Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: (W) KENTUCKY BETTER THAN (E) KENTUCKY
yes 26 66.67%
no 13 33.33%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 05:36 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,072,783 times

Advertisements

you should know that indiana is actually considered a Northern State! Not Midwestern
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 05:42 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,096,009 times
Indiana is Midwestern but in the South those above the Mason-Dixon line is "Northern" as well.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:05 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,058,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckyguy View Post
I am confused...you say that Western Kentucky looks like southern Indiana and Western Kentucky is southern in culture?!? Last time I checked Indiana was located in the Midwest, not the South. So how then is Western Kentucky southern if you believe it to be "just like Indiana?" Furthermore, have you actually lived in Northern Kentucky or Louisville for that matter? I can say from living in Indiana for quite sometime as well as Kentucky that Kentucky as a whole is very different from Indiana in terms of culture and that includes the entire state not just parts of it.
Did you read the part that said "looks like" and "topographically"? And then where I went on to differentiate on the "cultural" outlook of Western KY?

Reading comprehension. You should try it sometime.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncello View Post
I grew up in Webster Co. which is in western Kentucky, received two degrees from U of K, and via U of K had friends all over the state.

From life, observations, and travel, I'd say there are 6 Kentuckies: The Jackson Purchase area (Paducah and south) which is more southern and vaguely old fashioned in a 1930s delta-backwater way; Southern Ky. that stretches east of Bowling Green to west of Corbin, which is a pseudo-Tennessee, but a bit more reserved possibly. It's a "Southern Mid-west", very generically South and has an "in the middle of nowhere" location-wise feel; Northern Kentucky in a semicirlce south with Covington as its center, which is the closest thing to Yankee territory in Ky. with a lingering Germanesque essence. All of this makes it just a little like Pittsburg somehow; Eastern Ky. east of I-75 which is interiorly stand-offish and for some unexplainable reason, home to great oddities befalling its children growing up; Lexington = horse cliquety-clique, blase, and somehow "in the know about not much at all" and rather blue as the region's name implies, a mint julep without the mint or julep. The area immediately around Lexington is so beautiful you want to chocolate-coat the horsefarms and eat them; Louisville which is really small town America with a bigger population. It is exactly what a Kentucky city should be... not a city at all really, i.e, an urban area; and Western Ky which runs along a line from Ft. Campbell north to Owensboro and roughly 60 miles to either side of it. Possibly because this area sits on the Dixie Beeline (Hwy 41), it has something slightly more worldly overlaid with family values and a number of 20k plus towns that are nice: Henderson, Madisonville, Hopkinsville, BG, Owensboro, etc. all big enough to make you feel like nobody much wants to peep over your back fence.

I've never met better people than Kentuckians no matter where I've gone. The great charm of Kentucky is that it is interesting in its plainness and one always feels that there are stories behind Kentuckians' lives and they'd tell the truth of them to you, if you wait around awhile.
All very true. Great post!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:22 PM

137 posts, read 448,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
you should know that indiana is actually considered a Northern State! Not Midwestern
Very good. It is located in the North and is also part of the Midwest. You should try actually doing some research before you post! It obvious you haven't done much research at all to even have the sightest clue as to what you are talking about. Here some research that might help you: Midwestern United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The Midwest as shown by U.S. Census Bureau official map. The fact that the Census Bureau considers Indiana to be a Midwestern state I would bet they are probably right. And yes you did take geography class to know it is a Northern state as well. Come to think of it all of Kentucky, that is the entire state, is located in the South according to the Census Bureau (just in case you didn't know).

Old 04-17-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
Did you read the part that said "looks like" and "topographically"? And then where I went on to differentiate on the "cultural" outlook of Western KY?

Reading comprehension. You should try it sometime.
Acutally this is the part I read: I think Eastern AND Western KY have their southern identities. The only places in the state where you don't find that, are Louisville and the greater Cincinnati suburbs (and possibly that area between them - not sure). Lexington is definitely a Southern city in feel and self-identity.

If you say, where you don't find that normally means as a matter of fact, as if what you are saying is true, not your opinion, rather a fact. I would be more careful when referring to places like Louisville and Northern Kentucky, two places you obviously know nothing about.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:22 PM

Default I apologize...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I must apologize! You were just looking for some help and I totally did not help you at all! I really apologize for talking to you the way I did! It was immature of me and downright stupid. I do hope you will forgive me. Take care. Sorry again. I need to be more careful with the way I talk to people!

Old 04-18-2008, 07:23 AM

Quote:
I would be more careful when referring to places like Louisville and Northern Kentucky, two places you obviously know nothing about.
You are quite mistaken, dear sir. You actually do not know me at all, and you don't know what I am familiar with. I know quite a bit about Kentucky and its regions, having lived here all my life. Have a nice day.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:03 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,072,783 times
Quote:
I must apologize! You were just looking for some help and I totally did not help you at all! I really apologize for talking to you the way I did! It was immature of me and downright stupid. I do hope you will forgive me. Take care. Sorry again. I need to be more careful with the way I talk to people!

it's okay just remember to be more carefull and think before you type!

Old 04-18-2008, 11:38 AM

86 posts, read 359,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncello View Post
I grew up in Webster Co. which is in western Kentucky, received two degrees from U of K, and via U of K had friends all over the state.

From life, observations, and travel, I'd say there are 6 Kentuckies: The Jackson Purchase area (Paducah and south) which is more southern and vaguely old fashioned in a 1930s delta-backwater way; Southern Ky. that stretches east of Bowling Green to west of Corbin, which is a pseudo-Tennessee, but a bit more reserved possibly. It's a "Southern Mid-west", very generically South and has an "in the middle of nowhere" location-wise feel; Northern Kentucky in a semicirlce south with Covington as its center, which is the closest thing to Yankee territory in Ky. with a lingering Germanesque essence. All of this makes it just a little like Pittsburg somehow; Eastern Ky. east of I-75 which is interiorly stand-offish and for some unexplainable reason, home to great oddities befalling its children growing up; Lexington = horse cliquety-clique, blase, and somehow "in the know about not much at all" and rather blue as the region's name implies, a mint julep without the mint or julep. The area immediately around Lexington is so beautiful you want to chocolate-coat the horsefarms and eat them; Louisville which is really small town America with a bigger population. It is exactly what a Kentucky city should be... not a city at all really, i.e, an urban area; and Western Ky which runs along a line from Ft. Campbell north to Owensboro and roughly 60 miles to either side of it. Possibly because this area sits on the Dixie Beeline (Hwy 41), it has something slightly more worldly overlaid with family values and a number of 20k plus towns that are nice: Henderson, Madisonville, Hopkinsville, BG, Owensboro, etc. all big enough to make you feel like nobody much wants to peep over your back fence.

I've never met better people than Kentuckians no matter where I've gone. The great charm of Kentucky is that it is interesting in its plainness and one always feels that there are stories behind Kentuckians' lives and they'd tell the truth of them to you, if you wait around awhile.
Very informative post, Lemoncello. I don't live in Kentucky, so I don't have an opinion to add to the thread discussion. However, I would like to ask Lemoncellko about the following statement in his/her post as it pertains to Lexington:

"Lexington = horse cliquety-clique, blase, and somehow "in the know about not much at all" and rather blue as the region's name implies, a mint julep without the mint or julep. The area immediately around Lexington is so beautiful you want to chocolate-coat the horsefarms and eat them;"

When you say "blue," what are you referring to? Other than being called the "bluegrass" state, I don't know what other meanings might be attached to "blue."

More importantly, to me, is your reference to the area immediately around Lexington. I have always wanted to live there because of the horse farms. Can you name some places immediately around Lexington that you would recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky