Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,869 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been looking for houses in either Queens or Long Island around $450K-$500K in nice neighborhoods. School district doesn't matter much to me since I'm single. My goal is to cut down taxes spent (city tax and real estate tax) . But still within close proximity to LGA or JFK (ideal is less than 30 mins). I've been reading postings on this forum and found most of them really helpful. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 01:47 PM

486 posts, read 2,113,968 times
Go on mlsli.com and you can look up homes in your price range for Long Island. It should also tell you what the taxes are for that home as well. Near JFK and LGA, check out a map and get an idea of what towns are nearby for easier commute.
Good Luck.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:51 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,548,591 times
I would say Lynbrook, Franklin Square, Merrick, Wantagh or Bellmore.........you can get a nice good size house with good school districts....

Old 04-09-2008, 06:31 AM

137 posts, read 744,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT800 View Post
Hi,

I've been looking for houses in either Queens or Long Island around $450K-$500K in nice neighborhoods. School district doesn't matter much to me since I'm single. My goal is to cut down taxes spent (city tax and real estate tax) . But still within close proximity to LGA or JFK (ideal is less than 30 mins). I've been reading postings on this forum and found most of them really helpful. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
If you want to cut down on real estate tax....look in Queens. Long Island is significantly higher.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 5,869 times
Thanks all!

Old 04-13-2008, 09:26 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,092,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post
If you want to cut down on real estate tax....look in Queens. Long Island is significantly higher.
true. I like to add that LIer who work in nyc don't pay city payroll taxes. That could be inpact financial decision making.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:27 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,168,126 times
I agree with GigiBowman on this one. Im also looking in the market and for $450 you can get a pretty nice pad now. I remember looking 2 years ago when $450 was a starter! I actually saved a real estate book from 2 years ago. I dug it out today & couldnt believe the change in prices. Especially the higher priced homes($650-850).

Old 04-13-2008, 10:16 PM

197 posts, read 511,861 times
Quote:
I remember looking 2 years ago when $450 was a starter! I actually saved a real estate book from 2 years ago. I dug it out today & couldnt believe the change in prices. Especially the higher priced homes($650-850)
You all know how much I've been complaining about the LI housing costs. I agree with Roc. I have noticed more houses nearing reasonable pricing structures. Not there yet, but they seem to be trending downward to reasonable pre-realty boom numbers -- especially that $400,000 - $700,000 bracket. If you can wait to buy, you might consider it. Only you can decide how long to delay. No one can time the market, but if you can add, there's a lot of data available to gather for proper due diligence. Remember that historically homes increase in value three to five percent per year and that housing costs have to be in alignment with median incomes. Those are the basics, the fundamentals and no market anywhere on the planet is above them.

Those fundamentals I've ranted about are at least starting to see the light of day. The econimc path we will all have to travel to return to fundamentals will carry the highest price tag of all. Many people underwater, unemployed, and foreclosures on the horizon. LI escaped nothing; it was just la little late to the correction party. The financial sector woes of late simply confirmed LI's arrival.

According to my crystal ball (shined it up just for you guys tonight ), the corrections will be made. Grown adults won't have to live in their parent's basement any longer and politicians and property taxes will have to adjust to the new set of values. It's starting and you can quantify it now. Some semblance of balance and stability will return. Until the next batch of economic crap hits the fan and who knows when and what that will be.

Whatever the next batch of economic crap brings, I just hope that people remember and reflect upon this particular point in time in RE history and will have learned from it. Don't buy more house than you can afford and preferrably, buy less house than you can afford. Collect help and advice, but you must do your own math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island