Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: (W) KENTUCKY BETTER THAN (E) KENTUCKY
yes 26 66.67%
no 13 33.33%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 05:31 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,057,981 times

Advertisements

Blue is the color of the sports teams for University of Kentucky. People are absolutely freaking insane about this color. They have license plates proclaiming that they "bleed blue", etc. You should see the tailgate parties before UK football games... a great blue sea.

If you want to live in horse farm country, Paris, Midway, Versailles are really good bets, as well as their entire counties. Midway is possibly the best of the best. Golly, that town is pretty. I lived there for a while and it is just beautiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 06:28 PM

86 posts, read 359,972 times
Thanks, timelesschild. I should have guessed that the "blue" thing must have something to do with sports.

Now if I could just find an affordable place to live in one of the towns you mentioned . . . . (not an easy task by any means!)

Old 04-18-2008, 08:03 PM

137 posts, read 448,766 times
Default Sorry about that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
You are quite mistaken, dear sir. You actually do not know me at all, and you don't know what I am familiar with. I know quite a bit about Kentucky and its regions, having lived here all my life. Have a nice day.
Well, I respect your opinion about these areas. You are right, I should not have judged you and don't know you at all. I hope however, that someday your opinion about these places will change. We is Louisville and Northern Kentucky feel as though we are southern socially and culturally. And we get a little offended when people say otherwise, especially those that are possibly outside of our area. Have a nice day and again I was wrong to judge you! I am sorry and should be more careful the way I talk to people on here.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:36 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,057,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
. We in Louisville and Northern Kentucky feel as though we are southern socially and culturally. And we get a little offended when people say otherwise, especially those that are possibly outside of our area. Have a nice day and again I was wrong to judge you! I am sorry and should be more careful the way I talk to people on here.
Oh, OK, my bad. I am truly sorry. That whole Midwest thing annoys me too, so I know how you feel.

I used to have a friend who would sidestep the whole question by claiming (laughingly) that "Kentucky is in the Tri-State Area."

Old 04-20-2008, 06:35 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,811,140 times
I'll take west Kentucky over east Kentucky anyday for a whole host of reasons!

Old 04-30-2008, 12:27 PM

377 posts, read 470,960 times
Default West or East (hm-m-m-m)

I thought I would chime in on this conversation, as I'm not originally from Kentucky but moved there a few years ago.

First, my background... born and raised all over Ohio. Also grew up with a family cottage in Southern Michigan and later moved near there for my husband's work. Later moved to Madisonville, Kentucky. Husband's work is now relocating us to Knoxville (Maryville, actually) Tennessee. Here's my impression, having gone on many interviews over the years and considered many places to live. I'm not claiming to be an expert, just giving you my impressions...

The areas of East Kentucky I have seen (mostly around 75) seemed to have more "country folk." I didn't tour the schools, but the poor grammer I heard and missing teeth I saw caused me to wonder if education was inferior. I'm sure there are many people in Easter KY I just wasn't exposed to, but I only saw mostly east of 75.

Elizabethtown and Louisville were so different... I was shocked to see how professional the people were and how progressive everything seemed. Loved the fact that they actually passed a no smoking law for restaurants. By the way, Mitchell's Restaurant in Louisville is the bomb!

Western Kentucky was a pleasant surprise for me. There is definitely some poor grammer (smelt is a fish, not a verb!) but in general the businesses are up-to-speed and the schools were not a disappointment by any means. I was not aware of how much the coal industry had positively affected economy over the years. Western Kentucky impressed me by the "family friendly" atmosphere. Also, it may be my limited exposure, but Western Kentucky seemed more bible belt and not in a bad way at all. I loved the idea of raising a family there and so we moved to Madisonville, KY. Unfortunately we may not be able to pass a no smoking law, but Wednesday nights are still reserved for church functions (and the schools respect that). Just this month, we announced we're moving to TN. I'm going to miss Madisonville.

I hope my take on this didn't offend anyone... this is just based on the areas I saw.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:24 PM

12 posts, read 47,026 times
My 2 cents worth! Returned to Ky (my home state after living in western North Carolina for 16 yrs.) Settled on the I-75 corridor (Mount Vernon) where I still have the foothills of the Appalachians yet border the rolling pastural so famous in bluegrass country. I love this area but wish it was a quicker drive to family in Louisville. Small town atmosphere with decent shopping with 20-30 minutes drive depending on what stores I'm looking for.

Old 05-28-2008, 12:11 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,071,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
Very good. It is located in the North and is also part of the Midwest. You should try actually doing some research before you post! It obvious you haven't done much research at all to even have the sightest clue as to what you are talking about. Here some research that might help you: Midwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The Midwest as shown by U.S. Census Bureau official map. The fact that the Census Bureau considers Indiana to be a Midwestern state I would bet they are probably right. And yes you did take geography class to know it is a Northern state as well. Come to think of it all of Kentucky, that is the entire state, is located in the South according to the Census Bureau (just in case you didn't know).

YES I KNOW the census bureau considers Indiana to be a Midwestern state but most people in indiana have agreed that we are more Northern that Midwestern. + i did already know taht Kentucky is located in the South according to the Census bureau

Old 05-28-2008, 01:31 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,094,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
YES I KNOW the census bureau considers Indiana to be a Midwestern state but most people in indiana have agreed that we are more Northern that Midwestern. + i did already know taht Kentucky is located in the South according to the Census bureau
My understanding of Northern is anything that isn't southern, period.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:56 PM

914 posts, read 1,985,781 times
I grew up in the Jackson Purchase area. With the exception of UK sports, sometimes it felt like we were part of Tennessee instead of Kentucky. Our whole area as well as over to the Bowling Green area and south of the West KY Parkway is much more closely aligned with Nashville than Louisville/Lexington/NKY. I think we were much more Southern in culture than other parts of the state, which is a good thing. I live in the North/Midwest, and I really don't like it. That being said, I think Kentucky as a whole is much more Southern (in sports, music, food, religion, socially) than Midwest. Kentucky and Tennessee are very similar while Ohio and Kentucky aren't all that similar. Unfortunately, Kentucky is economically much more similar with the Midwest than the South. The organized labor/unions from Ohio and Indiana have definitely had an influence on economic policy in Kentucky which has prevented Kentucky from becoming a right-to-work state. Because of that you're seeing much more development in Tennessee than Kentucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky