Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 14,885 times

Advertisements

Why aren't these cases still being investigated? Was DNA used then? My brother, Danny Smallwood also "died" around this time and I can't help but wonder if there is a connection. His death was blamed on alcohol poisoning but only after 2 autopsies. He to was badly beaten and these injuries were attributed to a fall he had sustained in a drunken stouper. My brother was a badass and was usually the last one standing at any party or fight. Knowing that, I have a hard time believing that he drank to much, fell down, and went to sleep and died. He was not a friend of the police by any means, BY age 20 he had already been in a lot of trouble. To teach him a lesson he was handcuffed naked to a stop sign in downtown H'ville( I was told this by a family member and have a hard time believing it still). With all this in mind, I am not sure that the investigation was as thurough as it should have or could have been. And what about Chris Zollman? His body was found less than half a mile from where my brother was in the mid 80's, he was shot in the head and again no arrest.Clark county was a veritable hunting ground between 1974 and 1986 and I feel like today's technology could reveal many secrets. Could all of these mysteries be connected? Also, does anyone know what happened with the scattered remains that were found in the Clark State Forest appx. 7 years ago ?

Last edited by whodunnit; 09-20-2009 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 12:47 PM

2 posts, read 39,418 times
Its been awhile since I have been to this site, I didn't realize I got some responses.
During the time of the murders I had a relative that lived on Snow road in Henryville, I believe its called Lindenmayer Road now. Everybody told us kids to stay away from the neighbors house on the corner of Dieterlen and Lindenmayer(snow) road. If I remember right a doctor lived there and had twin boys. At the time for whatever reason someone at that home was suspected by my relatives, my memory may not be right but I think shortly after the murders the family moved north to Chicago ( I think, could be wrong). If you look on google earth at that corner you will see the house, and the next house on the right is where my relatives lived. Has anyone else heard anything like this?

Old 10-18-2009, 08:48 AM

104 posts, read 355,716 times
Can anyone track the twins using the internet? I read here an implication that perhaps one of them died, but what about the other one?

Old 10-18-2009, 09:06 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Interesting read on your thread guys. I grew up in Ft Worth TX and during the 70"s there area a series of murders here over about 5 years that have also never been solved. There were 3 girls who completely vanished and have never been found plus many others.

MissingTrio.Com - Dedicated to Three Fort Worth Girls Missing since 1974

These were the days of Henry Lee Lucas and You just hope that all though they have not paid their price in this world, hopefully there is a god who will make them pay for eternity.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:52 PM

7 posts, read 32,781 times
I have read about these murders before.
It is very hard to find any new info
online.

I checked cold case Indiana, nothing.

If anyone has saved forums info, would you send it to me?

Wou

Old 10-19-2009, 07:33 AM

104 posts, read 355,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Interesting read on your thread guys. I grew up in Ft Worth TX and during the 70"s there area a series of murders here over about 5 years that have also never been solved. There were 3 girls who completely vanished and have never been found plus many others.

MissingTrio.Com - Dedicated to Three Fort Worth Girls Missing since 1974

These were the days of Henry Lee Lucas and You just hope that all though they have not paid their price in this world, hopefully there is a god who will make them pay for eternity.
We need another thread on this one...how is it possible that the bodies of three girls were found in an oil well field and it was NOT these three?????

Old 11-09-2009, 04:41 PM

1 posts, read 9,614 times
Smile Death of sweeney child connected with other murdered boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky09 View Post
April, 28 1977 RICHARD LEE SWEENEY age 8
Found in loft of chicken barn covered in rags and clothes.
Chicken barn was used as Bluelick Auction Barn. Still stands today.
Hands were tied, sexually assaulted and strangled.
Location of barn; Bluelick Rd Henryville Ind on family property.

RS died around 11:00 am April, 28 1977
Some feel it was a family member or neighbor.
Sweeney's owned nearly all land in this area.
Grimes Family owned a portion of land near the barn I believe the Sweeney and Grimes Family still live at these locations.

June 10, 1977 JEFFERY ALLEN BURKETT age 15 or 16
Found on June 12, 1977 in Clark State Forest in and are called Flat Rock which is located in Washington County. Located 4 miles down Hwy 160, past Henryville. Found by 2 mountain bikers. Hands were tied together over head, sexually molested, beaten and dragged through woods. Rumored to have been tied to tree with barbed wire and surgical style incisions made on body.

Attended Henryville High School
Found on property owned by a member of the Sweeney Family.
The condition of body was said to be of unimaginable condition with surgical style incisions, tied with barbed wire and dragged for a long distance in woods.
A suspect was a member of a local Doctors family
They attended HHS also.“Jack and Mack” were thought to have been involved but no one knows who this is.
Charlestown State Police Post Handled the investigation.
JB has 2 brothers and 2 sisters

Sept 27, 1977 DONALD M ABELL AGE 19
Found Oct 9, 1977 in Near Clark State Forest in woods on Bartle Knob Rd, Borden Indiana near his home. Hands were bound, beaten and platform shoes were missing. Died of skull fracture.

Was missing for 2 weeks before found.
Found on property owned by the Deatrick Family which is now owned by Mac Spainhour.
Rumored Donnie was riding a bike at the time and his bike was never found.
A hammer was said to have been taken into custody from a suspect.
A rumored suspect was an older man last name Stargel. A Stargel kid attended HHS during he 1970's also.
Charlestown State Police Post handled the investigation.

A special Thanks to the person who sent me this info...You know who you are
other. If they lived close together in town. Given the settings and
events I am certain the two sets of murders are connected. I have
nothing as far as new information on this case, just instincts on
human nature and seeing things people don't normally see.

I drive by Henryville on 65 on the way to my relatives
several times a year. I always think of what had occurred there.

Old 11-10-2009, 05:45 AM

3 posts, read 13,982 times
I had never heard of these murders before now. How awful! I am so sorry! Sounds like a serial sicko to me. I am concerned that he was never caught, but also wondering how many other victims that could be out there. People like this just don't stop or decide not to do this anymore!

Does anyone know of any other kids in these age ranges from this area that went missing or "ran away"? Potential victims still out there? This needs to be opened as a cold case. Even if the perpetrator is dead, it should still be investigated as others may have been involved. As painful as this all is to dredge up again, it would bring true healing and closure to understand what happened and why the local police never found the suspects. Comments? Once again, this is so horrible it is hard to wrap your mind around!

Old 01-23-2010, 09:54 AM

3 posts, read 21,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiacsday View Post
Its been awhile since I have been to this site, I didn't realize I got some responses.
During the time of the murders I had a relative that lived on Snow road in Henryville, I believe its called Lindenmayer Road now. Everybody told us kids to stay away from the neighbors house on the corner of Dieterlen and Lindenmayer(snow) road. If I remember right a doctor lived there and had twin boys. At the time for whatever reason someone at that home was suspected by my relatives, my memory may not be right but I think shortly after the murders the family moved north to Chicago ( I think, could be wrong). If you look on google earth at that corner you will see the house, and the next house on the right is where my relatives lived. Has anyone else heard anything like this?

Hi, I grew up in this town. I still have quite a bit of family there. My parents actually still live off of Snow road. Snow road is still there, but it's not connected to Lindenmayer, though it's close. Are you sure you aren't mistaking the corner of Dieterlen and Lindenmayer, with the corner of Snow and Henryville Otisco rd, or Dieterlen and Hville Otisco, or Pfister road?

Also, I had several teachers that were teaching during the time this all happened. One of them, the gov/econ/spanish teacher told me she was the last to see one of the boys before he left that day. (Henryville High School was an open campus then and you could leave for lunch.) I've also rubbed shoulders with people that told me some rumors about the doctor, etc. I know there is a thread on this over at websleuths, but I've gotten no responses. It looks like some of the same people were posting over there too. Is there another forum where more info is posted on this? There's a lot of weird things about this town that I've seen or been told about.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 15,678 times
Your info is mostly incorrect, pinky09. Or whoever posted that.

Last edited by Sue62; 01-30-2010 at 01:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana