Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 10:22 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,119 times

Advertisements

I live in a college town. There is NO stigma for that age group. On the other hand, I'm fairly certain my parents would disown me, possibly kill me, if I had one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstorts View Post
Keim- The stigma is definitely shrinking...still there a bit depending on how many you have and the generation you are in. My grandparents (whom are New Yorkers) seem to think that anyone that has them are gangbangers.. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 10:30 PM

102 posts, read 338,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I live in a college town. There is NO stigma for that age group. On the other hand, I'm fairly certain my parents would disown me, possibly kill me, if I had one.
LOL!!! Yea...my parents are hardcore catholics, I am pretty sure my mom goes to confession for me....hahahah (or at least says frequent novenas to repent for my tattoos...hahaha).

I actually live in a college town too, but because of the cultures here the stigma is still around- especially for women...I don't get openly discriminated against, but I do get that disgusted look every now and then, lol.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:09 AM

15 posts, read 25,864 times
I have a few tattoos...I'll have to come to your shop when we move there!!

I know what you mean about potentially regretting NOT going. My family is so supportive, and they figure we should give it a go. Plus, I HATE THE SOUTH! So judgmental down here, the pollen's bad, it's hot and humid 8 months out of the year. Idaho seems like a dream world. LOL

I'm worried about finding a rental home because we have 3 dogs. We are planning to visit the area this fall some time, so I'll check into that agency. Thanks for the info!!!

Hope you post something when you guys finally get there and settled. I'd love to hear what you think of everything!

Old 04-23-2010, 09:14 AM

Yea definitely Rowecorw! And if you need any help or have any additional questions or anything, just let me know!! As it gets closer I can pass along info I see on houses and stuff. Have you looked at craigslist ads for up in that area? There is also the CDA Press, and the Nicklesworth.com, both have been helpful for me.
I have also been doing the google maps virtual tours of neighborhoods so i can see what they look like. I found a cool site on facebook last night, I don't know if I can provide a link to it on here, but will send it via pm. (And if anyone else that is reading this is interested, let me know and I will send you the link as well).

My family has been supportive as well, they understand why I am doing it, and every single person I have talked to about it thinks we are smart for leaving now while our family is young. (Better education for the kids is a good thing...my kids go to the best school around and I already have to drive them everyday because the school cannot afford buses, it was the only way they could stay open, then there are the massive teacher layoffs...people are losing their jobs left and right around here).

The weather you deal with does not sound fun at all!! I have a low tolerance for heat, I am miserable 3 months out of the year here because I just can't do 110 degree weather..I am much happier around 60-70s lol.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:38 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,838,848 times
kstorts,

Remember that CDA will see 100 degrees in the summer, but it's not all summer long. It tends to peak around early-mid August. This is mostly because the sun is up for so long that it really heats everything up. Good thing nights are still so pleasant. But in June/July we'll generally have highs in the mid-upper 80's, which is quite nice.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
kstorts,

Remember that CDA will see 100 degrees in the summer, but it's not all summer long. It tends to peak around early-mid August. This is mostly because the sun is up for so long that it really heats everything up. Good thing nights are still so pleasant. But in June/July we'll generally have highs in the mid-upper 80's, which is quite nice.
I don't like the 100 degree weather very much...If I can find ways to cool down it isn't so bad, but when you start hitting a week straight of 109-115 weather, it is just way too hot to have the kids outside or anything...highs in the mid-upper 80s sounds wonderful for summer!!

Old 04-23-2010, 02:06 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,439,909 times
Quote:
I don't like the 100 degree weather very much...If I can find ways to cool down it isn't so bad, but when you start hitting a week straight of 109-115 weather, it is just way too hot to have the kids outside or anything...highs in the mid-upper 80s sounds wonderful for summer!!
Been there done that... We used to get summer temps of 117 with humidity!! Weeks on end of 105+... You will LOVE the summer weather here compared to there KT... It can get warm, but it never seems to get oppressive..

This is the time of year where I'd normally be DREADING the coming months and the heat.. Now Im looking forward to the LONG days and time on the lake... What a difference 1200 miles makes..

Old 04-23-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
Been there done that... We used to get summer temps of 117 with humidity!! Weeks on end of 105+... You will LOVE the summer weather here compared to there KT... It can get warm, but it never seems to get oppressive..

This is the time of year where I'd normally be DREADING the coming months and the heat.. Now Im looking forward to the LONG days and time on the lake... What a difference 1200 miles makes..
LOL yes, that is me for sure....every year....dreading the coming of summertime! ...It will be an odd thing to me if summer becomes my favorite season...lol

Old 04-23-2010, 03:54 PM

1,043 posts, read 3,439,909 times
Quote:
LOL yes, that is me for sure....every year....dreading the coming of summertime! ...It will be an odd thing to me if summer becomes my favorite season...lol
It did for me!! We've spent alot of time here in the summer months and its our favorite time of year... Going back to Cali. in the summer was the worse.. Feeling the temp rise mile by mile, all the smog choking us, burning eyes, traffic for days... Glad I dont have to go back this summer..

Old 04-23-2010, 04:35 PM

170 posts, read 463,152 times
Just curious, how much more daylight is there in ID than in CA during the summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho