Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:52 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Darn - MM I tried to rep you but I guess I need to spread it around to others :-).
Thank you Cat! To Eclectic ears, from the facebook group I love Kentucky:

trips to kentucky are annual now
this will be my 4th year or so?
one of the reasons we go back,
they've got the nicest people ever!
and dotn forget your accents
its an entire days drive but its worth it.
even went down juust to get my grad dress

I am from Northern Ireland and I got the chance to visit Morehead, Kentucky at the end of May this year. We were treated to some great hospitality from the really nice people we met there. I had a great time on my visit and want to go back some day!

I moved here from Dallas,TX and I just have to say this is the best state by-far.

came here ... by accident from almost 4000 miles away, and fell in love with Kentucky forever. I've seen the Moonbow, I've crawled through glorious caves, I've marvelled at the sunsets twinkling through mountaintop trees... But it is the people who astonish me the most. The warmth and generosity of the people here has drawn me in forever. Thanks, from an Irishman across the sea.

I miss them Kentucky girls, Ohio just doesn't compare. (had to through that in)

I was born in Lexington and I visited a few years ago. A very nice place and the people are very friendly.

Maybe it really is just you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 03:24 PM

202 posts, read 406,461 times
Just my two cents -- but I found it highly amusing that when I was in Europe, on a tour group with mostly Australians, I learned that all Americans are lumped as "Yankees". That didn't insult me (I'm from northern Illinois), but I found it amusing to think how it might truly irritate some southerners.

PS. Kentucky is one of my favorite states because of Mammoth Cave. The countryside above is also beautiful, with its rolling, green hills.

Old 07-15-2009, 05:52 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Default Stereotypes serve a good purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Eastern Kentucky is very scenic. I wonder how much longer before the hills become plateaus and the valleys are filled.
How much longer? Well, if you keep singing the praises of Eastern Kentucky it won't be long before the valleys are filled up and hills become plateaus.

Take Los Angeles hundred years ago. Singing the praises of life in Southern California to those from the East Coast and the Midwest. Now there's 18 million people in the L.A. area.

Take Las Vegas or Phoenix. Singing the praises too many times, and they rushed over there.

Maybe it's wise not to correct the stereotypes of Eastern Kentucky.

Stop the singing, and keep it a secret paradise!

Old 07-16-2009, 06:48 AM

202 posts, read 406,461 times
Phoenix was ever nice?? Sorry, not the thread for this, but in my opinion, the city of Phoenix itself (not the outlying areas) is an ugly, sprawling strip mall. It's only redeeming quality was when I lifted my eyes above street level to gaze at the foothills all around (I call them foothills because they don't qualify as mountains in my book!). My headaches would subside slightly when I could look beyond the cesspool.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:08 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,803,014 times
Missy, you and I obviously have differing opinions. A lot of people like Kentucky, and that's fine. I don't, and that's just the way it is.

Besides, I think some differing opinions make prospective Kentuckians think about why they want to come here. Neither full-blown positivity nor negativity are helpful in C-Ders. Just my $.02!

Old 07-18-2009, 07:28 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Missy, you and I obviously have differing opinions. A lot of people like Kentucky, and that's fine. I don't, and that's just the way it is.

Besides, I think some differing opinions make prospective Kentuckians think about why they want to come here. Neither full-blown positivity nor negativity are helpful in C-Ders. Just my $.02!
I guess so but you also can't paint the whole state with the same brush. I posted before but working with the public I can say, you can have hundreds of nice people and two hateful ones and the ones you'll remember most are the hateful ones.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:52 AM

11 posts, read 28,736 times
Kentcky I love the Rural you ! Dont let the liberal idiots and envirotards insult you! Let all Kentcky detractors drown in "The Cold Kentucky Rain !"

Old 07-19-2009, 10:07 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
How much longer? Well, if you keep singing the praises of Eastern Kentucky it won't be long before the valleys are filled up and hills become plateaus.

Take Los Angeles hundred years ago. Singing the praises of life in Southern California to those from the East Coast and the Midwest. Now there's 18 million people in the L.A. area.

Take Las Vegas or Phoenix. Singing the praises too many times, and they rushed over there.

Maybe it's wise not to correct the stereotypes of Eastern Kentucky.

Stop the singing, and keep it a secret paradise!
apples to oranges
Southern Californis has perfect weather and the ocean to draw people to flock to that paradise years ago.

Phoenix had the mild winters to attract people.
Las Vegas had the booming gambling industry.

Since Eastern Kentucky has neither the ocean,perfect weather, a mild winter climate,or a booming gambling industry , they have no reason to fear being over run in the future.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:12 PM

688 posts, read 1,489,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
apples to oranges
Southern Californis has perfect weather and the ocean to draw people to flock to that paradise years ago.

Phoenix had the mild winters to attract people.
Las Vegas had the booming gambling industry.

Since Eastern Kentucky has neither the ocean,perfect weather, a mild winter climate,or a booming gambling industry , they have no reason to fear being over run in the future.
That's fine with me ... don't want to be run over with people with no empathy for and nothing with disdaine for the region anyway. Enough said,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky