Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 10:37 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,020,231 times

Advertisements

Greetings to all;

I am writing this on Saturday, the 13th, hoping that I will have an internet connection by Monday, as promised, so I can send it off. But, I’ve been promised my internet three different dates now and yet has Verizon managed to complete the issue. In short, they suck. No land line, no internet…I feel like a pioneer. The cell phone works well so I will give them some credit for that.

Got here on Saturday, the 6th…after a semi-eventless trip. The Subaru began heating up inexplicably and we had to limp in for about 400 miles, adding coolant as we went. Turns out it was a crack in the radiator top…$400. Oh, well. Could have been worse. The Penski ran like a charm, even through a mini-blizzard (not to be confused with Eddie Izzard) in Salt Lake City .

I am still unpacking but the place feels like ‘home’ now and the rest of the crap will be unpacked at leisure. Don’t know what I would have done without friends to haul, move, cook ands clean, especially those guys who worked their butts off first loading the truck in Chino Valley and then UNloaded the 26’ truck here in Spirit Lake (with Paul recovering from a nasty bout of stomach flu). But everything went smoothly. *Without friend Walton I don’t know if we would ever have gotten my John Deere lawn tractor up into the Penski…he is an engineering genius!!

Anyway, DirecTV was up and running on Monday, the 8th…I am loving the DVR, which I did not have before. Now I can record and watch the late shows which I always missed before. Prime time begins at 8:00 pm here, instead of 7:00 , and since I am an early-to-bed-early-to-riser I would miss a lot of my favorites if not for my DVR.

About a block from my house is nothing but forest…State and National…endless acres of it. So the dogs and I have gone out every day. They seem to enjoy a nice snack of fresh deer and elk scat on our way. It’s a true feast for them…blech. As for myself, I have made a friend of the single, retired lady at the end of the street, named Micah, and we went to the Kootenai County Home & Garden Show this morning where I picked up info on a wood stove and some other possible stuff I need or want. I also bought a new dining table at a store in Coeur d’Alene but it will not arrive until about May 1st due to a back order…the sale was too good to pass up and I can eat on a card table until then.

Let’s see…what else? Nothing really…just day-to-day living and adjusting. It’s been sunny and clear one day, snowy and overcast the next. Today it is a little of each. Tomorrow I will do some more unpacking and stay home. Monday the Tree Men are coming to put in my three evergreens (two blue spruce and one Frasier fir)…they are 12’/13’ trees, too much for me to plant on my own. Also the local Trash Can Man is set to arrive with said container and, with any luck at all, the Verizon eejits will hook up my phone and internet line from up on the street corner (I am not holding my breath but I am doing the Phone & Internet Arrival Dance).

All for now!
Moose-Woman

PS…it is now Monday evening, 5:30 pm , and I still have no phone, no internet. I have no idea when I will get this sent off to everyone. Moose-Woman is NOT a happy camper right now…just left a wee, semi-angry message at the Verizon engineer’s office. Grrrrrr…

On a better note, my trees arrived and are in! Whoo-hoo!!

P.P.S Internet and Phone finally on March 18th...a belated Saint Paddy's day gift, maybe?? It's all good!!

Attached Thumbnails
I Made It!!!-my-house.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 11:29 AM

53 posts, read 133,837 times
Congrats on the successful move! I was wondering when you would check in with an update, but for some strange reason hadn't even considered Verizon's contribution to the problem. Sounds like you made it with only minimal headaches, to be expected I suppose. I am hoping you will have a few more photos of the area to share as you get out and explore.

I should be making my way through the area around April 30th or May 1st if all goes according to schedule!

Welcome Home!

Old 03-22-2010, 01:33 PM

57 posts, read 175,473 times
Congrats on your beautiful new "home." I'm new to the forum here. Hubby and I are seriously looking to move to Idaho and I've begun reading all the posts of lucky folks who have made the move.

I love the comment about the deer and moose scat, and had to laugh because my dogs go out in the yard here and munch down rabbit raisins. They will probably think they died and went to heaven if they come upon deer and moose droppings.

Hubby and I are planning a trip to Idaho the end of April to check out a number of towns, and I can hardly wait!

Old 03-22-2010, 07:18 PM

7,382 posts, read 12,673,025 times
Hey, Moose-Woman! Adversity makes us stronger! Congrats on having arrived after your long journey, and having emerged on the other side of Verizon frustration! We've been awaiting your arrival message, and now I'm going to toast you in Idaho tater juice!
So are you going to be "in the woods, surrounded by terriers," or something else? Glad your dogs are happy with all the abundant new snacks (yuck). Your new trees are beautiful, good idea to have them planted. All the best wishes for your new life in Spirit Lake!

Old 03-23-2010, 07:39 PM

820 posts, read 1,740,155 times
congrads! Glad you made it ok, hope verizon finally works out for you, never really been a fan of them, but I don't think Time Warner is available out that far.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:39 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
Congrats on finally arriving both real and virtual

Old 03-24-2010, 09:20 AM

993 posts, read 3,253,417 times
Esse just a big thumbs up from Southern Idaho to you.
Congrats.

Old 03-24-2010, 10:20 AM

1,043 posts, read 3,440,553 times
OUTSTANDING!!!! Congrats Ess!!! Your new place looks GREAT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho