Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 10:28 AM

6 posts, read 20,392 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are planning a move to Kentucky, but we can't decide on a specific location in Kentucky. I was hoping that if I maybe explained what kind of town we're looking for, someone on here could give us a little insight as to where we might be happy.

1. He is a police officer and I am just finishing up school with a degree in photography. I realize he won't have too hard of a time finding a job, but I would need to be somewhere with either a town newspaper or a studio.

2. We would like to be near black mountain, although it's not necessary. Somewhere pretty will do just fine

3. My boyfriend is an avid whitetail deer hunter and refuses to go anywhere there aren't whitetail deer. From what I understand, the entire state of Kentucky is pretty well populated with whitetails, but if there is somewhere that is known for better hunting, he would like to be there, or at least a short drive away.

4. As far as how big of a place we'd like to move, we aren't being too picky. We would prefer a fairly small town, but that's just a preference, we can work around it. I actually LOVE Lexington and it's a decent sized city, definitely more people than what we would like, but it feels like a small town to me. If we could find a place like that, that would be perfect as well. I guess what's so appealing about a small town is the idea of everyone knowing everyone else, walking down the street and being able to see a friendly and familiar face wherever you go.

5. Low crime. Although my boyfriend is a police officer, we want to live somewhere that we don't have to worry about feeling uncomfortable and unsafe. We plan on having a family and the last thing we want is to raise a family in an unsafe environment.

6. Finally, there are just the basics left: A hospital close by, if not in town; walmart or "walmart-esque" stores to do a little basic shopping; docs and dentists within a reasonable distance; etc.

Hopefully we aren't asking for too much and there is a friendly little town in Kentucky where we would be happy to call our home! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 11:44 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Whitesburg, Pikeville, Prestonsburg, Hazard will all fill your bill.

Old 07-04-2008, 07:26 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Within a one hour radius of Black Mountain: Pineville, Cumberland, Harlan, Lynch, Whitesburg, Fleming-Neon, Hazard, Vicco, Hindman, Prestonsburg, Martin, Pikeville, Jenkins.

Within one hour of Black Mtn. but two hours of Lexington: Hazard.

Hazard might well be your best bet in this case.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:02 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
The Eden Shale region of Northern Kentucky has the highest concentration of White Tails anywhere in the US. This area is just outside of Cincinnati, you might look at Carroll, Grant, or Pendleton Counties.

Harlan Co is beautiful, but very remote. The nearest larger town is Middlesboro, which is about 30 miles from Harlan (the town)

Old 07-05-2008, 05:05 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The Eden Shale region of Northern Kentucky has the highest concentration of White Tails anywhere in the US. This area is just outside of Cincinnati, you might look at Carroll, Grant, or Pendleton Counties.

Harlan Co is beautiful, but very remote. The nearest larger town is Middlesboro, which is about 30 miles from Harlan (the town)
Census, a bit of an old man's experience, if I may? You have a wonderful understanding of data and where to find it. You have found an extremely valuable skill. What I would suggest to you and so many other people, please use your great talent to answer people's questions. For example, the OP specifically requested to be near Black Mountain. Your response would be confusing to people who have no idea where Carroll County is.

Please keep your great stats coming, but be certain they pertain to and answer the question.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:58 AM

11 posts, read 48,356 times
Within a one hour radius of Black Mountain: Pineville, Cumberland, Harlan, Lynch, Whitesburg, Fleming-Neon, Hazard, Vicco, Hindman, Prestonsburg, Martin, Pikeville, Jenkins.

Hazard and Pikeville are the only two with any size hospital, newspaper, or police department...I have lived in eastern KY 33 of my 44 years and out of these I would definately choose Pikeville.

Old 07-05-2008, 08:05 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Sto819, I echo what talkradio says about Pikeville..I hope you will consider a short visit and look around..We are a small town with the big town amnities as far as hospitals, higher education, and shopping go..Here is a link you may want to take a look at..Oh the hunting is great..In fact in most areas during deer season you may not have to leave your yard But, I would rather shoot with a camera..
There should be some good links here too..

Pikeville Kentucky - The City That Moves Mountains
Pike County Kentucky -- Home

Last edited by Miss Blue; 07-05-2008 at 08:11 AM.. Reason: add content

Old 07-05-2008, 09:23 AM

149 posts, read 764,080 times
Maybe this will be helpful - State Police entry exams are given in October i think. And the Academy is located somewhere around Lexington. And then they'll tell you where available positions are, probly given you a choice if you want mountains. There's State Police Forum on the internet with Kentucky section for details. Otherwise no offense, but y'all might be dreaming if ye think you can just drop into any small town and git hired for local enforcement on the spot. Many locales employ fewer than 8 policemen.

Another option worth considering is Fish'n Game Dept - Now expanding with Knott County in particular opening up 43,000 acres of wilderness for recreational use. Leglisation passed for this in March '08 coupla months ago. It was Kentucky Fish'n Game Dept that helped with Hurricane Katrina deploying coupla hundred armed search & rescue officers patrolling in bass boats to help recover survivors. Fish'n Game Dept here is probly one of the best in USA. And fits perfectly with hunting and outdoors skills plus law enforcement background. Its rapidly expanding now and gotta be lookin for recruits as I've said. Deffinitely search * Knott County * here in the forum and you'll hear about new wilderness rec area in the mountains. Harlan County too is workin along similar lines. Massive push from Frankfort to develop Kentucky as hunter and outdoorsman paradise. Y'all heard amazing success of bringin Elk back to Apalachia Mountains? Now cougars and bears pushed out by civilization and over development everywhere else are showing up.

Last edited by KYcoyote; 07-05-2008 at 09:44 AM..

Old 07-05-2008, 09:49 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Here is a link to Post 9, (located on North Mayo Trail, Pikeville) Ky. State police that serves several counties..With the large area this serves, I am sure there are many troopers and possibly some openings.

Kentucky State Police: Post 9

This will provide lots of links about the Ky State police, the academy and employment opportunities..

Old 07-05-2008, 11:14 AM

6 posts, read 20,392 times
thank you everybody for all the great suggestions! kycoyote, it's funny that you mentioned the fish and game department. he originally wanted to get into the environmental side of law enforcement, so it's very exciting that you brought that to our attention!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky