Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 05:13 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times

Advertisements

I read yesterday that alot of rural Kentuckians see Louisville as "sin city" and full of "Northern Values" and don't like us. Is that true? It breaks my heart to think that the state that I love so much doesn't love me back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 05:44 AM

486 posts, read 1,896,569 times
I can tell you a lot of people I know in Lexington don't like Louisville (not rural but still outside of L'ville)- mostly because of the sports rivalry, but also because Lexington just lies in the shadow of both Cincinnati and Louisville. I don't know about rural towns though.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:57 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
I love Louisville and think it is beautiful..I like Lexington also because it is not a large city and is very easy to get around in..I prefer the quiet rural life though, but like to visit your cities

Old 01-18-2008, 06:50 AM

5 posts, read 22,588 times
I have lived in Lexington and very rural areas of Kentucky, and I think if there is any negativity towards Louisville, it is more linked to it being a big city than to Louisville itself. For me, it's a fun place to visit, but I would never want to live in ANY larger city, Louisville or anywhere else. People who are from smaller areas may think "gahlee, I would never want to live in such a big city!", but they don't dislike Louisvillians or anything like that.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:37 AM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times
I can't speak for everyone in the Jackson Purchase/Murray area, but many of us don't even think about Louisville. Why? Because we are closer to Nashville, St Louis and possible Memphis. Hell, we even get all of the Nashville tv stations on our cable systems here in Murray. You can barely find the Courier Journal in this area.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:13 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
It seems like people in areas roughly east of US 127 seem to associate more with Lexington, and areas west of US 127 tend to associate more with the city of Louisville.

For example, go to any of the small cities in Western Kentucky it is evenly divided between U of L & UK, while Eastern Kentucky is 99% Blue

Old 01-18-2008, 08:26 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Where's Louisville? Is that in Utah?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:49 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,281 times
In my experience, I think rural KY in general is scared and leary of large cities. The people talk of them as crime filled, dirty, expensive places with no trees. I realize I am generalizing, but I remember many people speaking of Louisville (and other large cities) in that manner when I was growing up. I guess it is the rural vs urban lifestyle. Also, kids look to move to larger cities after high school or college for jobs. In some parts of rural KY, breaking up the family is a cardinal sin so any place that would lure their beloved children with the promise of jobs, opportunity and entertainment must be evil!

Old 01-18-2008, 08:58 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,790,369 times
Again, we're just generalizing, and there is almost always a city-rural split in every state. But my personal experience is that there is a deep-seeded dislike of Louisville in most of the rural areas of Kentucky. From my big-city perspective, I like to think it's jealousy or just a basketball rivalry taken to extremes. But it is certainly there, imo.

And in all fairness, we return that feeling in large part. Many Louisvillians I know have expressed the feeling that the rest of the state is holding us back. For example, we put in far more tax dollars into the state budget than we receive in return. And on too many occasions, state legislators from rural areas will pass laws to undo local regulations that we pass here in Louisville, even though it doesn't effect them. (Or will allow certain laws to be passed so long as they only apply in Jefferson County.)

Just some political examples: the Jefferson County area went for Kerry in the 2002 presidential election. The rest of the state went overwhelming for Bush. The two most liberal politicians in the state by far are Jerry Abramson and John Yarmuth, and both were elected in Jefferson County. You'd have a hard time convincing me that they could win state-wide elections.

There are a lot of cultural differences, to say the least.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:02 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Just one more example: the Jefferson County area went for Kerry in the 2002 presidential election. The rest of the state went overwhelming for Bush. There are a lot of cultural differences, to say the least.
Not true. Many counties in Eastern Kentucky also voted in majority for Kerry. And Kerry only won Jefferson by a ~10% margin

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky