Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 08:40 PM

11 posts, read 45,291 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Just got a job in Nassau (Roslyn) but not starting for a few months...I'm in my mid-20s and don't really feel ready to move to the suburbs...I would like to commute from Queens if possible. Anyone have any advice about commuting from LIC, Astoria or Forest Hills? Or if anyone has any suggestions about any other neighborhoods that might be nice. Any advice is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 11:45 AM

629 posts, read 962,686 times
During rush hour, you're probably looking at a 40 min. commute from Forest Hills, worse for LIC and Astoria. I suppose though if you lived in Forest Hills closer to Rego Park, and thus closer to the LIE, then maybe you'd have a shorter commute.

Of course, there aren't too many places in Queens besides the ones you mention that have a younger appeal to them. Bayside would be an option that could reduce your commute.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 PM

54 posts, read 216,351 times
I'm 24 and live in Richmond Hill, Queens, and work in Bay Shore, Long Island. I leave my house at about 6:25am, and get to Bay Shore 7:15, on average. The problem is the way back home...i used to leave work at 5:30...and i would NEVER get home before 7PM during summers. I take the Southern State, so people go to the beach, and it's just impossible...i don't know where people go during winter, but it's pretty bad too...i would get home at about 6:45 or so...

I'm not sure in what town you'll be working in...Bay Shore it's pretty far, but you said you'll be in Nassau, so you may have a better time...

Old 03-09-2011, 04:52 PM

15 posts, read 39,704 times
I live in Bayside, have all my life lived around this area, Fresh MEadows, then Whitestone, now Bayside, I commute everyday to Manhasset and used to commute everday to Commack (Suffolk)

The commute to Manhasset is easy, even on a bad day, its still not terrible. Roslyn is only 5-10 minutes longer and Forest Hills is about 10-15 minutes from Bayside so I would say your morning commute would be about 40-45 minutes only because of traffic, would be much less without. Afternoon might be an hour but that's only because of traffic (really it's not far at all). It just happens that the LIE and northern state happen to get crowded around the Roslyn/Manhasset/Little Neck areas on most days.

I'm not sure if you were looking on advice on closer areas to move but if so, Bayside, like someone said is a little closer and its very nice. Then from there going East and staying on the North Shore (as is Roslyn), you will find that all towns are nice but as you go out more, it becomes more expensive for a rental if thats what you plan on.

I dont want to scare you with the commute times, it could be much less than 40 minutes or an hour. Those are your averages on a day with traffic. Good days, you can be home in about 25-30 minutes.

Where did you work before? I only ask because I find that Queens is a tough area for jobs. Its either the city or out to Nassau or Suffolk so for me, either way, its always been a little commute involving either highways or mass transportation

Old 03-09-2011, 05:52 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,531 times
I commute from Astoria to Rockville Centre and it takes me 45 minutes to get to work and 35-40 minutes to get home. Its definitely doable.. The Grand Central is usually moving pretty good in the morning until you pass the Van Wick then its hit or miss. Another option is to take the Whitestone Expressway to the Cross Island... The LIE is the pits in the morning.

IMO there isnt that much to do in the Forest Hills / Bayside areas... Astoria would be a little better then LIC since its closer to the Grand Central.

Old 03-11-2011, 08:42 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDontKnow86 View Post
I'm 24 and live in Richmond Hill, Queens, and work in Bay Shore, Long Island. I leave my house at about 6:25am, and get to Bay Shore 7:15, on average. The problem is the way back home...i used to leave work at 5:30...and i would NEVER get home before 7PM during summers. I take the Southern State, so people go to the beach, and it's just impossible...i don't know where people go during winter, but it's pretty bad too...i would get home at about 6:45 or so...

I'm not sure in what town you'll be working in...Bay Shore it's pretty far, but you said you'll be in Nassau, so you may have a better time...
just take Q24 to jamacia for LIRR bypass traffic very easy. I have done it plus ur car commutes can be ideas for MTA service improvement.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:21 AM

12 posts, read 24,779 times
I did a commute from Howard Beach to--> Malverne (15 mins there; 45 home -- made a deal with my boss to come in 15 minutes early so I could leave @ 4:45. If I left at 4:45, trip was 15-20 minutes. If I left @ 5, it was 45+ minutes); Jericho (30-45 there; 1.5 home); Westbury (45 there; 1.5 home). Summer is a lot better with schools out but winters were a nightmare with bad weather... snow days I played sick. Skip the LIE (side roads suck for gas but worth missing out on traffic/aggravation)).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island