Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:59 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,429,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Hun I am going to kiss you for the "young" part My husband and I have talked about getting out of Louisville for a very long time but it has to be where he can find work as a commercial/industrial electritian. I also don't want to be TOO far from the rest of my family but... who knows!
There is commercial/industrial jobs in western KY, I'm not the right guy to ask when, where, what etc ... I'm just a guy that works on houses. But there is industry in Calvert City (by the lakes) and Paducah (on the rivers) and a few in Murray the rest is a smattering of smaller service industry, retail, and ag services. If he does residential electric there stall is quite a bit of new home construction in Murray and Paducah. There other areas are steady but slow, much like it aways has been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:02 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,092,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
There is commercial/industrial jobs in western KY, I'm not the right guy to ask when, where, what etc ... I'm just a guy that works on houses. But there is industry in Calvert City (by the lakes) and Paducah (on the rivers) and a few in Murray the rest is a smattering of smaller service industry, retail, and ag services. If he does residential electric there stall is quite a bit of new home construction in Murray and Paducah. There other areas are steady but slow, much like it aways has been.
No residential, just commercial and some industrial. Thank you for the info!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:16 AM

14 posts, read 73,853 times
Do it!. You are 22 without a family (wife & kids), what are you waiting for?. I'll say go to more places than Texas, perhaps a few months in Europe will do you good. You can always come back to KY when you get older and perhaps appreciate the difference then, but the experience of getting out of our home town is one that most of us have.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:14 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,136,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbucks View Post
Do it!. You are 22 without a family (wife & kids), what are you waiting for?. I'll say go to more places than Texas, perhaps a few months in Europe will do you good. You can always come back to KY when you get older and perhaps appreciate the difference then, but the experience of getting out of our home town is one that most of us have.
I agree...I hate to go back home and see friends who had the oppertunity to leave, never did, and now wonder "I wonder what _______ would've been like"

There's a much bigger world than KY. Leave while you can, before you get bogged down with a family, career obligations, etc.

My parents and friends thought I was crazy for moving to Chicago (its too cold, too fast paced, too much crime, etc etc etc). Now they try to turn my place into a weekend getaway hotel.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:42 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,809,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbucks View Post
I think I'd like to make my permanent base in the Lone Star State, but I really would like to see the world. Maybe with their massive job market I will be able to land a job that will enable me to live in Houston, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Austin, or someplace and occasionally travel. Just a thought!

Oh, another thing from this single male's perspective: When I lived in Cincinnati and traveled to Atlanta, I noticed the ladies I met in those places were generally more laid-back, friendly, and all about just having a good time without any pretentious "frills" or uppity attitudes. They were just themselves. I got more hits and interests from girls in those two cities in FIVE DAYS than I do in Kentucky in FIVE YEARS! No joke! Those Kentucky girls are just so uptight and even boring, sadly. I've heard Texas girls (save for Dallas and Plano) are friendly and easy-going, too, and the ones I've met generally have been hard-working, happy, and friendly. (Oh, I know somebody will say "Well, if you were just friendly and interesting, then you'd score will with us Kentucky girls." Puh-leeeeez. I'm quite the charmer and I'm not socially inept.)

Anyway, back on tangent. I guess you're right, my experiences living and traveling outside of Kentucky will help me know whether or not I truly do appreciate some aspect of the Commonwealth. I really used to swear up and down that I never would live outside of this state, but the more I travel, the more I veer to the other side.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 03-06-2008 at 03:51 PM..

Old 03-06-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I agree...I hate to go back home and see friends who had the oppertunity to leave, never did, and now wonder "I wonder what _______ would've been like"
I know, it's a shame, isn't it? Please God, don't let me be the guy who has the opportunity and is too afraid to pursue it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
There's a much bigger world than KY. Leave while you can, before you get bogged down with a family, career obligations, etc.

My parents and friends thought I was crazy for moving to Chicago (its too cold, too fast paced, too much crime, etc etc etc). Now they try to turn my place into a weekend getaway hotel.
My family doesn't really think I'm crazy for considering Texas or anyplace else. They are disappointed in the fact that I would not have any interest in remaining a Kentucky resident. (Make sense?) They're supportive and discouraging at the same time. I will always be proud to be from Kentucky, sure, and I will thoroughly enjoy bringing new friends and family back here to enjoy the cultural and scenic offerings, but only time will tell if I return permanently.

Old 03-06-2008, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,429 times
I left KY almost 15 years ago for a technical position and will be relocating back in the very near future.

What brings me back is family. What allows me to come back is the technical job can come with me and allow me to work from home.

I miss the natural beauty of the Bluegrass State and having been raised in the capital city, everything that goes along with that. Many may not think that much of Frankfort but as someone who visits yearly, it is dear to my heart.

Having left single, I will return with my husband who was born abroad and raised in the south. For the past 10 years he has made yearly treks with me and has grown closer to my family and developed his own friendships with others in the town.

I wish you well in whatever you endeavor to do. I do think that now is the best time to make the decision for a move of this type. You can always return home if you change your mind.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:59 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,092,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
I think I'd like to make my permanent base in the Lone Star State, but I really would like to see the world. Maybe with their massive job market I will be able to land a job that will enable me to live in Houston, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Austin, or someplace and occasionally travel. Just a thought!

Oh, another thing from this single male's perspective: When I lived in Cincinnati and traveled to Atlanta, I noticed the ladies I met in those places were generally more laid-back, friendly, and all about just having a good time without any pretentious "frills" or uppity attitudes. They were just themselves. I got more hits and interests from girls in those two cities in FIVE DAYS than I do in Kentucky in FIVE YEARS! No joke! Those Kentucky girls are just so uptight and even boring, sadly. I've heard Texas girls (save for Dallas and Plano) are friendly and easy-going, too, and the ones I've met generally have been hard-working, happy, and friendly. (Oh, I know somebody will say "Well, if you were just friendly and interesting, then you'd score will with us Kentucky girls." Puh-leeeeez. I'm quite the charmer and I'm not socially inept.)

Anyway, back on tangent. I guess you're right, my experiences living and traveling outside of Kentucky will help me know whether or not I truly do appreciate some aspect of the Commonwealth. I really used to swear up and down that I never would live outside of this state, but the more I travel, the more I veer to the other side.
I think it is all about perspective. When I went to Cinci, the people I met there tended to be rude and brash (I am sure not all are, juts the ones I encountered.)

Where are you meeting the young ladies you are having trouble with? I am sorry that you are having such a hard time here.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I think it is all about perspective. When I went to Cinci, the people I met there tended to be rude and brash (I am sure not all are, juts the ones I encountered.)

Where are you meeting the young ladies you are having trouble with? I am sorry that you are having such a hard time here.
Well, you know, I meet them at the usual places: church, college, work. I did the same thing up in Cincy as I do here downstate. In Atlanta, I just struck up friendly conversations with girls working at hotels, restaurants, and stores; no overt flirtation or sexual harassment, I was just myself, cool and casual. Most (not all, but most) Kentucky girls I encounter are sour or really "countrified" to the point of annoyance and I'm not sure I really even want to hit it off with them (and I haven't with the ones I've talked to.) I don't go to nightclubs (okay, I've only been once,) do the online singles thing, and don't hit on girls at bars. I'm a nice guy, after all. I don't feel like I'm giving off a rude or negative vibe.

You're right, it is a matter of perception. We all have different experiences in life and the places we venture to, and our perceptions of Louisville and Cincinnati are opposite. Actually, when I talk about Cincinnati, I lived in Highland Heights, KY, which is practically just across the river, and it's the only place in Kentucky where I actually enjoyed living (I guess b/c the culture isn't all "Kentuckified.")

While I lived up there, I did a lot of things in Cincy, though: the Contemporary Arts Center, Cincinnati Art Museum, Eden Park, got a special tour of Great American Ballpark, watched the Reds Play, watched the construction of Paul Brown Stadium, toured the University of Cincinnati, had my picture taken on the UC football field, and watched the opera. Plus, I saw that the people of Cincy/NKY were SO enthusiastic and proud of their area and always recommended things to do. Oh yeah, the girls (the natives, anyway) were friendly to me.

In Louisville, all I ever felt like I received was a snub, like nobody even wanted me in "their" city, and a semi-sneering "oh, you have a slight Kentucky accent, you're obviously not from Louisville." Funny, since it is in Kentucky. It was sad to read the school paper and read comments and letters to the editor from students saying something like "UofL has always been a school for us from Louisville and would be best if it stayed that way." Uh, uh...was I still in America's 16th-largest city? Oh lastly, I've met some nice L'ville natives, sure, but most of the nicest people I met while I lived and/or attended college in Louisville were from...wait, you guessed it, Cincy/NKY!

Okay, sorry I got off tangent here, but this was totally improptu.

Last edited by EclecticEars; 03-07-2008 at 07:43 AM..

Old 03-07-2008, 08:44 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,521,759 times
I never LEFT Kentucky, because I wasn't born and raised here..I came here, fell in love with the state and will only leave with my last breath
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky