Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 06:48 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,813,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Wow, there's Mr. Negative again. What's up with the scroll???

Sorry but dumb comment, grow up. Learn to be positive, you'll feel better.
Another fact of life: I revel in humour. Enjoy it lavishly indeed. Sometimes to juxtapose or contradict the opinions of others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 11:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,586 times
Please trust me I was born and raised there and I have two girls, one who is 5 and one who is 14 and I wouldn't put them back in that place. Sure there are good people and bad people everywhere you go,but a town of that many people shouldn't have that many bad.I'm sorry if I sound negitive,but i'm just telling you my feelings about Richmond and from what i've heard sense i've been gone it is only getting worse everyday.No Berea is honestly a much better place and it is a lot more peaceful, but still drugs and crime like most places now days.

Old 04-17-2011, 03:42 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,917,721 times
With due respect, badboyburns2003, I think you nailed it when you stated (in regard to Berea) (there are) "still drugs and crime (there) like most places now days".

Like "most places", both Berea and Richmond are bound to have their share of crime and drugs, but to characterize either place as being crime and drug-ridden is highly inaccurate - unless you're referring to the steady pipeline of addictive prescription painkillers coming up from Florida's notoriously lax pain clinics via I-75. Most of this deplorable supply is heading for other communities, however.

I'm more familiar with Berea, but while the presence of EKU in Richmond may add to more alcohol-related petty offenses and arrests, I would hardly characterize the town as you did. I do make allowances for your account of what seems to have been a very difficult personal past in Richmond, with unsavory acquaintances perhaps involving you into stuff better left alone. But for your average, middle-class, college-aspiring family, I don't think this scenario is likely to replay in either Richmond or Berea.

I believe Berea is a somewhat safer place than Richmond - but it's smaller, is "moist" rather than wet (in regard to alcohol sales and availability) and the general ambiance of much of the community doesn't gravitate towards hard drugs or heavy alcohol consumption or criminal behavior. I'd venture that most of Richmond's population doesn't gravitate towards these unfortunate choices, either.

I have a strong suspicion, completely unconfirmed by any online or other research, that the education level is higher for Berea than for Richmond. I could be quite wrong...but this would also be a factor.

For families considering a move to either community, my advise would be not to be frightened away by inaccurately negative posts here, but to check out each place for yourself in every way possible, before making a final move. Both towns are pleasant places with much to offer, if you are selective about your housing choices and those whom you choose as good friends rather than polite acquaintances.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:00 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,579,893 times
Craig Creek, you're always so informative! Just curious, where are you from?

Old 04-17-2011, 09:01 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,917,721 times
I was born in Louisville, but grew up and live in central Kentucky. I have also lived out of state (in three other states plus D.C., at various times in my life).

I'm here in the Bluegrass to stay. Thanks for the kind words.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:22 PM

50 posts, read 77,942 times
amagoh on page 5 states "live in New York once, but leave before you get too hard...."

That is one of the (many!) reasons why we are looking to relocate to Kentucky. I'm sure there are some things that will take getting used to when we arrive, but it's time we leave before we are too much like stereotypical New Yorkers. I just hope that the civility I see here on this forum (for the most part) translates just as well in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky