Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:24 PM

154 posts, read 533,903 times

Advertisements

Whats the deal with the crime in these places. I have listened to conversations that my parents have had about these towns and they always talk about how bad it used to be. Was it really that bad? How bad is it still? I go there quite frequently and I have never had in trouble, even at night, granted the clubs/drunks probably cause a little trouble but that can happen anywhere. Just wondering, can you guys give me some info? BTW I am in college so I don't know a lot about its past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 05:24 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Newport used to have a reputation has a major prostitute area. My sister lived in Dayton KY when I was ~5-6 years old. I remember it being a very run down area, a lot like Taylor Blvd is now in Louisville. After my sister moved to Alexandria we occasionally head to downtown Newport. It seemed very treeless and barren with a big gravel pit (or something else industrial) for a waterfront.

In 2009 East Row in Newport would be my #1 pick for an urban neighborhood to live in outside the Highlands in Louisville. It has great architecture, gritty alleys filled with granny flats, and is next to Newport on the Levee and its bookstores and restaurants. The Greenup Street area in Covington is also pretty nice.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:30 PM

So like where are these "bad" areas at right now? Dayton still seems a little ran down to me, looks kinda scary.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:16 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
I haven't to Dayton in years. I have looked at Newport on Google Street View and there seems to be a major decline in income from East (richest) to West (poorest). I'd guess anything east of Monmouth Street is pretty nice while anything west of it is pretty redneckish.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:29 PM

I dont know if you ever look but also if you look at the sex offender map, the west side is loaded with them....

Old 01-04-2009, 08:50 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Newport's east row
Covington's West Covington, Devou Park area, and Wallace Woods
Dayton and Bellevue along the riverfront
Basically the whole of Ft. Thomas

These are all very nice first-ring suburbs that have recuperated from past downfalls such as crime and prostitution. I would feel safe living in any of these communities now (except for parts of west Newport and south Covington.)

Northern Ky. is a rocking area with a lot of preserved history, downtown activity, and economic development (mostly spillover from new transplants and companies coming from Cincinnati/Hamilton County.) If I voluntarily stay in Kentucky, NKY will be the only area (otherwise, I plan on moving to Houston, Austin, or the CA Central Coast.)

Old 01-05-2009, 03:18 AM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
I agree with JCM...dayton is a nice area. I don't think there is hardly anything ghetto about almost anywhere in NKY. It is a pretty nice suburban area in general, and the older parts of Covington around Main Strasse, and Newport by the Levee are at least somewhat walkable and very historic and affordable.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
I agree with JCM...dayton is a nice area. I don't think there is hardly anything ghetto about almost anywhere in NKY. It is a pretty nice suburban area in general, and the older parts of Covington around Main Strasse, and Newport by the Levee are at least somewhat walkable and very historic and affordable.

Have you been there lately? Dayton is really ran down nothing about it looks nice and just to add in there are glass spots near the parking areas where cars have been broke into? The rest of Kentucky must look really nice to you in that case.

Old 01-05-2009, 04:42 PM

56 posts, read 161,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtrees_are_kool View Post
Have you been there lately? Dayton is really ran down nothing about it looks nice and just to add in there are glass spots near the parking areas where cars have been broke into? The rest of Kentucky must look really nice to you in that case.

I agree

Old 01-05-2009, 06:54 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,743,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmtrees_are_kool View Post
It is old and grtitty, but FAR from ghetto. Have you ever lived in a large city and seen the ghetto?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky