Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 08:08 PM

54 posts, read 47,169 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Franklin Square, In 2015 moved to Cary,NC with my wife and daughter. We lived here for about 4 years then moved to Mckinney,TX for 2 years, then back to NC. I didn’t really care for NC then and really dislike it now. I did however like TX, unfortunately that didn’t work out. Im really hoping to head back to Long Island or just head somewhere north, I just need to get out of the south. Has anyone done anything similar? If so was it worth it and where did you end up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2022, 08:32 PM

913 posts, read 884,831 times
We also moved to Cary NC and lived there for almost 7 years. It was nice but never felt like home. We have been back in Nassau County since 2018 and couldn't be happier.
I have my last one in high school, so that was one reason we moved back. The schools are county wide and can and do change very quickly. The other reasons were that we just missed so much from NY that you can never get in other states. The most important thing of all is this is where we feel like we are home.

Old 09-10-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
We also moved to Cary NC and lived there for almost 7 years. It was nice but never felt like home. We have been back in Nassau County since 2018 and couldn't be happier.
I have my last one in high school, so that was one reason we moved back. The schools are county wide and can and do change very quickly. The other reasons were that we just missed so much from NY that you can never get in other states. The most important thing of all is this is where we feel like we are home.
The feeling is mutual, NC doesn’t feel like home to me at all. I miss so many things about NY. I’m heading up next week to visit my uncle, words can not express how excited I am just to visit.

Old 09-11-2022, 01:10 AM

785 posts, read 483,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisacm2117 View Post
I grew up in Franklin Square, In 2015 moved to Cary,NC with my wife and daughter. We lived here for about 4 years then moved to Mckinney,TX for 2 years, then back to NC. I didn’t really care for NC then and really dislike it now. I did however like TX, unfortunately that didn’t work out. Im really hoping to head back to Long Island or just head somewhere north, I just need to get out of the south. Has anyone done anything similar? If so was it worth it and where did you end up
I think it really depends on what stage of life you are in. I know several people I grew up with from the Queens/Nassau area that relocated to NC as their kids were young. They didn't want to raise their kids in the NYC area, and I don't blame them. Sure, NY will always be apart of all of us. It's in our DNA, but the NY we all were born/raised is disappearing by the day.

Personally, I've done a lot of work travel over the years and did not like the mid/atlantic states at all. Virginia, NC/SC, Georgia. Just very boring. Nothing distinct. I also lived in TX back in the late 90s for about a year for work. Didn't like it there either.

However, I just turned 50 yrs old and have been planning my escape over the last year or two. Will eventually sell the house and relocate to either Vegas or Florida. Ideally I'd love to move to Orange County, CA if I could afford it but that's likely not so. Back in June, I spent a week exploring every inch of the Tampa area and looked at lots of condo complexes. Overall Tampa was a bit underwhelming, but I'd probably still take living there in my later years of life vs. being stuck in NY. For so many reasons (affordability, weather, things go do, crime and political leanings).

I mean good lord, people are getting car jacked in their driveways in places like Roslyn and North Hills. Unheard of prior to the BLM riots of 2020. NYC is cooked. LI is on its way.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:08 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
I am not a native of LI, grew up in queens, so I cant wait to GTFO this POS island. Traffic, rude entitled morons, high taxes, crap roads. I seriously don't see the draw, other than bagels, and pizza. Only thing holding me here is my job. 4 more years, and I'm out. I couldn't imagine moving back here. WTF!

Old 09-11-2022, 06:49 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
We spent the first just shy of 60 years on LI. We relocated to Delaware and never looked back. We have a great life here and visit family still there. We loved LI and it was the best place ever to grow up and mature. But for us, an that is all I can speak to, we made the right choice.

We have no regrets at all. My sister came here about 4 years ago and she too, loves her life here. It is all about where you are in your life and your philosophy. Unfortunately, we were unable to have children, otherwise we probably would not have left if they remained there.

As far as places changing, unless you are going to a totally polar opposite environment than you came from it is the same all over. Some of our friends here are natives, and to hear them talk now about this place it is like Armageddon. Congested and lots of traffic and shopping etc. No matter where you live time marches on.

When we go back to LI, it seems like people are not maintaining the neighborhoods like they uses to, it seems dirtier and over all different. Stores have changed, homeowners have changed and people have passed on.

If I were to offer advice to anyone moving it would be - don't get there and wish for this shop and that shop, or this eatery or this was better on LI. Embrace all your new home has to offer. To this day, I wish I had a Trader Joe's nearer to me, but I don't and so when I go back to LI that is always a stop I make. I knew when I moved here that we only had outlets for shopping or local shops and that the "mall" was about 80 miles away - do-able but not around the block. I knew we did not fit the TJ's business model, so that would never happen and it now always part of a fun day trip.

Old 09-11-2022, 07:41 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Why did you leave NY in the first place?

I think people who can't be happy in any given place need to sit down with themselves and figure out what the problem really is. Ultimately you have to live with YOURSELF regardless of where you are.

We bought our house here in NC from someone like you. Didn't want to stay in NY - too expensive. Moved to FL. Too many hurricanes. Visited friends in Charlotte and decided to move to NC (but moved to Raleigh area - go figure).

We bought the house from them as they were planning on returning to NY. By the time we signed the contract NY was too expensive (no sheet, you moved away for that very reason 6 years earlier). They moved on to looking into CT. Then their daughter got her "dream job" here.

PS they all still live here, and the daughter has had about 5-6 jobs since that "dream job" was landed in 2010. The man is still bitching about living here and wanting to go back to NY. He's been gone almost 20 years. GET.OVER.IT. Or do something to allow you to go back.

Get out of your own way and figure out what you really want, how you can get it, and what you may need to compromise on. Moving is expensive. Stop chasing something that may not exist.

Last edited by twingles; 09-11-2022 at 07:50 AM..

Old 09-11-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I am not a native of LI, grew up in queens, so I cant wait to GTFO this POS island. Traffic, rude entitled morons, high taxes, crap roads. I seriously don't see the draw, other than bagels, and pizza. Only thing holding me here is my job. 4 more years, and I'm out. I couldn't imagine moving back here. WTF!
Yes, but have you every lived anywhere else? I felt the same way when I left, after about 6 months the newness wore off . You’ve listed the negatives of Long Island, But remember all places have positive and negative aspects.

P.S saying WTF to someone is rude

Old 09-11-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Why did you leave NY in the first place?

I think people who can't be happy in any given place need to sit down with themselves and figure out what the problem really is. Ultimately you have to live with YOURSELF regardless of where you are.

We bought our house here in NC from someone like you. Didn't want to stay in NY - too expensive. Moved to FL. Too many hurricanes. Visited friends in Charlotte and decided to move to NC (but moved to Raleigh area - go figure).

We bought the house from them as they were planning on returning to NY. By the time we signed the contract NY was too expensive (no sheet, you moved away for that very reason 6 years earlier). They moved on to looking into CT. Then their daughter got her "dream job" here.

PS they all still live here, and the daughter has had about 5-6 jobs since that "dream job" was landed in 2010. The man is still bitching about living here and wanting to go back to NY. He's been gone almost 20 years. GET.OVER.IT. Or do something to allow you to go back.

Get out of your own way and figure out what you really want, how you can get it, and what you may need to compromise on. Moving is expensive. Stop chasing something that may not exist.
Like most New Yorkers that move I left because my money would go further outside the tri-state. But guess what having a nice home somewhere you don’t enjoy sucks. I’m not sure how to take your post, but I’m glad you like NC. For some reason NC natives or people who enjoy NC always seam to get mad if you don’t like the place, not sure if that the case here

Old 09-11-2022, 08:33 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisacm2117 View Post
Like most New Yorkers that move I left because my money would go further outside the tri-state. But guess what having a nice home somewhere you don’t enjoy sucks. I’m not sure how to take your post, but I’m glad you like NC. For some reason NC natives or people who enjoy NC always seam to get mad if you don’t like the place, not sure if that the case here
And people who don't like NC always think people who like it here are trying to convince you to like it. I'm not. I couldn't care less if someone stays or goes home (or wherever). I'm a big proponent of doing what makes you happy. FWIW I wouldn't like living in FV either. Just not my cup of tea.

I'm not surprised you don't know how to take my post, because I'm trying to get you to examine your life decisions. Most people don't want to do that. I think that YOU think if you find the perfect location you'll be happy, but life doesn't work like that.

Just as an example I read one of your older posts where you say Chapel Hill is your fave city in NC then go on to make a laundry list of everything wrong with it. What?! If you ask me what's my favorite anything it is not going to be followed by what I hate about it.

I simply think you don't know what you want, or you know what you want but have absolutely no idea of how to get there. That's all. I don't care whether you like NC or anyplace else. My life doesn't change one iota and I hope yours is cautionary tale for anyone who thinks they can pick up and move somewhere without doing the hard work of asking themselves why they want to make that move and what they hope they get out of it.

I DO wish you luck (really).

Last edited by twingles; 09-11-2022 at 08:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island