Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2022, 07:59 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,339,548 times

Advertisements

I moved down south was in NC for a brief time then west coast Florida. I loved Florida but when 2009 hit and the economy got crappy, I survived 3 rounds then got laid off. All jobs where offering 30k less. I applied in NY got 2 offers making more in weeks. We rented the condo we owned and moved to Queens. Wife got a union teaching job in 1st year. We didn’t have kids yet so it was easy. Once the kids graduate HS or a pension buyout offer happens we will move back to Florida. I’m lucky my taxes are dirt cheap for LI standards, but our house in FL where we plan to retire is the same size larger lot and can walk to water is 5k a year.

I think you need to live somewhere for 2 years before you can really determine if you like it or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2022, 05:47 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,540,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisacm2117 View Post
I grew up in Franklin Square, In 2015 moved to Cary,NC with my wife and daughter. We lived here for about 4 years then moved to Mckinney,TX for 2 years, then back to NC. I didn’t really care for NC then and really dislike it now. I did however like TX, unfortunately that didn’t work out. Im really hoping to head back to Long Island or just head somewhere north, I just need to get out of the south. Has anyone done anything similar? If so was it worth it and where did you end up
Have you been back here within the past few years?
I’ll try to be positive.
-Roads are horrible (Some finally getting re-paved)
-Taxes STILL out of control & keep increasing
-Utilities, one of the highest
-Traffic gets worse every year. Almost every hour is rush hour.
-Housing, people biding tens of thousands OVER asking. That’s starting to slow down as interest rates rise
Just to name a few

I have never left & lived here all my life. I moved further “out east” years ago to get away from all of the above. Especially for the traffic. However, Its just like Nassau County now.

5 more years to go! Outa here! This is NOT the place to retire to. There is life after Long Island.

Good luck!

Old 09-12-2022, 06:25 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,130,079 times
I like the change of seasons. The northeast gives you the best of that. I couldn't deal with the heat of the south all year round. New England seems like the ideal area, but close to the coastal areas.

Old 09-12-2022, 06:53 AM

20,145 posts, read 20,937,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I like the change of seasons. The northeast gives you the best of that. I couldn't deal with the heat of the south all year round. New England seems like the ideal area, but close to the coastal areas.
Totally agree.
Only thing is most of the coastal areas are similar to LI with congestion, expenses, etc…

Old 09-12-2022, 07:14 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,940,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisacm2117 View Post
I grew up in Franklin Square, In 2015 moved to Cary,NC with my wife and daughter. We lived here for about 4 years then moved to Mckinney,TX for 2 years, then back to NC. I didn’t really care for NC then and really dislike it now. I did however like TX, unfortunately that didn’t work out. Im really hoping to head back to Long Island or just head somewhere north, I just need to get out of the south. Has anyone done anything similar? If so was it worth it and where did you end up
Personally, I think you are ‘onto something’ & best wishes in your search.
The search is what anyone would undertake if he were not sunk in the everydayness of his own life. To become aware of the possibility of the search is to be onto something. Not to be onto something is to be in despair.”
~Walker Percy
I think LI culture is like clam chowder, LI clam chowder is a satisfying mixture of Manhattan-style & New England-style clam chowder.

Personally I like the mix, ‘different strokes for different folks’.

Old 09-12-2022, 07:17 AM

2,607 posts, read 3,410,529 times
Quote:
I do not understand people moving to Florida. You have to deal with unbearable heat for 6-7 months of the year. On top of that the bugs. There's something about the mosquitos there. The itching and irritation from a bite down there lasts weeks. I was just down there in early May and it was so damn hot. I met up with a buddy who retired and moved there. He told me that you're basically indoors all the time during those 6-7 months.
Why would you want to live like that?

I really don't know where I'd like to move to when I retire. I don't think it's here but Florida certainly isn't it.

Old 09-12-2022, 07:29 AM

5,536 posts, read 7,130,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I do not understand people moving to Florida. You have to deal with unbearable heat for 6-7 months of the year. On top of that the bugs. There's something about the mosquitos there. The itching and irritation from a bite down there lasts weeks. I was just down there in early May and it was so damn hot. I met up with a buddy who retired and moved there. He told me that you're basically indoors all the time during those 6-7 months.
Why would you want to live like that?

I really don't know where I'd like to move to when I retire. I don't think it's here but Florida certainly isn't it.
I hate bugs too, plus you have to deal with fire ants, sometimes gators and snakes. My nephew lives on the gulf coast of Florida, his dog got bit by a snake in the yard. He dad to put him down.

Old 09-12-2022, 07:36 AM

20,145 posts, read 20,937,684 times
Here’s a question…

Anybody move away, move back, move away again, move back, and then move away again only to think about moving back again?

Old 09-12-2022, 10:32 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,415,117 times
Quote:
I hate bugs too, plus you have to deal with fire ants, sometimes gators and snakes. My nephew lives on the gulf coast of Florida, his dog got bit by a snake in the yard. He dad to put him down.
I'd rather my dog have those problems, than a stray bullet hitting him.

Old 09-12-2022, 10:55 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,785,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I'd rather my dog have those problems, than a stray bullet hitting him.
If you think stray bullets never happen in FL (or that in general its all "low crime" there lol ) then obviously you have never actually lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island