Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:35 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,086,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickp View Post
I graduated from high school in 1971 in rural Kentucky. For our Senior trip, we had a class trip to New York City planned. After we made reservations, our principal recieved a call from the concierge of the hotel, wanting to make sure we understood that it was customary to wear shoes in the lobby, restaurants, and public areas of the hotel.

I never saw him so flustered in my life. He later told us he wanted to call the guy a s.o.b., but was laughing so hard he could barely talk.
That is typical. I had a teacher from up North who told the class that she really thought that people here don't wear shoes. Boy was she suprised!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 09:31 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,427,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
That is typical. I had a teacher from up North who told the class that she really thought that people here don't wear shoes. Boy was she suprised!
I had a friend come visit from AZ, she got here and was in the back yard walk around barefoot, she looked to me and said ... "OMG this grass is like plush carpet, it fills so good on your feet! If I was here I'd never wear shoes! In AZ the grass is like needles ..." and she went on talking about how green it is here and the "wonderful grass".

So tell the nitwits when they say people in KY don't wear shoes it's only because the grass in other states isn't worth walking on.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:52 AM

631 posts, read 1,886,597 times
Quote:
A Teacher said this?!?!? Sounds like she needs to educate herself before she can educate students. Ugh that's so frustrating.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:14 PM

56 posts, read 161,434 times
American Idol didn't help us much last night. They made Louisville look like a hicktown. Did you guys see the guy from cox creek tell them "alright guys see you, be careful" and they made him feel like he just said he had a bomb. I like the show, it did get to me last night. They also made it seem like a little town, not the city it is.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:56 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,629,731 times
Between the moving with the military, and my former job (I used to travel all across the country) we would hear that crap all the time. So finally I got sick of it and would introduce myself like this: "hi, my name is xxxxx. We just moved here from xxx, we are originally from western Kentucky, yes I have all my teeth and I do own and wear shoes." That usually broke the ice fairly well, and nothing more was ever said about it, lol.

Although, I never wear shoes at home (since I was raised not to wear shoes on the carpet, lol!), and prefer not to wear them, I do own a few pairs and wear them out, lol.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
I had a friend come visit from AZ, she got here and was in the back yard walk around barefoot, she looked to me and said ... "OMG this grass is like plush carpet, it fills so good on your feet! If I was here I'd never wear shoes! In AZ the grass is like needles ..." and she went on talking about how green it is here and the "wonderful grass".

So tell the nitwits when they say people in KY don't wear shoes it's only because the grass in other states isn't worth walking on.
I really really hate wearing shoes in the summer. Not because I can't, because I don't want to. Maybe the grass has something to do with it?

Old 01-22-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_eyedgirl View Post
A Teacher said this?!?!? Sounds like she needs to educate herself before she can educate students. Ugh that's so frustrating.
I was in elementary school at the time too

Old 01-22-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidewater_boy21 View Post
American Idol didn't help us much last night. They made Louisville look like a hicktown. Did you guys see the guy from cox creek tell them "alright guys see you, be careful" and they made him feel like he just said he had a bomb. I like the show, it did get to me last night. They also made it seem like a little town, not the city it is.
That guy was not threatening them. Even my daughter was shocked that Paula was upset. She said, "Where the heck are THOSE people from??" They only reacted the way they did because the guy was different from them. The poor man was scared as all get out and it was obvious.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Between the moving with the military, and my former job (I used to travel all across the country) we would hear that crap all the time. So finally I got sick of it and would introduce myself like this: "hi, my name is xxxxx. We just moved here from xxx, we are originally from western Kentucky, yes I have all my teeth and I do own and wear shoes." That usually broke the ice fairly well, and nothing more was ever said about it, lol.

Although, I never wear shoes at home (since I was raised not to wear shoes on the carpet, lol!), and prefer not to wear them, I do own a few pairs and wear them out, lol.
Sweetie I hear ya! Unless it is cold shoes are the last thing I want. I have been crazy enough to play tennis barefoot

Old 01-22-2009, 06:17 PM

631 posts, read 1,886,597 times
Quote:
Sweetie I hear ya! Unless it is cold shoes are the last thing I want. I have been crazy enough to play tennis barefoot

I love to go barefooted too and my alaskan hubby always thought I was crazy until he started visiting my family with me in the summertime. I think its because Kentucky summers are hotter than the bejeezus and you want to wear as little as possible. He now takes flip flops instead of tennis shoes and socks when we go back to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky