Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 01:53 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times

Advertisements

Today we took a little tour of Camel back and the area. LOL......so there is one thread on the shopping areas in Tannersville, Bartonsville, and the Outlets.
Now, we are off and running........to the Top, Top, Top of the Camelback Mountains...............Whew.........You'll see what I mean.

These stores are along the route......Great to find out there is a Pizza place,
small grocery mart, hot dog place.........and.......The Barley Brew Pub.Which is not a bad pub, we have eaten there. Cute and charming. These stores, are about 1 1/2 mi. from lodging.

This was a surprise.......on the ride up you pass a fireworks store!!

The tubing area.........

Wow, we made it to the Chateau and Lodging area the Skiing Mountains are behind..........

Just the right half of the skiing area........

Along the way, behind the Chateau.........

The Lodge.........behind is the ski area

The Lifts at the Top, Top, Top of Camelback....in Camelback St. Park

The Views from the Top of Camelback, Road up this far closed in Winter.

This is from the other side .......see the lake?

This bench reserved for YOU..............Great Views!

Can you imagine living up here in the mist of winter.........yes, this was a home!! With those views, it might be worth it

Back down the mountain, watch for bends.........

Quite the Worst bend..........

As we leave the Camelback area.........we were so happy to have seen the last of the beautiful Fall Foliage. We didn't have our winter coats on yet, but some snow flurries are forcasted for this week.
Whooo Weeeee does that mean the snow machines will get to work?

Sorry folks for the extra pictures, doubles............I couldn't find a feature to delete them. Tried a few ways........Well, its worth seeing the mountain twice anyhow, dontcha' think........( girls from Brazil, dontcha' isn't a word.....LOL)

Last edited by Summering; 11-07-2007 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: extra pictures...remark....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 05:21 AM

Just a quick note for City Data fans.
There is a walking area up the top, top of Camelback. You can take a lunch and picnic there. The children are amazed by the views. ( closed in the winter )
The pictures of this State Park are at the "end" of the Camelback thread.
I'd of never even known it was there if my father hadn't taken me up to that summit.
Its awesome...........like the " Top of the World" feeling.

Old 11-08-2007, 09:12 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Thanks for the photos. I used to ski Camelback years ago and have taken my son to the water park a few times. I haven't been up to Big Pocono SP since my Dad took me there when I was a kid.

I'd like to go again but I don't like to drive mountain roads and that looks st-st-steep.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:58 AM

You know what.............Its not all that bad at all of a climb. From the lodge.
It is just a gentle climb, and not twisting........and then it levels off. Flatens out up there.
I stood on the picnic table, and felt like it was " the top of the World"
I have one other bautiful picture, but Kodak has decided as of 12 AM last night, to keep recopying my pictures. And I've had to go crazy clearing that out.
I'm still not done. They messed up my laptop too.........so I'm done with that companies disc etc...............I have like 40 copies of the pictures on my files !!!!!!
Your Welcome Gerania.........it was just so beautiful there yesterday.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:00 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,110 times
Thanks for posting. My in-laws live on the road pictured at the hairpin turn, and my dad sits in the fire tower atop Big Pocono during fire season.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:11 PM

Karen, Don't tell me its the house with the gorgeous horse sculpture in front with the stream. I took a picture of it...........( somewhere in my acting up picture file!)
We were saying what a kool job. To sit up there and see the beauty of it all. Whew, I mean that is high!! Hubby goes, "Is someone up there" and I said, I really don't think so......" an elevator sounds good
That is the turn of all turns.........Wonder how many accidents happen there a year?
All the unaware people..........

Old 11-08-2007, 06:11 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Thanks for the pictures! I've eaten at Barley Creek numerous times, as well as the Pocono Brewing Company not far away in Swiftwater. I eventually want to learn how to ski, and Camelback looks like it might be a nice place to head when I'm ready for a challenge after tackling the bunny slope here at Sno Mountain.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:18 PM

396 posts, read 1,698,395 times
Beautiful! It makes me miss PA.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:21 PM

755 posts, read 2,333,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I have one other bautiful picture, but Kodak has decided as of 12 AM last night, to keep recopying my pictures. And I've had to go crazy clearing that out.
I'm still not done. They messed up my laptop too.........so I'm done with that companies disc etc...............I have like 40 copies of the pictures on my files !!!!!!
Summering -
I use Picasa from Google. You can create online albums that are either public or private and post links to message forums rather than posting individual pics. Not hard to use at all. You just have to upload pics from your pc to their site. Hope this helps!

Old 11-08-2007, 08:19 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,937,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Karen, Don't tell me its the house with the gorgeous horse sculpture in front with the stream. I took a picture of it...........( somewhere in my acting up picture file!)
We were saying what a kool job. To sit up there and see the beauty of it all. Whew, I mean that is high!! Hubby goes, "Is someone up there" and I said, I really don't think so......" an elevator sounds good
That is the turn of all turns.........Wonder how many accidents happen there a year?
All the unaware people..........
No, they aren't that rich LOL They live about a mile back the road that goes back from the hairpin. They have a gorgeous house in the woods - and my FIL built it himself, came over here on weekends with my husband when he was 10-12 yrs old and they built it together. When my MIL and FIL complain about the traffic around Tannersville - you see why now - they have to drive through literally everything to get home there. I do not drive to visit them when Camelback day skiing is letting out, instead I try to sneak in after the skiers but before the commuter rush hour....

My dad absolutely loves the fire tower job. It is seasonal and he plans on doing it as long as he can see and climb the tower. That tower isn't even so high - you should see the one up by Pocono Raceway The job has gotten really hectic as the Poconos grow - all kinds of fires/smoke to be seen from up there. Dad also flies in the aerial reconnaissance plane during high fire season - he rides along and looks for fires (and I don't know how he doesn't get sick in that little plane).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania