Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 12:21 AM

3 posts, read 3,179 times

Advertisements

I am a 22 year old female relocating from the south suburbs of Chicago to Shelybyville, Ky. What are your opinions on the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 06:04 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,340,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1990 View Post
I am a 22 year old female relocating from the south suburbs of Chicago to Shelybyville, Ky. What are your opinions on the area?

Shelbyville (not Shelybyville) is a community of many pockets. There are super wealthy, super poor, highly educated, nearly uneducated, and everything in-between.

If you are moving there to work and live, you'll be fine. Just take your time and shop well.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:11 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,909,298 times
Spanish is now the predominant language in Shelbyville.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:35 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,340,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Spanish is now the predominant language in Shelbyville.
While this may appear to be fact, it is not quite. Yes, many Hispanics have moved to Shelby County and work the farms and construction projects, but not as profound as "predominant."

Old 02-22-2013, 07:03 AM

Guess it's been a while since you walked through the Shelbyville WalMart.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:21 AM

7,078 posts, read 16,798,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1990 View Post
22? Single? Just curious as to why Shelbyville? It is a very nice suburban town, yet it is far removed from alot of the arts and culture of Louisville. Please advise, and we can give more advice.

With regards to Spanish in Shelbyville, you will find the percentage of Spanish speaking to be no different than any south side neighborhood of Chicago, and certainly NOT as high as well known all Hispanic suburbs like Berwyn, Cicero, etc.

Check out this site:

www.new2lou.com

I recommend one of the neighborhoods profiled on the site. Join the site to try to make some connections and meet people in the city!

Old 02-23-2013, 09:28 AM

You live in Florida and as I sit and type this I'm about a mile and a half from the Shelby County line, yet you know more about the subject?

Not everyone wants to live in downtown Louisville. You couldn't pay me to live there.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:39 PM

7,078 posts, read 16,798,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
You live in Florida and as I sit and type this I'm about a mile and a half from the Shelby County line, yet you know more about the subject?

Not everyone wants to live in downtown Louisville. You couldn't pay me to live there.
Yes, I do. Shelby County is 9.1% Hispanic. It is over 80% white. Like many cities, I travel to Louisville often and lived there for years.

Shelby County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

This is factual from the US Census data. Are there uncounted illegals in Shelby County? Absolutely. Are there uncounted illegals in every county in the US? Another large yes. So, no, Shelby County is by far a majority white rural community with some very large and nice bedroom communities to Louisville and a very quaint small town in Shelbyville. The reason that Shelby County "feels so Hispanic" is because Louisville metro area still has a VERY low percentage of Hispanics compared to the rest of the US. So any concentration of Hispanic neighborhoods feels magnified. The same can be said for very large Hispanic neighborhoods off Eastern Blvd in Clarksville, IN, and Blackiston Mill Rd, as well as South Preston Highway in Okolona and the south strawberry lane area of Louisville, near the airport.

Were the OP married with kids, I would recommend Shelby to her. But as a former Chicagoan, I know what amenities Chicagoans are used to; Shelby County does not have them. The OP lives in suburban Chicago, and may very well feel more comfortable in suburban areas. In that case, at her age, St Matthews or Middletown would be much better options. However, downtown Louisville and its environs, ie places like the Highlands should be strongly considered IMO. These areas have at least a few amenities of a place like urban Chicago without all the hassle, traffic, price, and crime.

Keep in mind I really like Shelby County, especially for a family. Should the OP respond she is married with kids, it may be a good option. It has decent schools, cheap homes, very fast growing, has most major amenities like basic shopping, restaurants, and a movie theatre, and has some beautiful horse country and pastures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky