Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 05:44 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,342,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
This thread made me think about something disturbing...

Considering how most people choose to refer to each respective pair of counties on Long Island - Brooklyn & Queens strictly as boroughs of NYC, and Nassau & Suffolk as "Long Island" - wouldn't it be more "grammatically" accurate to say that we live in Long Island rather than on Long Island?

I've always said on, but if "Long Island" in the commonly accepted colloquial sense only refers to it's two easternmost counties, aren't we referring to a region rather than a landmass? I think all the city people and out-of-towners who say in may have been right all along!
"in" = within a commonly accepted, arbitrary/man-made boundry
"on" = within a commonly understood, geological feature

It will be *on* Long Island until that day the debate about Brooklyn & Queens ends...when it is "commonly accepted" (even among Brooklynites and Queensians) where the boundry of Long Island is; thereafter it will be *in* Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 07:13 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,675,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
And why is there no bridge to get to Long Island places like Jones Beach, Green Acres, Roosevelt Field, Belmont Racetrack, Hempstead Lake etc.
You do need to cross a bridge to get to Jones Beach. P

Old 06-12-2011, 07:50 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,747,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
You do need to cross a bridge to get to Jones Beach. :oP
That could be because Jones Beach is on Jones Island, huh?

Old 06-12-2011, 07:56 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,529,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
"in" = within a commonly accepted, arbitrary/man-made boundry
"on" = within a commonly understood, geological feature

It will be *on* Long Island until that day the debate about Brooklyn & Queens ends...when it is "commonly accepted" (even among Brooklynites and Queensians) where the boundry of Long Island is; thereafter it will be *in* Long Island.
I say on and will always say on -- regardless of how wrong or right it is! I also do recognize that Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island, although I can't think of any situation that's come up in casual conversation where I've had to refer to them that way

However, I think if you say "Long Island" but only mean Nassau & Suffolk, then technically the proper terminology might be in... since that would fit the first definition you gave more closely.

I'm not really sure about that, though. Maybe one of the English teachers on here can help me out?

What people will actually say/think is a whole other matter entirely, LOL... I know the debate will never end, I'm just trying to add more fuel to the fire!

Old 06-13-2011, 12:48 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,795,078 times
Quote:
I say on and will always say on -- regardless of how wrong or right it is! I also do recognize that Brooklyn and Queens are on Long Island, although I can't think of any situation that's come up in casual conversation where I've had to refer to them that way

However, I think if you say "Long Island" but only mean Nassau & Suffolk, then technically the proper terminology might be in... since that would fit the first definition you gave more closely.

I'm not really sure about that, though. Maybe one of the English teachers on here can help me out?

What people will actually say/think is a whole other matter entirely, LOL... I know the debate will never end, I'm just trying to add more fuel to the fire!
I lit a fire IN the firepit IN my backyard where I live IN Stony Brook IN the Town of Brookhaven IN Suffolk County ON Long Island IN the State of NY IN the United States ON the continent of North America IN the northern hemisphere ON the planet Earth IN the Milky Way Galaxy IN the Universe.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:35 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,354,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixtibs View Post
Does anyone else come across people saying that B&Q are NOT PART OF LONG ISLAND?! I mean, B & Q are Long Island as much as Montauk is!

Where is Walter when we need him?

Using your logic Delaware is a part of LI too.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:12 PM

570 posts, read 1,217,862 times
How about this for the difference?

We live on an island, thus we live on Long Island.
We live on the continent of North America.
We live on the planet Earth.

They are all geographical entities, separate from other geographical entities.

We live in New York. I live in Huntington. I live in Suffolk County. We live in the United States of America.

Those are "political" names of places, not actual geographically distinct areas.

I think that's your answer.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:16 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,529,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
That could be because Jones Beach is on Jones Island, huh?
There goes another potential complexity...

Are Long Island's barrier islands also on Long Island, or are they in Long Island? Or are they just in Nassau/Suffolk counties but not on/in Long Island at all?!

Old 06-13-2011, 05:13 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,254,015 times
Quote:
There goes another potential complexity...

Are Long Island's barrier islands also on Long Island, or are they in Long Island? Or are they just in Nassau/Suffolk counties but not on/in Long Island at all?!
TOBAY is on the barrier island but in Massapequa, which is on Long Island, I think

Old 06-13-2011, 05:36 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,747,258 times
Quote:
And, then there are Shelter Island, Plum Island and Fishers Island, all part of Suffolk County but not on Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island