Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:46 AM

189 posts, read 564,722 times

Advertisements

we all have accents. it is only noticed when we speak with others from diff places. lets be respectful of one another. be happy with yourself. just be yourself. allow others the freedom to be themselves and not try to change them into what we want them to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 10:10 AM

2 posts, read 6,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Since we haven't been to Lexington/Louisville yet, I was wondering if the people who live there have southern or midwestern accents. Just curious.
Both areas have their unique pronunciation of certain words with a unique regional accent, not quite as much of a drawl as the more southern areas, definitely not totally mid-western.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:40 PM

283 posts, read 1,026,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pejuta View Post
we all have accents. it is only noticed when we speak with others from diff places. lets be respectful of one another. be happy with yourself. just be yourself. allow others the freedom to be themselves and not try to change them into what we want them to be.

Who's trying to change anybody?

I just came back from a three day trip to Lexington and I have to tell you that I've never met more friendly people in my life. With absolutely no exception, people went out of their way to be friendly (not just polite, but friendly). Even at the McDonald's counter! They acted like they loved being there and that it was a genuine pleasure to talk to everyone who came up to the counter. You sure don't see that where I'm from!

Also, I loved the "yes, ma'am" and "no, ma'am". Everyone just really seems to have a lot of respect for others.

Old 04-30-2007, 02:18 PM

329 posts, read 1,099,984 times
Hope your visit went as planned. Sounds as if you experienced Kentucky the way she is.......... polite, friendly, happy and accepting. (Can't say as I like Lexington, as I don't like cities, but glad you liked KY!)

Old 04-30-2007, 02:44 PM

283 posts, read 1,026,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
Hope your visit went as planned. Sounds as if you experienced Kentucky the way she is.......... polite, friendly, happy and accepting. (Can't say as I like Lexington, as I don't like cities, but glad you liked KY!)
desiree253,

Thanks! I did like Lexington a lot, although because I have lived my whole life in smaller towns and was born/raised in a very small town, I am still getting used to the "city" part of it as well. But it was very friendly, clean, nice, with beautiful houses everywhere and it seemed extremely safe.

I am strongly considering Versailles because of my affinity to smaller communities and because the schools are good. Also, we loved the town -- beautiful area, and very close to Lexington. Any specific info on Versailles that anyone has would be appreciated! For a town that size there does seem to be a number of amenities. Also it sounds like the commute is not terribly congested.

So we are mainly looking at SW Lexington or else Versailles at this point.

Old 05-01-2007, 09:24 AM

329 posts, read 1,099,984 times
I grew up in a small town as well (about 2500) in Northern California. If you are used to small town, and want to be a little more comfortable... Just my suggestion... move to Versailles (Rember... it's Ver-sales) hehehehe and I think you'll be quite happy there. I don't have any other specific information though, as I never lived there. In Kentucky, I've lived in Lexington, Richmond and Danville.

Welcome to Kentucky neighbor!

Old 05-15-2007, 06:35 AM

2 posts, read 6,521 times
I'm fixin' to get back into this conversation, after just returning from a visit to New York City, where most of the folks I met were very nice and helpful with directions and allowing us to change lanes in front of them, after we discovered we were in the wrong turn lane [ETC} One thing different from "home" [KY] is they talked soooo fast, and although they were very helpful, it was hard to keep up with the directions. I really do think, that given a chance, most folks are nice; Kentuckians just seem to be that way all the time. Another neat thing from NYC, folks from an area or borough are very proud and loyal about "their" space, as we are about our towns.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:51 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,793,542 times
True story - a neighbor moved here from NJ and said to me, "I can't believe youse guys actually say 'y'all' down here."

Old 05-19-2007, 10:32 PM

246 posts, read 1,057,504 times
Default highliner

If you move into the south end of Jefferson County, then you'd better refer to the city of Looey-ville, or else you're gonna get hit with the shovel(laughed at).

Old 05-20-2007, 04:24 PM

6 posts, read 30,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desiree253 View Post
Yes, and for those Lexington/Richmond area bound folks.. the college town of Berea (south of Richmond on I-75) is pronounced by the locals as either
Bree-uh, Bree-er, or just plain Breer (like beer with an extra r).

Too funny that you don't really think of these things until someone asks!
That Berea pronunciation is right on the money. Also what about most names ending in a being pronounced as if they end in ie. My grandmas name was Oda and she was always called Odie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky