Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 02:03 PM

7 posts, read 17,320 times

Advertisements

I'm from Hearne and I must say that other places in central Texas have a very different culture and feel from us.We have a very unique dialect to only be a town of 4,000,our Black population is 44% which is rare for towns in Texas considering the large hispanic pop. in the state,and we have southern chains like Dixie Cafe and even Piggly Wiggly until the name was changed about 10 years ago.Anytime I'm in places like austin,killeen,or san antonio people always seem intrigued by the way I speak and swear I'm not from Texas.This is sometimes flattering,but other times people say it in a completely offensive manner.I have hung out with friends from alabama in austin and had waaaayyyy more in common with them than austinites.Other than places like Beaumont and Texarkana who would obviously have southern influence,where would you say some of the most southern towns in the state are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 02:35 PM

178 posts, read 379,483 times
Houston and South East Texas has a different dialect than the rest of Texas. When i lived in SA ppl always knew I wasn't from around there

Old 04-18-2013, 03:44 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
I would hardly say that large black percentages in Texas are rare; especially in eastern Texas.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:58 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,268,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I would hardly say that large black percentages in Texas are rare; especially in eastern Texas.
I grew up in SE Tx (Beaumont-Pt Arthur-Orange) and this is definitely true for that area. My high school class was about 45% white, 45% black, and the rest was everything else, including me. Same thing for SW Louisiana I'm pretty sure.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Yep.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:47 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I grew up in SE Tx (Beaumont-Pt Arthur-Orange) and this is definitely true for that area. My high school class was about 45% white, 45% black, and the rest was everything else, including me. Same thing for SW Louisiana I'm pretty sure.
Yep, in Port Arthur my class was 70% Black, 15% Hispanic & 10% Asian and then everyone else. I can count on my hand the number of whites that went to my school.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:27 PM

7 posts, read 17,320 times
Quote:
I'm sorry,I meant majority Black which is rare and I said excluding cities very close to the ark or lousiana border(beaumont/port arthur/etc...)As far as towns with at least a 1000 people there aren't that many.(Hearne,Hempstead,Calvert,Barret,Ames,San Augustine,Beaumont,Port Arthur,Missouri City and Lancaster are some of the only ones).That's only one of the aspects I named.I mean the way people talk,cook and interact.I just want to know where else in Texas I can come and expect the same type of cooking I grew up on in Hearne.Nothing stays the same forever and my town is not as lively as it was when I was young.Small towns are on their last rope in America and I just want to find a little bit of home home elsewhere if I can.You know...juke junt blues playing on a friday night with a nice lil cup of brown liquor.I'm being nostalgic and I'm only 27.Old folks raised me.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:43 PM

816 posts, read 1,947,306 times
I don't know what kind of dialect in Hearne has (Must be part of East Texas?) despite going through there several times.

When I worked at the store in Tyler, I've had several people from smaller towns in East Texas ask if I grew up in Tyler or East Texas which is weird because I grew up in East Texas. I don't think I have much southern accent even when I went to the Northeast, people didn't even notice if I'm not from there. I was expecting them to say something if I was from the South or something.

Heck, I have a hard time understanding East Texas or Southern accent and I'm from there!

Anyways, you asked "Top 5 most southern towns or cities? (excluding border towns)". That is subjective. I would have to say any small towns in deep East Texas or Southeast Texas being the most southern.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:21 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,140,931 times
Most southern non border Texas towns:

1.) Marshall

2.) Beaumont

3.) Hunstville

4.) Lufkin

5.) Bryan

Ive always wanted to make the distinction that there seems to be two very different kinds of "Central Texas"...One seems to be the Central Texas of Bryan, Hearne, Marlin, Giddings, Brenham, Waco etc. And then there seems to be the Central Texas of Austin, Killeen, San Antonio, Fredricksburg etc. To me, it seems that the Austin, San Antonio, Killeen portions of Central Texas feel decidedly less southern, and more hybridized and multicultural than the rest of central Texas and the further you get away from the Brazos Valley area, the less noticeably southern it gets.

Last edited by soletaire; 04-19-2013 at 01:50 PM..

Old 04-19-2013, 01:39 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times
Killeen, I think, is a bit of an anomaly, though. The military presence pushes the black population to 30%+, which isn't at all common for places west of 35. It's not Waco or Cameron, but it's still different from Marble Falls and Kerrville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas