Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 02:25 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times

Advertisements

Hey, Palmtrees, I went to Ravenna Elementry and Irvine Middle School in the 60's and 70's. Davart, there are a lot of people out there whose mamma's didn't teach 'em any manners. Don't let it get to you. There are also some here who like to get a raise out of us.
I used to work on the campground at the bridge and the tales I could tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 03:22 PM

154 posts, read 533,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsdaughter View Post
Hey, Palmtrees, I went to Ravenna Elementry and Irvine Middle School in the 60's and 70's. Davart, there are a lot of people out there whose mamma's didn't teach 'em any manners. Don't let it get to you. There are also some here who like to get a raise out of us.
I used to work on the campground at the bridge and the tales I could tell.

Really? Thats cool. I know they shut one of those down in Ravenna. They use it as a haunted house now lol.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:25 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
I think they did shut down Ravenna, and made the Middle School an administration building.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:20 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Actually I could say stereotyping of rural America, I read quite a few post from people living in urban areas saying things along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing here) ...

"Rural Kentucky is bigoted..."
"I'd stay away for rural Kentucky..."
"Rural Kentucky is poor and uneducated..."
"Intolerant Christian right in rural Kentucky ..."

There are a lot more be you get the idea.

Well frankly, I'm getting a little tired of it, my southern graces are really waning. This attitude mainly seems to arise on thread about tolerance or acceptance. Let me ask you this city folks, if we're so intolerant why is it every time there is a race riot it's in a city? Every time there is a protest or mob it's in a city. Name one in a rural area this has happened, can't do it can you?

The facts are these attitudes are in themselves geographically bigoted, culturally basis and some folks, not naming names, seem to think that if you don't live within 40 or 50 miles of Louisville or Lexington you're just out of touch and likely married to your sister. Additionally we're uneducated, over religious, shack dwelling inbreds and have only poor underachieving schools that only teach about Jesus. We're out of touch, out of date and out at Klan rallies.

Are there racist, bigoted, intolerant rednecks in rural KY? Sure there is and they also racist, bigoted, intolerant rednecks in urban areas too, I've seen them without looking to hard and this trait is not exclusive to Kentucky.

Here's an idea, if you don't live in rural areas, please don't tell us that do what it's like. You can no more say rural eastern KY and rural western KY are the same, this goes for rural northern and rural southern KY too. It's all apples and oranges. I can no more tell you what the people are like or what it's like to live in Letcher County than you can tell me what the people are like or what it's like to live in Graves Country at the other end of the state, unless you are here. So stop it. There is a 120 counties in Kentucky and each one is unique in it's own way.

Most people here are Kentuckians and we all should be Ambassadors for our entire state, it's understandable to want to promote your areas over others, but don't run down those other areas that you know little about. Don't promote your area at the cost of the reputation of others. It's not fair, it's not right and it's just flat out misleading most of the time.

I'm sorry I just had to get that off my chest ...
If I didn't think my wife would have me locked up for it I would have stood up and given you a standing ovation for that! Being from Mayfield originally, I didn't know anybody from out in the county could come up with something that good! LOL

Old 01-15-2009, 06:36 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
If I didn't think my wife would have me locked up for it I would have stood up and given you a standing ovation for that! Being from Mayfield originally, I didn't know anybody from out in the county could come up with something that good! LOL
Some of us in rural areas are a lot smarter than we let on, really it comes as quite a shock to those in the city when they see us walking upright.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:17 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
Quote:
Some of us in rural areas are a lot smarter than we let on, really it comes as quite a shock to those in the city when they see us walking upright.
Since the county schools merged, I miss hearing about the losing basketball season of the Golden Gophers! lol

Old 01-16-2009, 09:43 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
It was good wasn't it. I am a city boy and totally agree with him.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:38 PM

12 posts, read 33,605 times
Quote:
Actually I could say stereotyping of rural America, I read quite a few post from people living in urban areas saying things along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing here) ...

Well frankly, I'm getting a little tired of it, my southern graces are really waning. This attitude mainly seems to arise on thread about tolerance or acceptance. Let me ask you this city folks, if we're so intolerant why is it every time there is a race riot it's in a city? Every time there is a protest or mob it's in a city. Name one in a rural area this has happened, can't do it can you?

The facts are these attitudes are in themselves geographically bigoted, culturally basis and some folks, not naming names, seem to think that if you don't live within 40 or 50 miles of Louisville or Lexington you're just out of touch and likely married to your sister. Additionally we're uneducated, over religious, shack dwelling inbreds and have only poor underachieving schools that only teach about Jesus. We're out of touch, out of date and out at Klan rallies.

Are there racist, bigoted, intolerant rednecks in rural KY? Sure there is and they also racist, bigoted, intolerant rednecks in urban areas too, I've seen them without looking to hard and this trait is not exclusive to Kentucky.

Here's an idea, if you don't live in rural areas, please don't tell us that do what it's like. You can no more say rural eastern KY and rural western KY are the same, this goes for rural northern and rural southern KY too. It's all apples and oranges. I can no more tell you what the people are like or what it's like to live in Letcher County than you can tell me what the people are like or what it's like to live in Graves Country at the other end of the state, unless you are here. So stop it. There is a 120 counties in Kentucky and each one is unique in it's own way.

Most people here are Kentuckians and we all should be Ambassadors for our entire state, it's understandable to want to promote your areas over others, but don't run down those other areas that you know little about. Don't promote your area at the cost of the reputation of others. It's not fair, it's not right and it's just flat out misleading most of the time.

Davart - I will start by apologizing for the length of this post but I wrote this in my blog as a rambling in response to the very same things that I was seeing at various locations in this forum. It is my attempt to help people know and understand these rural areas and the people that live there. The people of the rural areas of not only Kentucky but the rest of our country as well should not waste your time defending yourselves against those who refuse to understand what drives you.

"So you think you are interested in making a home in the hills of eastern Kentucky or western Virginia…"

For those of you that are wondering if the hills of eastern Kentucky or western Virginia might make a good home for you I am providing my opinion for your consideration and use. It is only my opinion and is based upon what I have learned from getting to know the people that you will find in and around this area. I do not pretend to be an expert in raw financial and demographic statistics of the area. I do not pretend it is anything but subjective. I am not any better than anyone else out there. I put my pants on one leg at a time and I am not perfect.

I guess you can say I do have an agenda, I really love the area in and around eastern Kentucky and western Virginia and that includes the people.

A little back ground. My ancestors settled in western Virginia in the mid to late 1700s. My father was born and raised in Norton, Virginia just a stones throw from eastern Kentucky. He would take us back to his home in the hills where he was raised at every opportunity. I have spent many years running the hills of eastern Kentucky and western Virginia with the relatives I have in the area and strangely enough they managed to teach this hard-headed kid a lot……… And that was my father’s gift to me.

With that being said here we go:

The folks of eastern Kentucky and western Virginia have always worked hard for the little gifts they have received from this area. What some of those of you outside of the area do not seem to understand is that the people here have chosen this life and they did so with conviction. From the very outset they understood that life in general was not easy and have made the choice to make their lives in these hills. Looking around themselves they cannot imagine how life could be any better. Is it that they do not understand what they are missing? Given the choice of the trappings of the big city life and all that it has to offer I have come to realize that the inhabitants here realize quit well what they are missing. Knowing that life is to fast and to hard in and of itself the people that have made the hard choice to live life a little slower, within the embrace of family and a real community, and surrounded by all this natural beauty understand a great deal more than what we give them credit for.

Now as in the distant past the people in western Virginia and eastern Kentucky are private and proud people and deserve a great deal of respect for the hardships that they have endured. They are a people that will embrace strangers as family. They readily provide for each other in the hard times so that no one will go without. They are not ignorant or uneducated hillbillies that will not accept outsiders. Quit to the contrary they are smart beyond imagination and accepting to a fault. Many of them can still tell you how to eat well without the mega mart on the corner. They have historians that can tell you about the history of the area, archeologist that spend their lives documenting the relics of the past, geologist that can tell all about that rock you have in your hand, foresters that know every tree that can be found in the area, and way to many other experts to be name here. Many may not have a paper certificate, only years of experience. Many may not make a lot of money, but are wealthy none-the-less.

There are those that say the young adults of this area have absolutely no quality of life, little opportunity for success and a descent life and as a result they will leave for the trappings and distractions of the City. In some cases this might be true but if history shows anything it shows that most young adults leave their home and family as a result of an inherent restless pioneer spirit. This is the very same pioneer spirit that settled this country. This is the same pioneer spirit as their ancestors had that brought them to the natural beautiful eastern Kentucky and western Virginia. These young adults like their ancestors will want to know what is out there to explore. Some of them will start new lives outside of the home and community that they were raised in and will spend a major portion of their life thinking and dreaming of what they left behind. Some will ultimately make back to discover that you really can go back home.

Life in the hills of eastern Kentucky and western Virginia is slow, with not much money to be had, and maybe a little behind the rest of the world. There is no one amongst us with the all knowing wisdom that can necessarily say that is a bad thing. The good folks that have chosen this to be their home and path in life do indeed realize what their paradise is, what is truly important in life, and understand the meaning of acceptance regardless of circumstance.

For those of you that might be considering this area for your home there should not be any misconception. Building a life in this area is, will not be, and never has been easy. There will be sacrifices that you will need to make and if you are not willing to make that sacrifice for all that this life has to offer then this may not be your cup of tea. I will not blow smoke up your skirt and tell you life is a bowl of cherries. I cannot tell you which life is best for you. I can tell you that like the people found in this area if this is your cup of tea your sacrifices will be rewarded with riches and wealth that cannot be had with money and status.

My suggestion to you is go to the town you are interested in and settle in for a while. Get to know the people and give them a chance. They seem a little different at first but they will surprise you if you take the time to know and understand them. You will certainly be rewarded with an extended family that you never knew existed. This is true for any place you choose to make your home but it is especially true for area in and around eastern Kentucky and western Virginia.

You have taken the time to read my ramblings and very possibly you might go away with one thing that I have learned from the people of eastern Kentucky and western Virginia that has taken many years for me to understand.

“Your paradise is what you make it.”

Last edited by Bob284; 01-17-2009 at 02:02 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 02:16 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,425,000 times
Bob284 the biggest reason people in eastern KY or W VA and all through the mountains and rural America are overall more economically challenged is their overall stance for NOT taking Government handouts. This is a proven fact that was performed by a big city college (I have a lengthy hard copy of the study somewhere) that rural people are less likely to seek social programs and government handouts than urban dwellers. They are in a sense to proud to take welfare, food stamps, free lunches etc. Some will take it out of desperation, and often only for their children, but not for themselves.
Clearly this is not every person that qualifies, but the majority will refuse. This results in pockets of deeper poverty, but stronger values and character.
(This is not a slam on anyone receiving government assistants, just the findings of the study I read.)

Old 01-18-2009, 04:50 PM

745 posts, read 1,718,412 times
Quote:

Not a Kentuckian, but you make some good points. This country is composed of many different societies, cultures, attitudes and basically is very socio-centric, and judgmental. Many think that where they come from or how they do things is the only way and superior to anyone and anything else, and oftentimes they want to impose their ideas on other segments of societies, especially when they relocate. Amazing how different the areas and people of this country are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky