Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 07:18 PM

4,658 posts, read 3,276,406 times

Advertisements

Creo, thank you for sharing.

Definitely places I've never been to.

But perhaps some of the other readers will back up your shoutouts. Maybe some others will go check them out for themselves.

Thanks again for contributing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2023, 06:49 PM

3,065 posts, read 3,330,747 times
For downstate in Little Egypt have to nominate Carbondale. With pop of 25,000 largest city in southern IL. With City of New Orleans, Illini & Saluki offers 3 Amtrak trains/day to Chicago on Illinois Central/CN rails. With SIU offers state university. Not having interstate highway holds it back.

Nearby could nominate Mt Vernon. I-64 takes you from St Louis to Louisville. I-57 comes down from Chicago to Missouri. The interstates comingle for a few miles on the west side of town. From the southeast I-24 offers connection to Nashville & Chattanooga. The combination of the 3 interstates create heavy truck routes.

Old 10-11-2023, 06:55 PM

GWoodle, preach on!

But I will have to take your Mt. Vernon, and tweak it, and through out as my possible 4th:

Vernon HILLS... Easy route, via Milwaukee Avenue (Hwy 21). A mall, with nice strip malls around it, including the newish Mellody Farms.

A great assortment of restaurants and shops. Nice parks. Decent library. Very safe and clean. In between my top town, Libertyville, and Lincolnshire.

Old 10-14-2023, 08:59 PM

119 posts, read 87,381 times
I'd add Oregon, IL to the list. It kinda has a mini Galena feel plus it's surrounded by state parks & cool rock formations. Very scenic this time of year. I'll probably head over to Castle Rock next week to check out the fall scenery. Oregon's motto used to be, "Why go farther?"

Old 10-14-2023, 09:06 PM

Lol the guy that mentioned Rockford. Well i guess if you'd wanna see an alternate history of what Milwaukee would look like on river front instead of a lake front, Rockford would be worth checking out.

Old 10-14-2023, 09:23 PM

Kraftask, good to see you.

Thank you for sharing.

Hope all is well.

Old 10-15-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
Kraftask, good to see you.

Thank you for sharing.

Hope all is well.
I'm doing well. Another town i thought of that i like is Pecatonica, IL. They have a nice bike path & a little bike shop with a friendly owner & a quaint little downtown. I used to take my daughter trick or treating there every year because they were one of the few towns that would do it on the weekend before Halloween but this year a bunch of Karens complained so they moved it to the 31st. Now it looks like Rochelle, IL is the only town around here that still does trick or treat on the weekend.

Old 10-15-2023, 03:54 PM

Kraftask, you are a great father!

Old 10-15-2023, 05:42 PM

3,065 posts, read 3,330,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftask View Post
I'm doing well. Another town i thought of that i like is Pecatonica, IL. They have a nice bike path & a little bike shop with a friendly owner & a quaint little downtown. I used to take my daughter trick or treating there every year because they were one of the few towns that would do it on the weekend before Halloween but this year a bunch of Karens complained so they moved it to the 31st. Now it looks like Rochelle, IL is the only town around here that still does trick or treat on the weekend.
Sycamore Pumpkin Fest

https://sycamorepumpkinfestival.com/

Wednesday, October 25, 2023 thru Sunday October 29
This city-wide event features delicious food, three indoor arts & crafts shows, a historic house walk, two carnivals, the Pumpkin Run 10K, and other fun-filled events! Visitors simply cannot miss the showcase of hundreds of pumpkins creatively decorated by local youth and adults alike displayed on the courthouse lawn!

Visit the Sycamore Pumpkin Festival Committee's official website for more information.

Old 10-15-2023, 09:34 PM

50 posts, read 32,910 times
If you want something truly different, I recommend the Makanda Vulture Fest.

https://www.facebook.com/MakandaBoardwalkEvents/

I can promise you haven't been to a place like Makanda, or an event like Vulture Fest. Coming up this weekend Oct. 21 & 22.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois