Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 02:42 PM

68,343 posts, read 54,470,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Burdell I am sorry I missed your post about the moving companies. Thanks for the information! I swear if my husband wants us to move again I want to hire it done. Especially since now half my furniture is covered in Mosaics. LOL LOL LOL 10 moves in 20 years has made me a little CRAZYYYYYYYYYYYYY.

As far as the crime reported on the news. You are right they will blow things up and jump on anything that will grab your attention.
Chris

I've gotten a few moving quotes and have been surprised that it actually seems to be a better deal to hire it done than to rent a one way truck and do it myself. Of course you have to find a mover you're comfortable with and that's a whole 'nother thread or two.

As far as crime it seems that there are pockets of it in every state and gang activity is certainly a concern but.......................someone had mentioned some stabbings in Boise, when I checked the news it was young men at a bar and apparently involved a woman. Hormones and alcohol has always been a bad combination, I wish there was an esy way of filtering that type of crime from the stats because it's something I don't consider an issue for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2006, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,156 times
Default Home sweet Home

Yup been here for three generations, wow what changes. I Have seen the increase of almost twice as many people all wanting the same thing. Peace and prosparity. All it has caused is over priced housing and poorer society. Idaho's housing has increased so much, it is making the out of state people and realitors alot of money. There is 23,000 realitors in Idaho now and just over a million people who most work for the state or federal goverment only one third of Idaho pays all the income Taxes in this state. The average wage is still under 8 dollars an hour and guess what, the average home is well over 100,000 thousand dollars that has been driven up by out of staters. And we still have the right to work bill. For you out of staters this means that at any moment for any reason you can be fired for no reason and there is no recourse. We have a huge Mexican population that is getting payed in cash and clearing more money a month then most micron employee's and there getting free medical care and schooling and social services. So if you see someone driving down the street with a deer or elk in the back of a truck. Just remember that most people who have lived here for there entire lives might be showing it off but he is excited that he can feed his family a high protien meat he hasn't been able to affored them the rest of the year.

Old 08-20-2006, 10:06 PM

47 posts, read 202,791 times
I believe the actual number of "Realtors" is closer to 10,000. And also, the actual hispanic population stands at just over 11%

Old 08-20-2006, 10:27 PM

318 posts, read 1,317,830 times
Hi,

Maybe if CA residents knew what ID residents pay for homes we wouldn't be paying to much. Compared to CA prices the homes seem cheap. But what is the ID resident paying for a home in the Boise area for a home? I plan to ask for comps from the last two years.

Anybody know what their neighbors are paying for homes?

Izzy

Old 08-23-2006, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,154 times
Default It's Great

We moved from Southern Cal to Idaho Falls 8 months ago. It is SO not like california, so yes it was what we expected and It is great. The people seem genuine and friendly and contrary to what many people think, there is tremendous opportunity here, especially for entrepreneurs like myslef.

It's not for everyone tho. The speed limits average 30 (it's hard to drive those 25mph streets!) and the winters can be intimidating for those who aren't used to it, or like it. We happen to like the snow, and cold and change of seasons.

I hope this info helps even tho it's general. If I can be of more help/answer more questions, just ask (I'm still sorta new tho, so I may not be able to answer everything, but I'll try).

Phil

Old 08-23-2006, 05:19 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,283,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmedia View Post
It's not for everyone tho. The speed limits average 30 (it's hard to drive those 25mph streets!) and the winters can be intimidating for those who aren't used to it, or like it. We happen to like the snow, and cold and change of seasons.

Phil
That's where cruise control comes in handy Myself and others I know love using it on both 25th and 17th.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:58 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,528,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Kid View Post
. We have a huge Mexican population that is getting payed in cash and clearing more money a month then most micron employee's and there getting free medical care and schooling and social services. So if you see someone driving down the street with a deer or elk in the back of a truck. Just remember that most people who have lived here for there entire lives might be showing it off but he is excited that he can feed his family a high protien meat he hasn't been able to affored them the rest of the year.

The deer in the back of truck and feeding his family was good

We have the financial strain of different cultures coming here too(Minneosota) and getting paid cash and sending it back to their homeland. Really hurting people who are paying citizens.
I think it is becoming a financial burden for alot of states.

Old 08-28-2006, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,529 times
My boyfriend and I moved to Malad just 3 short weeks ago. We bought a house on 50 acres but commute daily to Ogden for both work and school. So far we have no regrets. I am a bit concerned about how it will be in the winter though. Malad seems like a great place to raise a family. So far we have adopted 2 black labs and 2 kittens. We love walking next door and feeding the horses that are so tame they come to you when they are called. Our neighbors have welcomed us with open arms and have offered to help us in anyway possible.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:14 PM

28 posts, read 242,288 times
We moved to Idaho 11 years ago. We have lived in Challis, Rigby and Idaho Falls. Although we really do like it here, it has been somewhat hard to make a living. Wages are laughably low unless you work at the INL or are a doctor and housing costs are rising fast.

Also, the schools here are not the best. Money for schools is a major issue. They say that Idaho kids that leave the state to go to college are having to take remedial courses to catch up to college standards and to kids from other states.

Sad to say, we are looking to follow the money now, and to find better funded schools.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:06 AM

8 posts, read 24,203 times
Default more info on Idaho

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and have been reading some of the posts. My family and I are originally from San Diego and just recently moved to Las Vegas and HATE it here! I have been researching the Boise area and talking to people who have lived there and have heard nothing but good things about the area. Can anyone tell us about their experiences in Idaho? I know there is good and bad everywhere but what is the overall feeling in Idaho. Here in Vegas it is weird!! I just can't put my finger on it. I am definately looking at other places to love. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho