Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2014, 01:07 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,416,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AakaashBPhoto View Post
Hey guys, I'm new here.

I've been fairly attached to Kings Park Psychiatric Center lately. I really can't wait for it to get warmer so I can go back and visit again.

Here's a link to some pictures I took of KPPC. I love the place so much that I gave it a dedicated gallery on my website, hah!

Aakaash B. Photography | Kings Park Psychiatric Center

Hope you guys like em!

It looks just like photographic tours I've seen of Pilgrim Psychiatric Center in Brentwood (Suffolk County, NY). And I've also seen Pilgrim's enormous land area and property in-person various times.

It is rather rare and unusual to see such tall and enormous buildings anywhere on Long Island and then especially in Suffolk County. Pilgrim and Kings Park have the rarest examples of such tallness and size of buildings on Long Island, with the only other buildings I can think of that are so tall being Stony Brook University Hospital's main building (Stony Brook) and Nassau University Medical Center's main building (East Meadow). Such structures as all those mentioned stand out so starkly against the rest of Long Island's landscape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2014, 08:20 PM

260 posts, read 451,416 times
Nice photos. Scary effects. Ive been to both places doing contractor work. Scary at night hearing the screams!

Old 02-03-2014, 07:07 PM

13 posts, read 32,496 times
Thanks guys!

I haven't made it out to Pilgrim as yet, though I plan on it as soon as it gets a little warmer. I actually took those photos pre-gear upgrade. So now I'm due to visit both Pilgrim and KPPC to play with my new toys lol.

I did attend SBU for a year and I graduated from Hofstra, so I definitely know exactly what buildings you're talking about. They are indeed sort of strange contrasted with the rest of LI's scenery.

Tiger_Scout: when did you last do work at KPPC? You probably heard the screams of explorers attempting to stay there overnight. Without giving myself away, I do plan an overnight stay in #93 this summer :P

Old 02-03-2014, 09:35 PM

884 posts, read 1,406,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger_Scout View Post
Nice photos. Scary effects. Ive been to both places doing contractor work. Scary at night hearing the screams!
Sorry that was me. I'll try to keep it down next time.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:55 AM

Default About Pilgrim Psychiatric Center (Brentwood, Suffolk County, NY)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AakaashBPhoto View Post
Thanks guys!

I haven't made it out to Pilgrim as yet, though I plan on it as soon as it gets a little warmer. I actually took those photos pre-gear upgrade. So now I'm due to visit both Pilgrim and KPPC to play with my new toys lol.

I did attend SBU for a year and I graduated from Hofstra, so I definitely know exactly what buildings you're talking about. They are indeed sort of strange contrasted with the rest of LI's scenery.

Tiger_Scout: when did you last do work at KPPC? You probably heard the screams of explorers attempting to stay there overnight. Without giving myself away, I do plan an overnight stay in #93 this summer :P

Unlike Kings Park Psychiatric Center or KPPC (which, to my knowledge-- assuming I'm correct --is not at all in use for anything now but just abandoned), the main and largest (i.e., tallest) building of Pilgrim is in active use as a psychiatric hospital to-date and is called Pilgrim Psychiatric Center. They have a MUSEUM on their campus which details the history of Pilgrim State Hospital and now Pilgrim Psychiatric Center and covers, to some degree, the history of psychiatry as practiced in psychiatric hospitals. There are said to be any number of other buildings on that very, very large expanse of property owned by Pilgrim that are closed and abandoned from its earlier days. (At one time, it was the largest hospital of any type in the entire world.)

Old 02-09-2014, 07:45 AM

260 posts, read 451,416 times
I was at KP when they still had patients. I think you're going to love Pilgrim State.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:02 AM

13 posts, read 32,496 times
If this snow would ever let up, I'd make my way out to Pilgrim. Getting real tired of this weather.

Old 03-01-2014, 05:04 PM

246 posts, read 471,046 times
Pretty glad to come across this thread. Just a few nights ago I was doing my own research about the railroad spurs that serve both of these hospitals. I was looking at Google maps the other day and did not realize that the Railspur begins near the heartland golf property near Deer Park station. So like you I'm hoping to walk north along the tracks myself to take photos

Old 03-03-2014, 06:52 PM

2 posts, read 3,502 times
Default Montauk

Amazing place. Montauk- the end NY-long Island
Attached Thumbnails
Long Island Pictures-farito.jpg  

Old 03-03-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorastro22 View Post
Amazing place. Montauk- the end NY-long Island
What is amazing to me (and I have been to Montauk Point) is that the entire length of Long Island, which topographically starts on the other side of the East River from Manhattan, is so long from west-to-east that it stretches from Manhattan's edge (just across from Manhattan in Queens and Brooklyn) to its easternmost tip nearly at the latitudinal border of Rhode Island and Connecticut. Can you believe that? It stretches from the westernmost edge of Queens and Brooklyn and going eastward as far as the border of Rhode Island . . . which is just a rather short hop to Providence, Boston, Cape Cod, New Hampshire, Maine, et al (as New England is rather compact compared to other states and regions in the U.S.). Incredible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island