Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 03:04 PM

61 posts, read 301,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
HELLO CALIFORNIA CARL:

All I have heard about Al Gore is that we have a huge problem with GLOBAL WARMING, but I do not know the details, I did not see his movie.
So could you please elaborate on what you mean, I am sure that it will be helpful to a lot of us.
Thanks a bunch!
COUNTRYLV22
I think it's good to remember a couple of things about the subject of global warming:
1. It is a theory of "popular" science, right up there with the "population crisis" of the 1970's, the world-wide famine scare of the 1960's, and the fear of a new ice age at the beginning of the 20th century.
2. Our planet does go through warming and cooling phases - it has done so for as long as it has been in existance. Just because we can monitor temperature fluctuations better now than we ever have in the past, does not mean that we should be looking at temperature stability as an indicator that life on Earth is OK.
3. While a rise in the planet's temperature can (and will) result in some catastophic incidences, we must remember that this is a NATURAL turn of events, just like when rivers change their course; people build homes near waterways, the waterways do not remain stable, and people end up losing their homes.
4. We really don't have a lasting effect on planet Earth. Do we make air dirty and ugly? Yes. Do we make water unsafe? yes. But all this is in relation to US and to OUR CONVENIENCE. The planet itself is perfectly able to handle anything man, in his smallnes, can dish out.
5. LAST POINT!!!! Scientific studies are funded by political activists groups who pay scientists to do research...as long as the results turn out the way that the activists want. The scientists get to conduct their own research on some one else's dime, the "published" results are massaged to reflect the activits' point of view, the public buys into faulty data, and we suddenly have a global crisis.
I'm not saying it's okay to be careless with our world - it's too beautiful and precious to uglfy. But we are giving mankind way too much credit...and losing sight of the point that the planet we live on is an active, changing, unemotional, often brutal place that doesn't have a conscience. It does what it wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 06:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,790 times
Well... I have lived in Idaho my entired life. I grew up in the northcentral part of the state.. but to anyone else anything north of boise is "north Idaho" I live in boise now. I haven't lived in my hometown for four years or so. I do miss it horribly mostly cause of my family but also cause of the clean air and the beautiful country side it takes me back to my roots. My fiance likes it there too and he didnt grow up there. we plan on going up there in about three years. its quite you know everyone and if you want to go get lost somewhere it would only take about 20 min to get there and get lost. the forest is min. away. I miss it.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:48 PM

9,431 posts, read 11,188,532 times
I agree with kukla1. IMO algore is just a snake oil salesman who is using the time honored tactic of panicking people into foolish and thoughtless behavior, like a herd of buffalo sent over a cliff for some easy eating.
I believe clean water will be far more an issue in the coming years. I don't know how the planet can continue to support a waste-creating population of 6.5 billion and growing fast.
Warmer weather and more CO2 just means that plants will grow faster and bigger. Either 10 times or 100 times more people die of cold weather effects than hot weather effects each year.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:03 PM

61 posts, read 301,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
I agree with kukla1. IMO algore is just a snake oil salesman who is using the time honored tactic of panicking people into foolish and thoughtless behavior, like a herd of buffalo sent over a cliff for some easy eating.
I believe clean water will be far more an issue in the coming years. I don't know how the planet can continue to support a waste-creating population of 6.5 billion and growing fast.
Warmer weather and more CO2 just means that plants will grow faster and bigger. Either 10 times or 100 times more people die of cold weather effects than hot weather effects each year.
You should read Michael Creighton's book "State of Fear." He took a lot of heat from environmentalists (and Algore) after this was published. My point #5 above is discussed in-depth in the book, and lest we forget, Creighton has several doctorate degrees in the sciences...and Mr. Gore has - how many? Do we hear crickets?

Old 03-27-2007, 12:08 AM

9 posts, read 31,905 times
Hi Torre
Thanks for your imput to my questions you have made me feel a bite better. I guess I just need to come out and check the area out. Do you have any suggestions in areas. I am a single mom of two girls ages 11 & 13 and of corse would lie a safe area and a good school my little one hass attention defict disorder (ADD) so I needs a school with good special resources. I was looking at Nampa, Meridian, Middleton or Bosie. I want a house where your not far away from neighbors but your not on top of them??? Thanks for your help and if there is anyone else out there that has any suggestions I'm alllllllll ears.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:34 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,214,332 times
You are so welcome. I was mortified that other people had given you such a bad impression. I really believe it's what you make of it, whenever you move. There are plenty of friendly people to go around and you will meet them! It took my husband and I a good year or so to feel like we had finally settled in. It's quite an adjustment to meet new people and start you're life all over, but in time you will make friends and your days will fill with activities and you will be glad you made a change.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:48 AM

126 posts, read 483,455 times
If you don't like Al Gore, just do a tiny bit of your own research. Just about the only REAL scientists on the planet (yes, there are countries outside of this one who have the good sense to recognize global warmnig for what it is)who deny global warming were hired by this administration with the SOLE PURPOSE of convincing the American public that global warming is a myth.

They counted on so many Americans being too selfish to be willing to take a hard look at their own personal contribution to the problem, they counted on many Americans being too lazy to do their own research, and they counted on many Americans being willing to believe anybody who would tell them what they wanted to hear.

Anyone who does not believe that we are having a direct and negative impact on this planet has their head in the sand.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:18 PM

5 posts, read 19,700 times
Smile Moved to CDA a year ago...and absolutely love it!!

Wow...after that last post, you would think Idaho is Hell on Earth.

I have to dispel that myth.
I moved to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho a year ago.
Visited North Idaho numerous times before I bought.

I would have to say that Coeur d'Alene is the best spot to move to in Idaho. I have lived here for a year now and absolutely love it.

The winters are mild and the Spring, Summer, & Autumn seasons are all unique and the climate is great.

Plus, Coeur d'Alene has great restaurants and lots of fun activities that you can do. It has great lakes surrounding the area that are great for boating, waterskiing, world-class fishing, and all types of water sports and activities.

In the winter you can choose from 3 different Ski Resorts that are all within a 1 hour drive from CDA.

Plus, Spokane (and a major airport) is only 30 minutes away.

Come visit in the Spring or Summer and you won't want to leave.

Moderator cut: manual signature

Old 05-03-2007, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 12,162 times
Moved to Coeur d' Alene from Cambridge, Massachusetts about 4 years ago. I absolutely love it here and don't see myself ever going back to Boston again!

Old 05-03-2007, 08:40 AM

610 posts, read 3,321,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHI44 View Post
wow such nice things said about idaho... hmmmmm I guess people only see what they want to... Of course if you moved here some 20 odd years ago it would then seem like a paradise...... No, No really Im sure they all see it like that..... It is your paradise if you like,
very dirty air...... can remind you of Los Angelas.......
lots of bible thumping mormans to holy for God himself at least till they vacation in Nevada, gambling, drinking, smoking, visiting brothels......
Tons I mean just Tons of mexicans they are everywhere..... yeah you would not think that of idaho would you. They are here and will be taking over soon. Moving from caldwell through nampa and on their way to boise.... ohh the end is near...... But hey it can remind you soon of east L.A.....
They dont do snow removal here...... so if you like crashing then its for you
They do, do sugar beets here......... so if you like the smell of a sugar beet processing plant..... ohhh it stinks ..... its for you
If you like to hunt....... dont think your gonna hunt on private land..... they dont do that here.... only wma for you. and guess what? nothing on them!!!! ok ok a few planted pheasants wooohooo!!!!! oh whats that you say? your gonna hunt the river? or rivers? well good luck to you. the snake runs very fast and high and can change from hour to hour depending on how much water is released from the power dams. oh there are ducks on it from time to time, but who wants to risk death and loosing all your gear to get them...... NO MARSHES IN IDAHO........ so if your from a state with large freshwater marshes dont think your gonna get that here.....
do you have tax on food ????
they do here and are in the process of raising it to twice what it is now.....
ok ok let get down to it.......
the roads here are the worst you will ever see...... it takes forever to go anywhere here.......
so if you like to drive around stopping and turning and just driving ..... you will love it!!!!!
I could go on and on and on, but I have better things to do then think about idaho. I am just glad I dont live there anymore.
ok, ok I know what your thinking. Your saying this person hates idaho.... I dont hate it. Dont like it either. Im sure there are some good things about idaho. I just cant see them. But maybe im only seeing what I want to.too?
This is the most accurate post I've seen regarding the Idaho we moved to and lived in for a year. I had visited all over the state and once regarded it as a great place to go camping - but after living there - for all of the reasons IHI states ... and many more - I detest the idea of even flying over the state - let alone, driving through it.
And it was also correct to state that many people love it. I guess one man's mile-high wall of blowing, fertilizer-poisoned dirt is another man's paradise.
And anything north of Sun Valley is meant for great visiting and camping - not for living ... with the agreed possible exception of Couer d'Alene ... which is just too dang close to Spokane to make up for how close to wonderful Montana it is.
Love Ya, Idahoans. Cheer up - you could be in Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho