Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2022, 06:11 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times

Advertisements

I like living here for a few reasons. I love my job and my boss, I love that I am less than 10 minutes from a small local beach.
Grocery stores, restaurants etc. are close by and I don't have to travel very far to any of them. I hate the winter and the snow, & traffic. My taxes aren't crazy but they aren't cheap either. I think we pay about 7,000 for the year. We stay because both of our mom's are here and both have health issues. My husband would leave tomorrow if he had a choice and I can wait a few more years. We don't want to leave our mom's right now and they would never come with us. We both can take our jobs with us if we had to we would just work remotely.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 06:33 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
My taxes aren't crazy but they aren't cheap either. I think we pay about 7,000 for the year.
Do you live in a shoe?

Old 09-12-2022, 07:07 PM

913 posts, read 886,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Not sure how you do not see anything I described. I don’t feel unsafe but wouldn’t bring my wife and kids into NYC when all this crap is going on. Next door neighbor is a cop and she arrests people with guns that were used in previous crime and they are back out on the street before she is done with the paperwork.

I hate the beach. The Spanish music blasting, the sand, the filthy cesspool that is the Atlantic Ocean that leaves a film of grime on you when you get out. I haven’t gone to JOnes Beach since the early 80a.

I’m not a restaurant person at all. I think it’s a waste of money and like to have some control of what I eat so that it is not flooded with fat and sodium.

I do like that most things I need are in walking or short car ride distance

Bets Drs and Hospitals are good too but there are many great one in other locations. That would not keep me here. I would want the same wherever I go.

Terrible place to retire because most people could never afford it as time goes on. Property taxes will continue to rise and it will easily cost $20k year just to pay taxes. The only thing keeping me here, in a state of unhappiness, is the wife
Well I guess variety is the spice of life. We enjoy the city often and don't hesitate to take my daughter with us. I enjoy all different types of things. Maybe you just have limited interests in which case you can live anywhere I guess.

My taxes are 9k, so a long way to 20k. They will only go down when we receive the enhanced star. Another nice NY perk is the first 40k of retirement distribution is untaxed for a married couple, that's on top of the standard deduction for a total of 65,900 not taxed. On top of that social security is not taxed in NY. So it's actually a pretty retirement friendly state.

We learned during covid what it cost us in just basic living expenses as there was no travel or dining out and were surprised to see our basic costs were about 38,000. (boy did 2020 suck)

I guess the point is some people are doing fine with very little overhead here and those are the ones who seem to enjoy it.

An unhappy person will be unhappy anywhere they go. That's my 2 cents.

Old 09-12-2022, 07:40 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,067 times
Laurdrops,
“ An unhappy person will be unhappy anywhere they go. That's my 2 cents.”

So paying one of the highest in property taxes makes one happy? (I know, yours are 9k)
Paying one of the highest for rent & property values/mortgage makes one happy?

Saving a few grand just in mortgage/property taxes can make me real happy! More money to travel & enjoy myself. Unfortunately, 5 years to go.

Old 09-12-2022, 07:45 PM

54 posts, read 47,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Laurdrops,
“ An unhappy person will be unhappy anywhere they go. That's my 2 cents.”

So paying one of the highest in property taxes makes one happy? (I know, yours are 9k)
Paying one of the highest for rent & property values/mortgage makes one happy?

Saving a few grand just in mortgage/property taxes can make me real happy! More money to travel & enjoy myself. Unfortunately, 5 years to go.
Your better of enjoying your life now, never know when your time is up.

Old 09-12-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
Well I guess variety is the spice of life. We enjoy the city often and don't hesitate to take my daughter with us. I enjoy all different types of things. Maybe you just have limited interests in which case you can live anywhere I guess.

My taxes are 9k, so a long way to 20k. They will only go down when we receive the enhanced star. Another nice NY perk is the first 40k of retirement distribution is untaxed for a married couple, that's on top of the standard deduction for a total of 65,900 not taxed. On top of that social security is not taxed in NY. So it's actually a pretty retirement friendly state.

We learned during covid what it cost us in just basic living expenses as there was no travel or dining out and were surprised to see our basic costs were about 38,000. (boy did 2020 suck)

I guess the point is some people are doing fine with very little overhead here and those are the ones who seem to enjoy it.

An unhappy person will be unhappy anywhere they go. That's my 2 cents.
People don’t know what they got till the don’t have it anymore. Took me a few moves and few years to realize it. I wouldn’t pay to much attention to the people on city data, I forgot how grumpy they are

Old 09-12-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
Not sure how you do not see anything I described. I don’t feel unsafe but wouldn’t bring my wife and kids into NYC when all this crap is going on. Next door neighbor is a cop and she arrests people with guns that were used in previous crime and they are back out on the street before she is done with the paperwork.

I hate the beach. The Spanish music blasting, the sand, the filthy cesspool that is the Atlantic Ocean that leaves a film of grime on you when you get out. I haven’t gone to JOnes Beach since the early 80a.

I’m not a restaurant person at all. I think it’s a waste of money and like to have some control of what I eat so that it is not flooded with fat and sodium.

I do like that most things I need are in walking or short car ride distance

Bets Drs and Hospitals are good too but there are many great one in other locations. That would not keep me here. I would want the same wherever I go.

Terrible place to retire because most people could never afford it as time goes on. Property taxes will continue to rise and it will easily cost $20k year just to pay taxes. The only thing keeping me here, in a state of unhappiness, is the wife
You sound like a grumpy old man, do you like anything at all? I feel bad for your wife

Old 09-12-2022, 08:02 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisacm2117 View Post
I Definitely enjoy now! Absolutely! Can enjoy more with a few more grand in my pocket! LOL

Old 09-12-2022, 08:28 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisacm2117 View Post
Exactly and there is more to life than just lower property taxes and a lower COL

Old 09-12-2022, 08:41 PM

20,051 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Exactly and there is more to life than just lower property taxes and a lower COL
Yes!
Like drunken chicken juggling!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island