Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:15 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times

Advertisements

Since we haven't been to Lexington/Louisville yet, I was wondering if the people who live there have southern or midwestern accents. Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 11:29 AM

55 posts, read 358,315 times
Default Definitely

Southern accents for sure. My mom calls pants (that you wear) "paints"; and eggs are called "aigs" These are just examples.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:35 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,146 times
I was hoping to hear this. I love southern accents

Old 04-25-2007, 12:25 PM

341 posts, read 1,487,102 times
It's rather its own accent in KY. I don't hear it as the same as other southern state accents.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:39 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Since we haven't been to Lexington/Louisville yet, I was wondering if the people who live there have southern or midwestern accents. Just curious.
As I have emphasized before, Louisville and Lexington are much different. First, Louisville is so much bigger that it is going to have more northern transplants. In Louisville, especially on the east side, it is not rare to find lots of Midwestern accents, and a Midwestern attitude. Lexington, on the other hand, has that more "genteel southern city" vibe nearly all over and its residents show it, even the wealthy ones. Also, Lexington sees a lot of people move there from the eastern KY mountains, where accents are very thick. There are also lots of southern accents in Louisville, especially in the SW part of the county, but Louisville's strong Catholic status, river city location, and suburbs in Indiana make it much more "Midwestern" on the scale. Overall, I would say Lexington is 100% southern and is proud of it. I would say Louisville is more like 70% southern.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:37 PM

279 posts, read 1,859,442 times
This is sad news for me. I told my husband the only thing I am bringing with me from CA is my accent.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:36 PM

688 posts, read 3,038,832 times
If you're from the midwest, you will notice a definite southern accent throughout the entire state, including Louisville and Lexington. Most midwesterners even notice a more southern twang to start near Indianapolis in Indiana and just south of Columbus in Ohio. It is different than true deep south accents (like Mississippi) or Georgia and the coastal south. As you move across the state from east to west, it changes a lot, too. Western Kentucky is more like Missouri, and Eastern KY has that Appalachian sound (a unique accent in its own right). As you move into the city areas, the accents are less pronounced than in rural counties, but still every once in a while you will hear a really strong one that will make you smile (if you can understand it lol). And of course, lots of "y'all's" and asking if you want a "Coke" when midwesterners would ask if you want a "pop".
i.e. "Hey there - want a coke?"
"Yeah!"
"Ok, what kind? We got Pepsi, Sprite, Big Red, Mello Yellow"
And you get some "I'm fixin to fix your drink" and even the once in a while "I reckon I should get to the Kroger and get me another buggy full of cokes!"

Old 04-25-2007, 08:01 PM

322 posts, read 1,234,674 times
We go to Louisville every winter and being from the north I will admit the KY accent/slang (in the Louisville area anyways) is VERY different from what I've heard in any other state......probably the reason why we visit once a year...LOVE the KY accents...keeps me coming back!!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:43 AM

283 posts, read 1,026,164 times
LOL on the coke thing. My kids will get a kick out of that

I'm a little surprised by what stx said -- that Lexington is 100% "Southern" but Louisville has more of the midwestern feel in some parts. Given the university I would have thought there would be a lot of midwestern (and east coast, and west coast, etc.) transplants.

Old 04-26-2007, 10:07 AM

891 posts, read 3,053,372 times
There are a lot of transplants from all over. I know transplants from all over the US; from CA to NY to LA to TX to UT, etc., etc. and from many different countries. Obviously with the university here there are people from all walks of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky