Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 09:23 AM

108 posts, read 452,537 times

Advertisements

I'll try to address your question...

I grew up in the Ashland area, and by the time I reached high school I was determined to go to an out-of-state college. I thought small-town life was boring, and I wanted to escape from my hometown. After college I planned to get a job in an exciting big city with a variety of cultures and plenty of things to do...basically the opposite of northeastern Kentucky.

I went to college at Virginia Tech, and after I graduated I got married and my wife and I moved to Indianapolis for a couple of years so she could attend graduate school. Indy is a decent enough city, I suppose, but it has its problems just like anywhere else. After a couple of years, we ended up in Norfolk, Virginia right in the middle of a metropolitan area of about 1.5 million people.

I should have been happy with this, based on the plans I made as a teenager, but after a couple of years we found out we were expecting twin boys. We were renting a place that would be too small for our rapidly expanding family, so we decided to move. Now, a few months later, I am writing this from my office in...Ashland. I ended up coming full circle, back in the place I wanted more than anything to move away from.

Why did I come back to Kentucky? I think it mostly has to do with the stage of life I'm in and the quality of life here. There were things I didn't appreciate when I was growing up that I value highly now. Some reasons I came back to Kentucky:

-Low cost of living, especially real estate. We bought a 3-BR home on a decent lot for $82,500. Of course, you'd have to pay more in other parts of Kentucky, but it's still relatively inexpensive to live here.

-Lower crime. When we were in the Hampton Roads area, they actually installed gunshot detectors on the telephone poles in parts of Newport News. If someone fired a gun, these devices would detect the gunshot and automatically notify the computers in the 911 dispatch center so that police could be more quickly dispatched to the area. I know that crime can be a problem anywhere, but I do not want to live in an area where gunshot detectors are necessary!

-Less traffic. I understand your frustration with what I would consider the "overly cautious" drivers in Kentucky. However, I can deal with people driving too slowly in the left lane, because in some of the other places I've lived, it's impossible to drive anywhere without having a near-death experience on the roads.

-Friendly people. At least in the Ashland area, people are very friendly and helpful. We've had more neighbors introduce themselves to us in the few months we've been here than in all the years we lived in other places. I'm sure there are less friendly places in parts of Kentucky, but overall the people here are one of the best things about the state. Maybe this is more of a small town thing than something unique to Kentucky, though.

I can confidently say that Kentucky is the right place for my family at this time. It's not perfect, and I think there's a need for the state to attract more high-tech employers, but I'm glad I returned to my roots.

Kentucky may not be the right place for you, though. I'd say, if you want to elsewhere to finish your education, go for it and see how you like living in another area. You might end up back in Kentucky one day, like me, or you might end up staying in Houston. You're the only one who can determine what is best for you.

Oh, and one last thing, about the drivers stopping at mall entrances when they have the right of way...I've seen that everywhere I've ever lived. It's just one more reason why I hate shopping malls in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 02:19 PM

70 posts, read 206,466 times
I would be surprised to find out there is a PERFECT place to live anywhere in this world. There are going to be good points and bad points about any city, town, rural area, etc... I believe it's what you make it wherever you decide to live. As long as YOU are happy with your decision, that's what matters!

I didn't move to KY until I was 14 years old. At that point I despised it because I had been uprooted from everything I knew and loved. However, it took only a short period of time for me to grow accustomed to the place and the people.

I moved away during my military experience but when it was over I came back to Kentucky. I love living here for so many reasons but the most desirable for me has been the people. Now that I live in a smaller town I'm amazed how many people I know whenever I do something as simple as going to the grocery store. There is always a familiar face and total strangers who smile and say hello. I wouldn't want it any other way. (being a bubbly person myself doesn't' hurt either, lol)

Old 02-22-2008, 02:22 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,807,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Village Idiot View Post

I grew up in the Ashland area, and by the time I reached high school I was determined to go to an out-of-state college. I thought small-town life was boring, and I wanted to escape from my hometown. After college I planned to get a job in an exciting big city with a variety of cultures and plenty of things to do...basically the opposite of northeastern Kentucky.

I went to college at Virginia Tech, and after I graduated I got married and my wife and I moved to Indianapolis for a couple of years so she could attend graduate school. Indy is a decent enough city, I suppose, but it has its problems just like anywhere else. After a couple of years, we ended up in Norfolk, Virginia right in the middle of a metropolitan area of about 1.5 million people.

I should have been happy with this, based on the plans I made as a teenager, but after a couple of years we found out we were expecting twin boys. We were renting a place that would be too small for our rapidly expanding family, so we decided to move. Now, a few months later, I am writing this from my office in...Ashland. I ended up coming full circle, back in the place I wanted more than anything to move away from.

Why did I come back to Kentucky? I think it mostly has to do with the stage of life I'm in and the quality of life here. There were things I didn't appreciate when I was growing up that I value highly now. Some reasons I came back to Kentucky:

-Low cost of living, especially real estate. We bought a 3-BR home on a decent lot for $82,500. Of course, you'd have to pay more in other parts of Kentucky, but it's still relatively inexpensive to live here.

-Lower crime. When we were in the Hampton Roads area, they actually installed gunshot detectors on the telephone poles in parts of Newport News. If someone fired a gun, these devices would detect the gunshot and automatically notify the computers in the 911 dispatch center so that police could be more quickly dispatched to the area. I know that crime can be a problem anywhere, but I do not want to live in an area where gunshot detectors are necessary!

-Less traffic. I understand your frustration with what I would consider the "overly cautious" drivers in Kentucky. However, I can deal with people driving too slowly in the left lane, because in some of the other places I've lived, it's impossible to drive anywhere without having a near-death experience on the roads.

-Friendly people. At least in the Ashland area, people are very friendly and helpful. We've had more neighbors introduce themselves to us in the few months we've been here than in all the years we lived in other places. I'm sure there are less friendly places in parts of Kentucky, but overall the people here are one of the best things about the state. Maybe this is more of a small town thing than something unique to Kentucky, though.

I can confidently say that Kentucky is the right place for my family at this time. It's not perfect, and I think there's a need for the state to attract more high-tech employers, but I'm glad I returned to my roots.

Kentucky may not be the right place for you, though. I'd say, if you want to elsewhere to finish your education, go for it and see how you like living in another area. You might end up back in Kentucky one day, like me, or you might end up staying in Houston. You're the only one who can determine what is best for you.

Oh, and one last thing, about the drivers stopping at mall entrances when they have the right of way...I've seen that everywhere I've ever lived. It's just one more reason why I hate shopping malls in general.
I agree with you on the points of lower cost of living, lower crime, and less traffic (okay, I still hate the abundance of slow and/or self-righteous-always-in-the-left-lane drivers.) I can tell you that here in Lawrenceburg, my neighbors aren't friendly at all. In fact, three or four are just outright snippy a**holes. However, the neighbors were pretty friendly when I lived in western Kentucky; I mean, I was like five at the time (in 1991), but some of our old WKY neighbors are still good friends with my parents to this day. It just depends on the neighborhood you move to, really, more than even any region of the state.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:33 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,807,824 times
Quote:
You're right, there's only one way I can find out, and that is to experience some place(s) else.

I mean, I just met a man that was raised in eastern Kentucky, moved off to Alaska, lived there for 50+ years without even returning to Kentucky for a visit, and he moved to Lawrenceburg to retire. Yes, it's cold in Alaska, but he said that didn't bother him that much. He said he thought he would return home, but that his real home is and will always be Alaska.

So, it seems like so many who leave actually return. It boggles my mind, really. In fact, I can honestly state that 95% of the people I've ever met who move out of Kentucky for any reason, come back. I can't predict what will be my case 25 years from now, but I know now that it's time to move on from this Commonwealth.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:18 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,428,545 times
Quote:

Amen brother ... I did nearly the same thing. Moved the the big city (several actually) had all the culture, life style etc I could stand. Now I'm happily back in Far Western KY where you don't have to lock your door ... even while you're on vacation. People help people, nobody is a stranger even if you don't know them, and if you go to the store and you forgot you money ... don't worry about it, just pay them next time your in.
Small town life is not for everybody, but I'll take it over the city anytime.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:55 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,089,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Amen brother ... I did nearly the same thing. Moved the the big city (several actually) had all the culture, life style etc I could stand. Now I'm happily back in Far Western KY where you don't have to lock your door ... even while you're on vacation. People help people, nobody is a stranger even if you don't know them, and if you go to the store and you forgot you money ... don't worry about it, just pay them next time your in.
Small town life is not for everybody, but I'll take it over the city anytime.
I want to live in an area like that. The people here are great but oh so busy!

Old 02-23-2008, 09:23 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,135,112 times
I'll try to address your question as best I can...

I felt the same way that you did. I grew up in Bowling Green (I guess not a small town by Kentucky standards) and after attending college in KY for 3 years I was ready to get out. The positives of the state (which I'll list) were far outweighed by the negatives. So I decided I was gonna up and move in the summer to some place that I thought I might want to live after I graduated. I was dead set on LA but I decided to give Chicago a chance because of the internship oppertunity presented.

After spending a summer away I don't think I'd ever move back to KY. I felt like I lived more in 4 months than I did in a year in KY. I'm drawn to diverse, eclectic, and vibrant places. Chicago offered all of that. I could get done with my internship on Friday afternoon, have a few brews with the co-workers downtown. Hop on the "El" back to Wrigleyville, grab some food, and then head out and party the rest of the night (bars in the city don't close till 5 am).

There's were tons of musuems (I went to the field museum 4 times over the summer and still haven't seen all of the exhibits), street festivals, and night spots to explore. The singles seen, and the scene for young professionals was also very welcoming and entertaining.

As a single, young professional, I think you should definately check out some other parts of the country. You've always got KY to come back to. Even for those Kentuckians who come back, I bet if you'd asked them if they were glad that they left they'd say that they were.

Here are my positives for KY:
~Cost of living is very affordable
~Great place to raise kids
~ Southern cooking (We know how to cook in KY!)

Negatives for KY:
~Most parts aren't very diverse
~Only one true urban city (Louisville)
~Limited oppertunities

Here are some cities I think you might like from reading your post:

Chicago, Boston, San Fran, NYC

Old 02-24-2008, 12:27 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,428,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I want to live in an area like that. The people here are great but oh so busy!
Go west young woman, go west. (just stop when you get to the Mississippi river)

Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,089,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Go west young woman, go west. (just stop when you get to the Mississippi river)
Hun I am going to kiss you for the "young" part My husband and I have talked about getting out of Louisville for a very long time but it has to be where he can find work as a commercial/industrial electritian. I also don't want to be TOO far from the rest of my family but... who knows!

Old 02-24-2008, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 6,469 times
Default Food

The food I have eaten in family restaurants in Kentucky was not that great. If you want real great tasting food.....travel to Bogota Colombia and try their restaurants. They are AWESOME !!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky