Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2022, 10:58 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I hate bugs too, plus you have to deal with fire ants, sometimes gators and snakes. My nephew lives on the gulf coast of Florida, his dog got bit by a snake in the yard. He dad to put him down.
Fire ant bites were the WORST! Not to mention those nasty banana spiders, snakes, gators in pretty much every fresh water body (even small subdivision manmade ponds), brutal summer heat and humidity for months, the rotten egg sulfur smell of the sprinkler water, also the sun is so intense and eventually bleaches out everything. Every time i go back to visit I'm happy i left.

Last edited by peconic117; 09-12-2022 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
I am not having the same experience living here as you at all.
I love my neighborhood and my neighbors. I never feel unsafe going into the city at all.
I love the proximity to the beaches and the mountains.
The variety of restaurant choices are endless.
I love the walkability to all my daily needs.
I like having access to some of the best doctors and hospitals in the country.
These are just some of the things I like here.
It is a wonderful place to be young and retired if one can afford it. Thankfully we can.
Overall I'm happy here as well as always some of the typical LI malcontents beyond exaggerate about a ton of things and act like LI is worse than south Detroit, its ridiculous. Does this place have issues? Absolutely, taxes are terrible, politics in NY are the worst etc. etc. but there is still a lot to like about this place and still great neighborhoods to live in. And please spare me the rose colored glasses "it was better when i was a kid" nostalgia crap. Everyone everywhere says the same thing "oh Nashville/Charlotte/Tampa was such a great place to grow up until half the northeast moved down here". Everyone likes to pretend the past was better as if it was problem free paradise for all.

Old 09-12-2022, 12:10 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisacm2117 View Post
I grew up in Franklin Square, In 2015 moved to Cary,NC with my wife and daughter. We lived here for about 4 years then moved to Mckinney,TX for 2 years, then back to NC. I didn’t really care for NC then and really dislike it now. I did however like TX, unfortunately that didn’t work out. Im really hoping to head back to Long Island or just head somewhere north, I just need to get out of the south. Has anyone done anything similar? If so was it worth it and where did you end up
We lived in CA for a year. At first, it was wonderful (and I wish we could go back in time to visit!), but after earthquakes, wildfires, and no real seasons, we returned to buy a house. At that time, not only could we not afford a California house, but we wanted TREES and more than a postage stamp's worth of surrounding land.

So back to LI for a house.

Old 09-12-2022, 01:14 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Overall I'm happy here as well as always some of the typical LI malcontents beyond exaggerate about a ton of things and act like LI is worse than south Detroit, its ridiculous. Does this place have issues? Absolutely, taxes are terrible, politics in NY are the worst etc. etc. but there is still a lot to like about this place and still great neighborhoods to live in. And please spare me the rose colored glasses "it was better when i was a kid" nostalgia crap. Everyone everywhere says the same thing "oh Nashville/Charlotte/Tampa was such a great place to grow up until half the northeast moved down here". Everyone likes to pretend the past was better as if it was problem free paradise for all.
Reminds me of my favorite quote.
Written by me.
In regards to the good old days and nostalgia…

“In the past, the present sucked”
-hotkarl

Yes, truly wise beyond my years. And ears…

Old 09-12-2022, 01:19 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,103,535 times
LOL Karl

Old 09-12-2022, 02:30 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
That part about nostalgia reminded me of the ‘Wear Sunscreen’ speech:
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia. Dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it's worth.

Old 09-12-2022, 03:23 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I'd rather my dog have those problems, than a stray bullet hitting him.
So much drama.

Nassau County was named the safest community in America by U.S. News & World Report for the second year in a row.

https://www.usnews.com/news/healthie.../nassau-county

Old 09-12-2022, 03:55 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,711 times
Quote:
If you think stray bullets never happen in FL (or that in general its all "low crime" there lol ) then obviously you have never actually lived there.
It's a joke. Relax.

Old 09-12-2022, 04:56 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
I am not having the same experience living here as you at all.
I love my neighborhood and my neighbors. I never feel unsafe going into the city at all.
I love the proximity to the beaches and the mountains.
The variety of restaurant choices are endless.
I love the walkability to all my daily needs.
I like having access to some of the best doctors and hospitals in the country.
These are just some of the things I like here.
It is a wonderful place to be young and retired if one can afford it. Thankfully we can.
Not sure how you do not see anything I described. I don’t feel unsafe but wouldn’t bring my wife and kids into NYC when all this crap is going on. Next door neighbor is a cop and she arrests people with guns that were used in previous crime and they are back out on the street before she is done with the paperwork.

I hate the beach. The Spanish music blasting, the sand, the filthy cesspool that is the Atlantic Ocean that leaves a film of grime on you when you get out. I haven’t gone to JOnes Beach since the early 80a.

I’m not a restaurant person at all. I think it’s a waste of money and like to have some control of what I eat so that it is not flooded with fat and sodium.

I do like that most things I need are in walking or short car ride distance

Bets Drs and Hospitals are good too but there are many great one in other locations. That would not keep me here. I would want the same wherever I go.

Terrible place to retire because most people could never afford it as time goes on. Property taxes will continue to rise and it will easily cost $20k year just to pay taxes. The only thing keeping me here, in a state of unhappiness, is the wife

Old 09-12-2022, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Not sure how you do not see anything I described. I don’t feel unsafe but wouldn’t bring my wife and kids into NYC when all this crap is going on. Next door neighbor is a cop and she arrests people with guns that were used in previous crime and they are back out on the street before she is done with the paperwork.

The city is the city, yes crime has spiked there due partly to idiotic bail and city government policies but its still nowhere NEAR as bad as the 70's and 80's the chance of something happening to you in good/tourist areas is still extremely low, no point in living in fear.

I hate the beach. The Spanish music blasting, the sand, the filthy cesspool that is the Atlantic Ocean that leaves a film of grime on you when you get out. I haven’t gone to JOnes Beach since the early 80a.

LOL good for you. Go to the midwest then, plenty of people love the beach. And who says you have to go to Jones beach plenty of resident only beaches on LI where you don't have any city riff raff.

I’m not a restaurant person at all. I think it’s a waste of money and like to have some control of what I eat so that it is not flooded with fat and sodium.

Again that's your opinion personally I think if you don't go to any restaurants you are really missing out, but that's just me.

I do like that most things I need are in walking or short car ride distance

Agreed

Bets Drs and Hospitals are good too but there are many great one in other locations. That would not keep me here. I would want the same wherever I go.

Agree plenty of good medical facilities and doctors in most decent/desirable areas of the US, although NYC does have some world class ones

Terrible place to retire because most people could never afford it as time goes on. Property taxes will continue to rise and it will easily cost $20k year just to pay taxes. The only thing keeping me here, in a state of unhappiness, is the wife

Not going to argue here LI (and the rest of downstate NY) is not a great place to retire at all.
Responses in red
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island