Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 04:16 AM

13 posts, read 55,323 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My husband and I currently work at the Federal Correctional Complex in Coleman, Florida but we will hopefully soon be transferring to USP Leavenworth. We are trying to find a nice area to live in outside of Leavenworth. We would prefer to have a 30 minute or less drive to work everyday. We're both 26 and would like an area with people our age as where we live now is a mainly elderly area. We will be renting at first so a place with plenty of options as far as rentals go would be great! Also looking for a place with plenty of shopping, dining and entertainment options. A Lieutenant at work suggested Parkville but I think they may be too small of place. We don't really want to live directly in Kansas City but a larger suburb would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 07:08 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,504,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPribyl View Post
Hello all! My husband and I currently work at the Federal Correctional Complex in Coleman, Florida but we will hopefully soon be transferring to USP Leavenworth. We are trying to find a nice area to live in outside of Leavenworth. We would prefer to have a 30 minute or less drive to work everyday. We're both 26 and would like an area with people our age as where we live now is a mainly elderly area. We will be renting at first so a place with plenty of options as far as rentals go would be great! Also looking for a place with plenty of shopping, dining and entertainment options. A Lieutenant at work suggested Parkville but I think they may be too small of place. We don't really want to live directly in Kansas City but a larger suburb would be great.
You would probably like Parkville. It's a nice suburb that would put you within 30 minutes of Leavenworth and also close to everything the city offers.

If you are thinking of starting a family, you might also look into the Shawnee, KS area that is directly South of Leavenworth on K-7. Lots of young couples and little kids. A little further from the city attractions, but they are not out of reach by any means.

If you can tell us more of what you rae really looking for in a community, you will get more tailored responses.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
You would probably like Parkville. It's a nice suburb that would put you within 30 minutes of Leavenworth and also close to everything the city offers.

If you are thinking of starting a family, you might also look into the Shawnee, KS area that is directly South of Leavenworth on K-7. Lots of young couples and little kids. A little further from the city attractions, but they are not out of reach by any means.

If you can tell us more of what you rae really looking for in a community, you will get more tailored responses.
List of things:
1. Close to shopping, dining, and entertainment
2. Welcoming community
3. Couples our age 26-40
4. Low Crime area
5. Small City with the feel of a bigger city
6. Plenty of things to do
7. Block party type neighborhoods

Old 12-16-2008, 10:56 AM

1,662 posts, read 4,504,867 times
Quote:
List of things:
1. Close to shopping, dining, and entertainment
2. Welcoming community
3. Couples our age 26-40
4. Low Crime area
5. Small City with the feel of a bigger city
6. Plenty of things to do
7. Block party type neighborhoods

Okay -- In Shawnee, KS, you will get 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 For 1 and 6, it will depend on what you consider "close". Within 20-30 minutes, there is plenty of shopping, dining, entertainment and things to do. But if you are looking for stuff within the community itself, the West part of shawnee is pretty "bedroom", you will have to get out and about for your fun. We do have "block party" type neighborhoods, but they are centered more around kids and families -- which may or may not be what you meant.

I have never lived in Parkville, but have been there several times and know people who live there. I'd say all of the above for Parkville (except #7, which I can't speak to) plus it seems to have more of a "life of its own".

Old 12-16-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Okay -- In Shawnee, KS, you will get 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 For 1 and 6, it will depend on what you consider "close". Within 20-30 minutes, there is plenty of shopping, dining, entertainment and things to do. But if you are looking for stuff within the community itself, the West part of shawnee is pretty "bedroom", you will have to get out and about for your fun. We do have "block party" type neighborhoods, but they are centered more around kids and families -- which may or may not be what you meant.

I have never lived in Parkville, but have been there several times and know people who live there. I'd say all of the above for Parkville (except #7, which I can't speak to) plus it seems to have more of a "life of its own".
I'm thinking Parkville is probably going to be it. The more I look at it, it is the small town in the big city feel we are looking for. Now the only problem is finding rentals there. I'm having a bit of trouble finding any apartments and not too many houses.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:08 PM

Actually we have found an apartment complex called Falcon Falls in North KC. Does anyone know anything about it?

Old 10-11-2010, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,351 times
Default Moving to Leavenworth

Why wouldn't you want to live in the Leavenworth/Lansing area. Why give the money to another community. Lansing schools are rated top in the nation. It has all of the things on your list as far as livability. I wouldn't live in Johnson County, because of the crowds and congestion. They are closing down many schools. The list goes on. Yes, Parkville may be nice. You have everything you need right here in town. Shopping and dining is 20-30 minutes in any direction. You can go to the Missouri side and go to Zona Rosa. Stay on the Kansas side and go to the Legends. You want to travel a little farther than you have the Country Club Plaza about 30 or so minutes away. Wouldn't you like the luxury of driving 10 minutes to work? You really didn't get many replies, so I can see why you are undecided. Come visit the community. Speak to realtors that know what they are talking about(I am not a realtor) I just think you would enjoy Lansing/Leavenworth if you gave it a chance. Why do you think so many military families retire here. It's a great place to bring up kids and to retire!

Old 10-12-2010, 02:44 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,060,431 times
Quote:
Actually we have found an apartment complex called Falcon Falls in North KC. Does anyone know anything about it?
Go to apartmentratings.com and plug in the zip code for Falcon Falls to read opinions of some of the residents.

You are in FL now. Have you ever lived in an area that has to deal with snow/ice every winter? And at times, even blizzards? You will need to take that into consideration since you'll be commuting to work. The 60 mile roundtrip from NKC to Leavenworth can end up taking twice as long in the dead of winter; and if you're not used to driving on snow/ice covered roads, it is truly a nightmare.

While I can appreciate your wish list...there are many practical things you need to be taking into consideration vs. shopping, entertainment, etc. And low crime is impossible anywhere near Kansas City, KS and/or Kansas City, MO.

Wherever you end up renting, try to get the shortest lease term offered to allow you the flexibility of not being locked in for a year.

It's your call, but in this area, the shortest commute time is the best.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:04 PM

6,822 posts, read 11,553,688 times
Katie has given you good advice. I doubt USP Leavenworth is the type of place who will be understanding and say "Oh, that's okay" when you call them and say you can't get to work because of the weather. Rent a while and get a couple winters under your belt. Then you can make a more informed decision as your tolerance for winter driving.

Old 10-12-2010, 05:52 PM

6,822 posts, read 11,553,688 times
Dang I hate it when this happens. Original post is over 2 years old -- they've lived through winter by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City