Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 04:26 PM

6 posts, read 30,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Blond View Post
It's rather its own accent in KY. I don't hear it as the same as other southern state accents.
I agree totally, it is not exactly southern, I think because of the mountain accent. I have read that this accent is due to Scottish influence as well as some of the phrases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 05:53 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoore View Post
I agree totally, it is not exactly southern, I think because of the mountain accent. I have read that this accent is due to Scottish influence as well as some of the phrases.
I remember reading that somewhere also that our accent has scottish roots. Wish I could remember where I found that..I am going to hunt for it, because it is very interesting.

Old 05-22-2007, 03:16 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times
Default Thanks!

I want to thank you all for this thread! I wasn't born in KY, but when I married into a Kentucky family (Bourbon and Nicholas Counties) I was expected to learn how to speak Kentuckian (is that a word?). Yes'sir, Yes'maam, ya'all, and I had to learn how to make Hot Browns, cornbread and transparent pie. But when it comes down to KY accents, don't cha have to pick a color first? Cardinal Red or KY Blue?

Old 03-18-2009, 07:54 AM

24 posts, read 82,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pejuta View Post
i was born and raised in nc,but family were kentuckians. i have a strong accent and dialect. i have a lot of problems with both when i am in diff. places as i move a lot. i will not change my speech,but i do try to make it easy for others to understand me. even in small areas,you will find more than one type of speech,no matter where you go. most will try to be helpful if you cannot understand what one means. remember,some southerns will say come on,come home with us, but it will probably mean nice meeting you,not actually come with them. i met a woman who said she did go,and everyone was embarassed!
i dont understand where people are getting that kyians and other people say come on come home and sit a while to a complete stranger because that is sompthing i have never heard unless you know the people. and i wanted to comment on the rest of the stuff that said louiville and lexington are southern sounding but when i go there i really cant hear it at all but right about lex. and louiv. is where the state divides its people and what i mean is right around that area is where western and eastern ky are 2 diff world .people from both side make it clear as glass which side they are from ...and they are very diff. but anyway just wanted to comment on those things oh by the way im from Louisa ky in Lawrence co. about 200 ft. from the Eastern State line

Old 03-18-2009, 08:00 AM

24 posts, read 82,239 times
Your the first person i ever seen on here thats also from louisa ....but i allways pronounce it as in this spelling LOOEZA

Old 03-18-2009, 11:51 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlschr0 View Post
As you move across the state from east to west, it changes a lot, too. Western Kentucky is more like Missouri, and Eastern KY has that Appalachian sound (a unique accent in its own right).
I remember my first visit to Eastern KY, Prestonsburg I think it was. Hubby asked for directions and was told to Just "tahk" a "rye aight" at the "lye aight" and ya'll "fye and" it just "day andy."

My "Pops" is from Kentucky. A wonderful man like a dad to me.

I sure miss Kentucky!

Old 03-19-2009, 12:12 AM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,632 times
Hello, R_fluty41230. My dad's family settled in Louisa after the War, from Virginia, then my great-great-grandfather high-tailed it across the river to WV in 1886 because of an unfortunate incident. I still have distant relatives in Louisa, if you meet anyone named Arrington there say hey for me. As far as what people call "country" or "mountain" accents, they are Southern too, there is no reason to exclude them. Linguists certainly don't.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:00 AM

200 posts, read 806,968 times
serate i have NEVER heard anyone in kentucky speak like that. Was that at a comprehensive care center you were asking for directions? you people are flippin hillarious that move from other states to Kentucky and then embelish our accents or ways of life. weirdos.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:35 AM

862 posts, read 1,642,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie40829 View Post
serate i have NEVER heard anyone in kentucky speak like that. Was that at a comprehensive care center you were asking for directions? you people are flippin hillarious that move from other states to Kentucky and then embelish our accents or ways of life. weirdos.
Nope we ate at Reno's and asked the manager for directions to Auxier.

I wasn't embelishing anything. I was trying to show how the manager drew out "right" and "light" into 2 syllables. And how he didn't use the long "i" sound. Which is how the manager pronounced the words. Which my Pops does, who lives in the area. I love Kentucky. Tho you are the first to have ever called me a weirdo. Maybe if I ran into more like you I wouldn't like Kentucky as much. But the good overrides you so we'll be back as soon as we can, and as soon as we can move back we'll be back to stay.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:28 AM

200 posts, read 806,968 times
lolllllllllll i <3 you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky