Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 03:00 PM

102 posts, read 338,204 times

Advertisements

So, we have been going back and forth on where to move since last year (and saving up the whole time knowing we definitely were moving somewhere). So after some market research, and research on the area schools and so on, we have decided that CdA sounds like the best match for us.

I couldn't be more excited. Since we have decided to go there I have been looking at the relocation packet I received from the chamber of commerce (which was quite impressive in volume, they sent me a whole bunch of great stuff!).

So now we are in the process of trying to find a place to live, and a shop to rent (I would love a PM from any real estate agents up there that may know anything...I know most of the commercial properties up there are going for sale, not rent, but if you know of any for rent I would love to know about them! )

I just have to say, I have already gotten a chance to know some people up there and talk to them daily on the phone, we have already had invites to peoples homes for the holidays since we don't have any family up there...I am just overwhelmed by the kindness and acceptance I have been feeling. I am really excited and looking forward to this new adventure!!! I know I am going to have some adjusting to do in terms of the different lifestyle, but I am hungry for it and can't wait!!! (I am also thankful knowing I can get my plates switched out in CdA asap!! haha).

Also- I am really appreciative of all of you that have answered questions I have posted on here!!! Thank you again for your help and feedback over the last few months!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 04:39 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,443,264 times
Congrats!! I think CdA is one of the coolest towns I've ever been too overall... I think you will love it there. Good job escaping Kali.. Im the envy of my friends who are stuck there still...
I've almost been here long enough to start complaining about all the dang Californians moving here..Ha!!! Keep that under your hat as much as you can..

Old 03-30-2010, 05:06 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,881,340 times
A good choice. Such a pretty area, and near some great backcountry areas.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:17 PM

53 posts, read 133,900 times
Congrats on your decision! I remember your recent thread and it sounds to me like you have really taken the time to research and think this big decision out completely. Quality and good service will always win out over lesser competition, so I wish you the best.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:08 PM

Thank you all, I think I have researched this all as much as possible, I am still nervous about it, but I feel good about it.
Trace- several of my friends are already jealous that we are getting out, and even moreso that we are going to CdA! lol (I was surprised to find that many of my friends have been there and have family there!)
We have a checklist of things to do and not to to keep that "california" flag hidden...i.e. I won't go to a food store and ask what aisle their vodka is on....I will be getting my plates changed....I won't be bringing up politics, at all....and many other things I have learned through my research!! hahaha

We have May 1st as our move date, it is right around the corner, I am so excited, I wish I could go now!!!

Old 03-30-2010, 10:29 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,693,281 times
Gonzo took the words right out of my mouth--good for you, doing so much research! It really pays off. And now the excitement begins! Best of luck finding a place. I'd suggest renting over the summer while you look for your perfect spot, and then put in an offer in the fall when the market traditionally slows down, or even wait for next spring. April will fly by--start putting things in boxes right now! And make sure you pack and mark a few boxes with things you'll need during the first week, so you don't have to unpack everything at once.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:52 AM

Wow, May 1st?... Better start packing now! CFF has some good advice too... Keep in mind the spring and summer has alot of out of town folks around, so you might run into OTHER Californians..LOL... So if you catch a not so friendly, likely they arent from CdA...
Get some Carhartt gear and wear it now so it doesnt look new, ditch those plates ASAP, and you'll fit right in.!!

Old 04-02-2010, 09:54 PM

Haha you're all awesome and have me laughing over here (Get some Carhartt gear and wear it now so it doesnt look new LMAO!!)

I am really excited and really nervous! This long wait has allowed us plenty of time to build up anticipation and all the "what if's".

We have a majority of our stuff packed up, only a bit left, I put in an application with resort property management, and am hoping to hear back soon, and have picked out a couple of the condos we really like (Pheasant Run, and the Promenade in Post Falls).

That is excellent advice on the house buying tips, I definitely appreciate it!! I am definitely going to make a mental note on that!!!

We are definitely looking at renting for the first year, we want to get to know the area before we buy so we have a really good feel for where we want to live, we also need to make sure the business will work out there...It is really nervewracking! So far with the marketing I have been doing we have received a great response, however, we are causing quite a stir in the shops up there apparently, they are not happy about us moving up there and are not being very nice about it! It makes it a bit stressful moving into that sort of business environment, not knowing what to expect and being told to stay put...lol

So...we will just keep praying and hope that this all works out for us!! To date, this will be the scariest thing we have ever done!!!

....oh, that and driving in snow...I wonder if it is too soon to sign up for those special winter driving lessons they offer up there hahaha

Old 04-02-2010, 10:11 PM

265 posts, read 687,363 times
Great and good luck to you. Wish I were in your shoes. The wife and I just went through Maryland(very expensive),Virginia(not impressed)Tennessee(backwater),Georgia(traffic,nic e,great hsng prcs,)Georgia is ahead but far behind Idaho. Eat a pomegranate and enjoy Idaho for me until I can get there.jim(so envious)

Old 04-03-2010, 03:00 AM

KS, MUCH to be nervous about.... I think that will go away soon though.. Embrace Idaho, and what it is.... Leave Kali in the rear view mirror and dont look back. If your like me you will wake up everyday amazed you are lucky enough to be here....

BTW get some studded tires for the winter and call it a day.... Its really not that big a deal..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho