Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2022, 02:51 PM

690 posts, read 585,347 times

Advertisements

Left Franklin Square last year, zero regrets. While I wish we could've moved further south, we settled in NW NJ. My husband has some time left, before he can retire. It's hardly utopia here, and certainly has its draw backs, but it is leaps and bounds above LI. LI is absolutely soul sucking, for the plethora of reasons mentioned above. I would imagine the LI you left (certainly the FS you left), is gone.

I also agree with above poster to visit extensively; not just a few days. You need a real dose of what the reality of LI is now. I also agree with Twingles, that if one is happy, you can make the best of anywhere. Grew up in CT, school in Indiana, couple years in the Caribbean bartending, Astoria for a decade. Have fond memories of all, but also realistic to their drawbacks. Best of luck wherever you end up.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2022, 02:53 PM

690 posts, read 585,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
My dad, who is 90, has been waxing poetic about living in Huntington and how he loved living there. My parents left Huntington almost 20 years ago.

I told him - you don't miss Huntington, you miss who you were when you lived there (ie, young, could work hours in the yard, grandkids were little and fun, etc etc). It takes him 10 minutes to get off the couch nowadays. Youngest grandchild just off to college.
Hell his GREAT grandkids are in school. He wants his young self back. Moving back to Huntington would just be same crap different place.

Too many people mistake nostalgia for realism.
Your last sentence, is one of the truest statements I have ever seen. WELL said Twings.

Old 09-11-2022, 04:59 PM

54 posts, read 47,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
Left Franklin Square last year, zero regrets. While I wish we could've moved further south, we settled in NW NJ. My husband has some time left, before he can retire. It's hardly utopia here, and certainly has its draw backs, but it is leaps and bounds above LI. LI is absolutely soul sucking, for the plethora of reasons mentioned above. I would imagine the LI you left (certainly the FS you left), is gone.

I also agree with above poster to visit extensively; not just a few days. You need a real dose of what the reality of LI is now. I also agree with Twingles, that if one is happy, you can make the best of anywhere. Grew up in CT, school in Indiana, couple years in the Caribbean bartending, Astoria for a decade. Have fond memories of all, but also realistic to their drawbacks. Best of luck wherever you end up.
I’m really confused by your reply. You say if one is happy, they can make the best of anywhere. Then you tell me you moved to Jersey and basically when you husband retires hopefully you will move again. You don’t see anything wrong with that? And yes you may be correct, I might not like Long Island anymore when I come and visit. But I’m happy and I sure as hell don’t like it here in NC.

P.S my wife is from Jersey it’s not bad, that might be a good option for me come to think of it

Last edited by chrisacm2117; 09-11-2022 at 05:09 PM..

Old 09-11-2022, 05:12 PM

7,932 posts, read 9,158,452 times
I am a Franklin Square resident and agree with Scampy that the town has certainly changed for the worse in the 30 years I have been here.

To get the Franklin Square of 2015 you would have to head east, but even then you may not find it.

The world has changed since then and the area reflects it. More urban decay, more crowded, less community feel. Hempstead Turnpike has the same vibe from Queens Village through Uniondale.

Old 09-11-2022, 05:16 PM

54 posts, read 47,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I am a Franklin Square resident and agree with Scampy that the town has certainly changed for the worse in the 30 years I have been here.

To get the Franklin Square of 2015 you would have to head east, but even then you may not find it.

The world has changed since then and the area reflects it. More urban decay, more crowded, less community feel. Hempstead Turnpike has the same vibe from Queens Village through Uniondale.
I believe you, it was turning when I left. My cousins moved east my uncle stayed in the square. Like I said earlier replies I might just need to get out of the south. Maybe Long Island is not the place for me anymore either, I still think somewhere in the northeast would be a better fit for me, just have to find the right place

Old 09-11-2022, 05:24 PM

7,932 posts, read 9,158,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisacm2117 View Post
I believe you, it was turning when I left. My cousins moved east my uncle stayed in the square. Like I said earlier replies I might just need to get out of the south. Maybe Long Island is not the place for me anymore either, I still think somewhere in the northeast would be a better fit for me, just have to find the right place
Lots of beautiful places in the northeast for sure.
Down south can be nice but it is a culture difference. If you move to a southern area full of NY ers then you are with the same jerks you were trying to get away from who made the place so bad to begin with!

Old 09-11-2022, 05:30 PM

913 posts, read 886,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I am curious what you missed about NY. I,Ives here my whole life. Aside from being familiar with every nook and cranny, I cannot think of much I like about it. The traffic is horrendous. The people that are coming here, most likely flooding in from the border, make me feel like I am the foreigner. The people are rude than ever. You cannot go to NYC at this point with all the crime they are allowing. Other than bagels, nails, chines take out, pizza on every other street corner, what is there to miss? Y is not the same place I grew up in the 60s and 70s. It is not even close to the Ny of the 80s or 90s. It has all gone downhill. People going to stores in pajamas and ragged clothes. It’s crazy. It maybe that way in other places too. I have nothing to compare it to because I don’t know what it is like in other places.
I am not having the same experience living here as you at all.
I love my neighborhood and my neighbors. I never feel unsafe going into the city at all.
I love the proximity to the beaches and the mountains.
The variety of restaurant choices are endless.
I love the walkability to all my daily needs.
I like having access to some of the best doctors and hospitals in the country.
These are just some of the things I like here.
It is a wonderful place to be young and retired if one can afford it. Thankfully we can.

Old 09-11-2022, 05:47 PM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Lots of beautiful places in the northeast for sure.
Down south can be nice but it is a culture difference. If you move to a southern area full of NY ers then you are with the same jerks you were trying to get away from who made the place so bad to begin with!
There’s no place like the North East.
I just couldn’t ever, never ever, live in the south.
Ever. I love New England in general. Maine, NH, parts of VT, they’re just awesome.
They all have dumpy areas like NYC/Schlong Island, but once you get away from metro areas it’s a different world. And you would mostly feel at home, as it’s all very familiar, similar.
It’s not like going to palm trees, bugs, and smothering miserable humidity.

Old 09-11-2022, 06:19 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,162,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
I am not having the same experience living here as you at all.
I love my neighborhood and my neighbors. I never feel unsafe going into the city at all.
I love the proximity to the beaches and the mountains.
The variety of restaurant choices are endless.
I love the walkability to all my daily needs.
I like having access to some of the best doctors and hospitals in the country.
These are just some of the things I like here.
It is a wonderful place to be young and retired if one can afford it. Thankfully we can.
This right here is what I feel separate the masses. If you have the coin to live here and enjoy it all then it’s great. But when you’re stuck in your house scrambling to pay that $13k tax bill it becomes less fun really fast.

As for me I’m just done with the winters at this point. But I don’t want 12 months of summer either. So I’ll probably end up snow birding when the time comes.

Old 09-11-2022, 07:12 PM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
OP, do you have any criteria for what you are looking for in a community or neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island