and we would love to live there, but it’s gotten terribly expensive, as with all of CSH.

Due to our circumstances we decided to pursue a home in Maplewood in hunt station that meets all our needs, at least for now. The area seems ok as well after driving around it at many times if the day, but I guess we will find out.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...ource=txtshare

Thank you all so much for your help. I didn’t realize my post would be such a polarizing subject.
Lovely home hope you get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2023, 02:14 PM

16 posts, read 9,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Lovely home hope you get it.
Everything ended up working out . Just wanted to update in case it can help another buyer interested in Huntington/Huntington Station as we heard so many opinions from people when we were searching and we really didn't want to stray too far from our 900k budget or move further east away from the Huntington LIRR, highways and family in NYC.

We have since moved to the Maplewood section (East of Lenox) in Huntington Station and absolutely love it. The quality of home and property was affordable and we got so much more for our money than we would have if we stayed looking near the village (newly renovated, huge yard half acre lot, a pool etc.), Our neighbors are super nice and everyone is respectful, we even received a welcome basket welcoming us to the neighborhood. I've gone running around the whole maplewood section and have always felt safe minus the fast drivers on maplewood road and e rogues path. The neighborhood is also very pretty especially in the fall! which we didn't expect, beautiful trees and large home properties, especially off E rogues. Overall we feel like we made the right decision for us (wanted a forever home we can grow into, near highways and the train for our jobs but still near the village for fun.) Our location works for us since its convenient and closer to our stores, target, trader joes/costco in commack etc and super close to the mall and new whole foods/rei as opposed to further north in the village. My wife's 4min no traffic drive to Huntington LIRR express train for work is great.

I see what other posters mean though as if you go west of lenox closer to NY ave it definitely is much lower income and smaller "homes" that look like unkept rentals but even so when I have ran around or drove by it Ive never felt unsafe. In an ideal world I would love to live in Lloyd or CSH or Huntington Bay or near those areas but it really didn't make sense for us and prices there are still staying at 1million+, as well as most of the nicer parts of Harborfields school district. The areas like southdown and other parts of Huntington are surrounded by super wealthy neighborhoods and I see the appeal as mentioned before, but you will need to pay up for that which I understand now (Homes in our budget there needed a lot of work and had small lots and the demand there is crazy so cash buyers beat us easy). Our maplewood section seems kind of isolated I guess in a sense since west of lenox is "not so nice" and east of park ave toward Jericho is the same....but as NYC transplants where neighborhoods change in a matter of a block, it is perfectly fine for us, this may not work for everyone.

Thanks again all.

Last edited by firstimelibuyer; 12-04-2023 at 03:41 PM..

Old 12-04-2023, 03:13 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Congrats!
You hit the nail on the head talking about block by block. Always get input from people who KNOW not people who HEAR about an area. You will be fine there.

Last edited by twingles; 12-04-2023 at 03:28 PM..

Old 12-04-2023, 07:32 PM

1,464 posts, read 756,714 times
Congrats. At least you avoided the current police standoff. Your further east obviously. Imagine it was your first month on the block. Stuff happens everywhere anyways.

https://longisland.news12.com/suffol...n-station-home

“Suffolk County police say there is an active police investigation on New York Avenue and that the call came in at 3:40 p.m.
A tactical unit is on the scene, trying to communicate with a man inside a home.
ADVERTISING

A person, who appears to be the man’s daughter, spoke through a speaker, asking for her father to come outside to talk to her and to police.
The person inside the home flashed lights to indicate that he is still alive inside the home.
Stay with News 12 for further developments on this story.”

Think there was a stabbing at the Huntington holiday spectacular Also. Busy week

Old 12-04-2023, 08:14 PM

Saw that in my ring camera and saw it was in the south huntington section across form mall. Not near us thankfully. The stabbing sounds awful! In the busy village too. Last week on my ring there was a string of car break ins in halesite and centeport as well. Crime can happen anywhere. Thanks for the congrats

Old 12-05-2023, 04:19 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,175 times
There are reasons why “Maplewood section (East of Lenox) in Huntington Station” costs less than some areas (and more than others) in the Town of Huntington. Not breaking any real estate news there and not surprised to read of a satisfied homeowner.

Old 12-05-2023, 06:32 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,326,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
There are reasons why “Maplewood section (East of Lenox) in Huntington Station” costs less than some areas (and more than others) in the Town of Huntington. Not breaking any real estate news there and not surprised to read of a satisfied homeowner.
That area is fine. It’s the other areas that the SD pulls from that is the issue. I know people that moved from that area, west hills area and Melville triangle because of that. All went to CSH, HHH and commack. The one common denominator was more $$ for the house, all are happy that there kids are no longer in class where half the kids don’t speak English.

Old 12-05-2023, 09:59 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
Congrats. At least you avoided the current police standoff. Your further east obviously. Imagine it was your first month on the block. Stuff happens everywhere anyways.

https://longisland.news12.com/suffol...n-station-home

“Suffolk County police say there is an active police investigation on New York Avenue and that the call came in at 3:40 p.m.
A tactical unit is on the scene, trying to communicate with a man inside a home.
ADVERTISING

A person, who appears to be the man’s daughter, spoke through a speaker, asking for her father to come outside to talk to her and to police.
The person inside the home flashed lights to indicate that he is still alive inside the home.
Stay with News 12 for further developments on this story.”

Think there was a stabbing at the Huntington holiday spectacular Also. Busy week
Case in point - the standoff happened nowhere near where the OP bought.

Huntington Village is nowhere near where the OP bought.

Understand the larger point you're trying to make, kinda falls flat when it's all you can come up with.

I have friends that have lived in the area over 30 years with absolutely no issues. Their parents even longer.

Old 12-05-2023, 10:07 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,767,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
That area is fine. It’s the other areas that the SD pulls from that is the issue. I know people that moved from that area, west hills area and Melville triangle because of that. All went to CSH, HHH and commack. The one common denominator was more $$ for the house, all are happy that there kids are no longer in class where half the kids don’t speak English.
Yep, beautiful houses/neighborhoods in part of Amityville too but almost none of the kids in those houses are going to the school district.

Old 12-05-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Yup, would love to be in those areas but need a million + to find a decent house in those neighborhoods (minus commack but that was too far east for us). This is our first home and are a couple years from having school aged kids, so hopefully when we need to in 3-5 years we will have it figured out or can upgrade from our home now for one in those districts (also with more cash to throw down in a few years hopefully)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island