Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:23 AM

106 posts, read 583,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygal View Post
Do u like it there? Was it what u expected? What area did u end up in, and are u going to stay? What are the pros and cons of living there?
Oh and by the way, I'm in Connecticut now... I think that pretty much says it all as far as how I feel. While Idaho is a nice state, if I ever went back for any reason, it would be to the Boise area. I grew up in E. Idaho and the winters are just too harsh there--too long and too windy. I decided not to return because I like a more urban environment. I don't like the inner city but like most people I like living on the outskirts in suburbia. I like the seasons which is why I'm in the north still.

I've lived all over the country and I think the northeast has the most to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 10:39 AM

7 posts, read 42,350 times
Smile Moving to Idaho???

I am planning on looking at a house for sale in Rupert... what can anyone tell me about Rupert? I have 2 girls and would also like to know anything and everything about the schools there.
My husband will be traveling for his work so he will be home off and on but I will need to find a job there in the area... what services are available for job hunting?
I live in Utah currently and am not LDS and we have been shunned here due to our non-involvement in the church. Kids in the neighborhood were not allowed to play with my kids because we were not in the LDS church. I believe that not all people who do not go to church are bad people... it's all in what you believe in and what type of person you are. We are a family that is willing to help others and then have a very hard time accepting help from others. We have good values and feel as if we are good people, but my old neighbors must not see that, they only see that we were not going to church with them.
We race horses (thoroughbreds) and travel to ID, WY, NV, etc to race since UT does not have paramutual wagering (gambling). So we thought that if we were in ID it would be a great thing for our family hobby. The house we are looking at has quite a few acres so that we will have PLENTY of space for our horses.
We have ALOT to move, we are thinking about a Semi...everything is already packed but between the house stuff, horse stuff, motorhome, snowmobiles, boat, horse trailer (40 foot), etc... we have ALOT to move. Not sure if we are going to "hillbilly it" or find a mover...
We are looking for somewhere that is behind in the times... we definately want out of the city. We had horse property prior but the developers started buying every piece of ground that they could possibly buy and develop it into subdivisions. A 1/3 acre lot on my old property sold for $300K (just for the lot)...CRAZY .
Anyway, any help with as much info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 01-11-2007, 05:53 PM

11 posts, read 58,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by casteins View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and have been reading some of the posts. My family and I are originally from San Diego and just recently moved to Las Vegas and HATE it here! I have been researching the Boise area and talking to people who have lived there and have heard nothing but good things about the area. Can anyone tell us about their experiences in Idaho? I know there is good and bad everywhere but what is the overall feeling in Idaho. Here in Vegas it is weird!! I just can't put my finger on it. I am definately looking at other places to love. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Hi casteins,
Wow. I totally agree about Vegas. Horrible place to live. Talk about being treated bad. No one there is decent or nice. I hated it so bad. Did you move to Idaho yet? We are planning to be there this Spring, the Salmon area. We also are looking for ideas, advice. Hope you made it there. Write back.

Old 01-30-2007, 08:47 AM

8 posts, read 78,133 times
Smile retirement areas in Idaho

We moved to McCammon 2 years ago from LV and I'd reccomend it for retirement to a lot of people. This area has very clean air and the best ground water I've tasted. Pocatello (20 min away) can have some pretty bad air days though in the winter.
This area has beautiful mountains, 4 seasons, MILD winters and your only 2 hrs from Salt Lake. (I'm not Mormon and neither are my closest neighbors who are all new to the area too). There are lots of nice new stores opening in Pocatello. You can grocery shop in nice clean supermarkets. In the summer we have a farmers market downtown. There are so many outdoor activities to do here. Theres a huge new performing arts building in pokey too... very big city looking...first class.
This area seems to be drawing retirees who are building "dream homes and mini ranches". Cost of living is very low and so is crime. This perticular area does not have the meth problems of other places. There are some bad areas around Pocatello that have that but out here it's mostly low income Mormon farmers, not meth people.
The taxes out in the county areas are very low. Things like registering your car are so cheap!! I was paying $1200 a yr for my car in LV....It's $65 a yr for the same car. My auto insurance also was cut in HALF here. We have a 3900 sf home and my power bill is always under $100. We heat w/ propane (go threw about 2 tanks each winter) and for fun burn a wood stove a few times a week.
There are wild turkeys all over this area. I've hiked the nearby canyons and have seen moose, mule deer and so many birds, hawks and eagles. We have 2 small yorkies and were worried about wild animals but I've not seen anything dangerous in 2 years so far. So many trails to horseback and ATV on.
If you love privacy and wide open spaces....you might want to consider this area. Most everyone I talk to who has recently moved here has said how much they love it and would never go back to where they came from.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:21 PM

3 posts, read 12,869 times
Default Do you think the site will influence people's health

I am pretty concerned about health. Will the site influence people's health?

bailing

Old 03-13-2007, 12:00 AM

9 posts, read 31,900 times
Default Makes me not want to move to ID.

With most that has benn said about ID. from the bad air to the unfriendly people to the you can get fired on the spot if they want to give your job to a local seems to make ID. a place where I have toTRIPLE think about now.I surley don't want myself and my 2 young daughter to be booed or spat at to get out of town just because we are from CA despite what most pepole think there are good people that come from this state. I just want a more peaceful and better life for my girls is that too much to ask for. I can't afford to make a mistake and move there and then have the prblems that from what is said on this site will most likely happen. So if anybody has suggestions for me I'm all ears.
Thanks for reading.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:35 AM

1,378 posts, read 6,210,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobaygal View Post
With most that has benn said about ID. from the bad air to the unfriendly people to the you can get fired on the spot if they want to give your job to a local seems to make ID. a place where I have toTRIPLE think about now.I surley don't want myself and my 2 young daughter to be booed or spat at to get out of town just because we are from CA despite what most pepole think there are good people that come from this state. I just want a more peaceful and better life for my girls is that too much to ask for. I can't afford to make a mistake and move there and then have the prblems that from what is said on this site will most likely happen. So if anybody has suggestions for me I'm all ears.
Thanks for reading.
Sobaygal, if you talk to most people they will tell you Boise is a great to live. They did a survey of people last year asking them how they liked living in Boise and over 95% said they enjoyed living there and felt they had a better quality of life. Your are not going to be booed or spat on. I am from California and I have never gotten booed or spat on. The people here have been the nicest ever. This is a free country and you have every right to move wherever you want to. What locals forget is that people moving into this area bring money into the community, which can further benefit them. It's done wonders for people's property value and it's also created jobs. Like any place there are jerks out there, but don't let them ruin your dreams, be proud of where you're from. Some people are just ignorant and that's how it is. Idaho is an At Will state, meaning yes, employers can fire you without any reason. You'll be suprised to know that most states are At Will states.

As far as the air quality, last year was a bad year for us, it's not always like that. The fires were terrible in Idaho, Washington and Oregon which helped make our air quality terrible. But that is not the norm. We do get inversions in the winter. That is when cold air gets trapped below hot air and it creates a smog affect. Last year we only had a couple of days of it. It happens around December/January. This year we haven't had any of it. Some years it's lasted a week or two, but it is not so unbearable that you can't live here.

I hope this clears some things up for you. Boise really is a great place to live.

Torrie

Old 03-24-2007, 09:30 AM

21 posts, read 131,218 times
Default Heartbroken

I lived in Boise for 30 years, and moved in 2004. Every day I regret my decision to leave, but I could no longer stand the weather in Boise.
Boise summers last from late May through September. During that time, you can expect no precipitation of any kind. Mid June through the last week in August or early September, the high temperatures will be consistently over 90 degrees and over 100 for a few consecutive days. Winters present there own problems, namely inversions where the cold air becomes trapped in the low-lying valleys (like Boise) where pollutants are trapped. It can be cold, grey and choked with pollutants for weeks at a time. Spring and fall are lovely times of the year, but all too short - April-May for spring, October-November for fall. If Boise suddenly had a climatic change, I'd move back in a New York minute! But as it now stands....

Old 03-24-2007, 11:22 AM

140 posts, read 491,286 times
If Al Gore is right, you might be moving back soon. Although I hope he is'nt.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:58 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,195,604 times
HELLO CALIFORNIA CARL:

All I have heard about Al Gore is that we have a huge problem with GLOBAL WARMING, but I do not know the details, I did not see his movie.
So could you please elaborate on what you mean, I am sure that it will be helpful to a lot of us.
Thanks a bunch!
COUNTRYLV22
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho