Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 08:47 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,454,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang! View Post
Societies that are strong on personal freedom generally lack the capacity to resist insurgent social mores. Thus, what ultimately happens in Idaho all depends on the scale of outside views it attempts to absorb.
100% correct!
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 03:18 PM

7 posts, read 27,576 times
California is to Idaho what Mass is to Maine. I grew up in Idaho and lived in basically all three corners from the 70'-80's. Californians are very law crazy and want to outlaw about everything that they don't like. Southern Idaho did and still maintains a large amount of personal freedom however. As mentioned most of the melting pot is in Boise. However, even in the 80's Boise was fairly liberal compared to Pocatello and twin Falls which are still very conservative. I have a summer farm in Maine and my neighbors endearingly refer to mass as m*******s for perhaps the same reason. Just like California, mass moves in and then wants to change everything. What is discouraging me is the welfare liberalness that maine has become. We were going to retire there, but now are having second thoughts. I am looking at the Burlington Stowe area, but after reading several blogs, is this Maine 20 years from now. Long story short, Southern Idaho is still a high quality place to live and I don't ever see it going total "hippie" The business hub of Boise and the agriculture population still run the state for the most part. Northern ID. haven't lived theire since 1978 and didn't care for it then as Spokane now has made N Idaho a bedroom community....way to crowded and expensive.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:52 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,846,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcoffin View Post
Northern ID. haven't lived theire since 1978 and didn't care for it then as Spokane now has made N Idaho a bedroom community....way to crowded and expensive.
This gave me a good chuckle...to hear NID described as "bedroom community". Must be thinking only of Post Falls and CDA...but Bonner County has only 41,000 residents over 1738 square miles and Boundary County has only 11,000 residents in 1269 square miles. Our county (Bonner) has a minimum lot size of 5 acres outside of inc cities...not exactly "bedroom community", and I would think much less so in 1978 with only 50-60% of today's population.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:35 PM

7 posts, read 27,576 times
Default bedroom community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
This gave me a good chuckle...to hear NID described as "bedroom community". Must be thinking only of Post Falls and CDA...but Bonner County has only 41,000 residents over 1738 square miles and Boundary County has only 11,000 residents in 1269 square miles. Our county (Bonner) has a minimum lot size of 5 acres outside of inc cities...not exactly "bedroom community", and I would think much less so in 1978 with only 50-60% of today's population.
Your right...I should have clarified that a bit. Was mostly talking about what you mentioned. North and south of both places does have some elbow room. The only reason I didn't like NID being a southern Idaho native, is access to land. I went to school in Moscow and the Selway to me was paradise found. I guess you could call that northern ID as well maybe. I actually ended up buying a summer house in Maine very similar to CDA without the headache of a Spokane next door.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:08 PM

jlcoffin, can you eleborate on why Spokane is a headache next door to CDA and surrounding areas? Do Spokane people effect NID like Mass people have effected Maine and my state of NH or are there other reasons?

Old 03-09-2010, 03:09 PM

177 posts, read 266,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
jlcoffin, can you eleborate on why Spokane is a headache next door to CDA and surrounding areas? Do Spokane people effect NID like Mass people have effected Maine and my state of NH or are there other reasons?

Buy property!

We have family that have moved to Northern Idaho. After about two years they are trying to sell out and come home!

They have 'liberals' moving all around them and causing problems. My brother was a C.O at a jail down here and after moving he has 4 or 5 speeding tickets ( for STUPID stuff ) like 7 over. He has been charged with using "vulgar words in the presents of children" that cost him 1500 to fight!!!!!!!!!

He said: That the hire newbe police and stuff that's laughed about back home is a felony in Idaho. We pay 530 bucks a year for 50 acre and he pays 1200 for a house that he hates.

He tells us that a GREAT many folk's that have moved to Idaho find it more ( police state liberal ) and RUN.......

BTW, He called a Trasplanted New yorker - another name for kitty cat and was charged with a crime? Disturbing the peace

Idaho = Free to own firearms BUT don't ask about the first amendment

Just my opinion
He'll be back home as soon as they sell that house

Old 03-09-2010, 03:56 PM

Thank you, Coon Dog.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:34 PM

118 posts, read 285,130 times
So, the million dollar question is... run where? Where else would we stand a better chance of protecting our freedoms than in ID?

Old 03-09-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang! View Post
So, the million dollar question is... run where? Where else would we stand a better chance of protecting our freedoms than in ID?

Buy property! Away from a major City.

We live 20 minutes away from a Town of 5000 and 1 1/2 hours away from a major City. Yes, We know the Town Sheriff and drunk....L.O.L! Not the same person

The only issue we have - Every morning our rooster will not shut his horn.

Last edited by Coon dog; 03-09-2010 at 05:03 PM..

Old 03-09-2010, 05:01 PM

Try Oklahoma ! VERY Conservative. We live right next door..... Look at a "voting map" Oklahoma is more 'right wing' than Idaho with NO blue!!

Very nice folk's

Oklahoma forced a 10th Amendment resolution down the Governors neck. My State is nice ( Away from the City )

Good day and God Bless

P.S

In my opinion - Northern Idaho is a "hot spot" for rich golfers? Just what has been said to me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho