Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2022, 12:57 PM

983 posts, read 725,161 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, the one to blame is not the messenger but the GOP for failing to recruit decent people and failing to do their own research before throwing us a crappy person for us to vote for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2022, 02:20 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
In my opinion, the one to blame is not the messenger but the GOP for failing to recruit decent people and failing to do their own research before throwing us a crappy person for us to vote for.
I’m not surprised at all. The NY GOP is a joke. As for Santos the fact that neither Zimmerman nor Suozzi’s oppo research last election found this out blows my mind. Regardless it’s a little late now…

Old 12-19-2022, 02:52 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I’m not surprised at all. The NY GOP is a joke. As for Santos the fact that neither Zimmerman nor Suozzi’s oppo research last election found this out blows my mind. Regardless it’s a little late now…
Probably no one thought Santos would win. I voted for him but the guy looks like a complete fraud now. I worked for Citi and they fired people who lied on their resumes. Politics is different though. He needs to explain the claims in his bio.

Old 12-19-2022, 03:04 PM

22,185 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Yeah, it really is amazing this wasn't caught sooner. I can get Suozi's team not doing much oppo research to a point as the seat really wasn't on anyone's radar about being competitive in 2020. However, with it being an open seat, a stronger GOP year and redistricting making the district a bit more Republican (albeit slightly) this should have been something Zimmerman's team and the DCCC should have looked more into. They just took the race for granted, it showed with how they campaigned and the result and now this. Really is amazing.

Old 12-19-2022, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Probably no one thought Santos would win. I voted for him but the guy looks like a complete fraud now. I worked for Citi and they fired people who lied on their resumes. Politics is different though. He needs to explain the claims in his bio.
I sure didn’t think he would win. Funny he actually stealth edited his website in late October deleting any references to having been employed by Citi or Goldman according to axios.

This won’t keep him from serving his term though, Sen Blumenthal was caught red handed lying he served in Vietnam (to vets no less). He after getting slammed apologized and that was that. Santos will likely issue some vague apology and a lame excuse.

Old 12-19-2022, 05:54 PM

7,928 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
Right how did they fail so miserably in Opp Research 101?

Untouchable because he is a double minority?
Fair point. In this age of wokeness, would going after a double minority be acceptable?

Perhaps Santos can claim he had to fabricate his resume to make up for the white privledge Zimmerman has?

Old 12-19-2022, 06:41 PM

He finally released a lame statement on Twitter from his lawyer (which even has a fake quote from Winston Churchill) but didn’t refute or even deny a single thing.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Santos4Co...60538148360192

Old 12-20-2022, 08:04 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,084,354 times
Quote:
I sure didn’t think he would win. Funny he actually stealth edited his website in late October deleting any references to having been employed by Citi or Goldman according to axios.

This won’t keep him from serving his term though, Sen Blumenthal was caught red handed lying he served in Vietnam (to vets no less). He after getting slammed apologized and that was that. Santos will likely issue some vague apology and a lame excuse.
One lie or “misstatement” could be apologized for or explained away but Santos’s entire bio seems to be a fraud.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
One lie or “misstatement” could be apologized for or explained away but Santos’s entire bio seems to be a fraud.
Blatantly saying you served in Vietnam multiple times when you didn’t whatsoever isn’t even close to a “misstatement” and every bit as egregious as lying about your resume IMO. Regardless lying about your resume (or military service) isn’t illegal and very unlikely to end up in him resigning from congress (especially with the GOPs vote cushion only being 4) there will be little pressure from the GOP for him to resign over this. According to Newsday he told GOP leadership he will throughly address the allegations in the coming days. That should be interesting because I can’t see how he can possibly explain any of this. He will likely issue a lame apology for “exaggerating” some aspects of his past and just move on. If he pays a price it will be at the ballot box in 2024, if he even runs again

Old 12-20-2022, 09:50 AM

1,306 posts, read 1,664,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Fair point. In this age of wokeness, would going after a double minority be acceptable?

Perhaps Santos can claim he had to fabricate his resume to make up for the white privledge Zimmerman has?
Good insight, I like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island