Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 PM

8 posts, read 24,872 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My fiance and I currently live in rural Boone County and are looking for places to own in Covington and Newport. We are somewhat familiar with the urban areas, but not enough to feel confident to say which areas are safer than others.

A bit about us: we're in our early 20s, would like to be within walking distance of most entertainment/dining options, and prefer historic brick homes (but nothing that needs major rehabbing).

From what I've read on these forums already, it appears that regarding..

..Newport, the East Row is the best quality of homes and streets, but also a highest price/lowest growth in value combination. Some have said (back in 2008) the West Side of Newport, though not in the greatest shape curb appeal-wise, is slowly getting better and improving, rivaling the East Row in terms of retaining the character of the older homes. That said, I'd like to know more about whether or not it's still on that trajectory and if the time is right to move in on the West Side.

..Covington, the safety and quality of neighbors will vary block to block. We'd love to be 5 or less blocks from Mainstrausse, but understand the pricing will be quite high unless you buy a fixer-upper. So I was hoping someone could shed some light on which blocks/streets are safe and if there are any strong efforts being made to revitalize certain parts of Covington.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 12:57 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,753,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brayhite View Post
Hi all,

My fiance and I currently live in rural Boone County and are looking for places to own in Covington and Newport. We are somewhat familiar with the urban areas, but not enough to feel confident to say which areas are safer than others.

A bit about us: we're in our early 20s, would like to be within walking distance of most entertainment/dining options, and prefer historic brick homes (but nothing that needs major rehabbing).

From what I've read on these forums already, it appears that regarding..

..Newport, the East Row is the best quality of homes and streets, but also a highest price/lowest growth in value combination. Some have said (back in 2008) the West Side of Newport, though not in the greatest shape curb appeal-wise, is slowly getting better and improving, rivaling the East Row in terms of retaining the character of the older homes. That said, I'd like to know more about whether or not it's still on that trajectory and if the time is right to move in on the West Side.

..Covington, the safety and quality of neighbors will vary block to block. We'd love to be 5 or less blocks from Mainstrausse, but understand the pricing will be quite high unless you buy a fixer-upper. So I was hoping someone could shed some light on which blocks/streets are safe and if there are any strong efforts being made to revitalize certain parts of Covington.

Thanks in advance!
Don't believe what you read...downtown Covington is very safe. The crime is mostly petty with occasional property crime. The violent crime is drug related. Not a drug dealer? Then no worries.
I would choose Covington anyday, especially if I were single and in my 20's.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:29 PM

8 posts, read 24,872 times
We've started looking around Bellevue and fell in love with it. Dayton as well, but only the first three or four streets after the Bellevue/Dayton line.

Since then we've looked at several homes, loved/hated parts of each, and are ultimately still looking. I think at this point we're looking Bellevue, Dayton, Newport, Covington, rest of northern Kentucky in that order.

We're sticking mostly within the 6 blocks south of Route 8/Fairfield Avenue in Bellevue/Dayton. In Newport, we are looking to stay within a few streets of Monmouth Street, and no further south than 10th Street.

We've ruled out Ludlow/Bromley unless it's the eastern most side of Ludlow by West Covington. Any suggestions on other areas would be cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky