Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 03:28 PM

420 posts, read 1,194,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace_Rinaldi View Post
Im gonna look into some fly rod's and gear... Be sure to give me a heads up when you get down to the St. Joe... We'll have to catch some bigguns, or at least a beer buzz...Ha!!
Sounds good. If you like cold beer and be burgers try Nosworthys in CDA. My neighbor and I went and had Tomato juice in a big schooner of Bud. If it taste good on a cold day just think what it would taste like on a hot when it gets up into the 70's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 08:11 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,278,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman 100 View Post
Finally got my fishing license and am looking forward to spring.
R U gonna give your CDF buds discount fishing lessons?

Old 02-21-2010, 04:12 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,489,562 times
We don't have our fishing licenses yet, but I am looking forward to taking my kids out fishing this spring and summer.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
R U gonna give your CDF buds discount fishing lessons?
That is a good one. I have fished for everything in CA and have been deep sea fishing a bunch of times. Idaho has so many different kinds of fish I feel like a kid again. I have a neighbor who moved from Bakersfield to here 50 years ago. He is 75 and spends all the time he can on the lake. He has invited me to go with him in spring. The secret is to get a local who eats breathes and sleeps fish to teach you the ropes.

For example I used to have a fish and ski boat that had two live wells and was all decked out for fishing. Trolling in CA means you use lead core line and go down so many colors. Here they use what is called a down rigger to get the line down to the fish because the lake is so deep. I have a lot to learn. I don't even know the species. I have never seen a cutthroat trout, and would not know a bull trout from a lake trout. CA had Rainbows mainly and a few German Brown. This state has so many different kinds you could take a class to get to learn them.

I want to take a couple of years fishing with the local boys before I get another boat. Don't want to rush into it and get the wrong stuff.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:21 PM

Another thing. Went to Round Lake State Park to check it out. The lake is frozen and people were skating on it. It is 50 degrees out with blue skies and lots of sunshine and the lake is frozen. Use to have a couple lakes nearby where I lived in the mountains in CA. One small one might get a thin coat of ice over the top, but that was it. First guy I spoke to said he tried Ice fishing once and fell through the ice and almost drowned. This was at some place called Liberty Lake. Boy this is totally different than anything I have ever been used to and I am loving every minute of it.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:35 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,749,912 times
Do any of you all know someplace local (Sandpoint thru Newport area) or someone who can teach us to fly fish? I don't know anything about it but don't want to do a tourist type of fly fishing class.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:11 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
I love Round Lake--I've hiked all the way around it, and it gets pretty wild over on the far side! But I haven't yet seen it iced over. I used to go ice skating when I was young(er )--maybe with the proper padding I could do it again?

I also used to go fishing with my dad--he thinks it's ironic that now when he's too frail to go fishing, his offspring owns property near some of the most spectacular fishing waters in the nation! So one of these years I'll want to get back into fishing. I still know how to clean fish! And cook them! He taught me that, too.

Tell me, how much is a fishing license for non-residents? Maybe we'll get one for this summer if we can afford it.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:50 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,278,128 times
OK CFF, tonight was super clear and a bright half-moon was perfect for a crisp walk. There was enough light to cast shadows of the tall pines. Even though the moon was bright, you could still see more stars than any sky I can remember in SlowCal. I could see a bit of light pollution from Spokane over the hills in that direction.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:10 PM

53 posts, read 133,853 times
Hey mistyriverranch,

One possibility would be to find the closest chapter of Trout Unlimited. When I lived in WI a local chapter held an introduction day to expose novices like myself to the sport. They discussed what trout eat and showed us those foods found directly in a stream sample. Then they gave casting lessons. If you contact the local club they might be able to point you in the right direction, even if they don't do similar public service activities. Many members might be eager to take you along on a personal fishing trip and mentor you since they are often quite passionate about their sport. It never hurts to ask if such members exist and try that route if available. Let me know if it works out so you can mentor me once I get settled in out there!! Good luck!

Council-Chapter Search | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

Old 02-22-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
I love Round Lake--I've hiked all the way around it, and it gets pretty wild over on the far side! But I haven't yet seen it iced over. I used to go ice skating when I was young(er )--maybe with the proper padding I could do it again?

I also used to go fishing with my dad--he thinks it's ironic that now when he's too frail to go fishing, his offspring owns property near some of the most spectacular fishing waters in the nation! So one of these years I'll want to get back into fishing. I still know how to clean fish! And cook them! He taught me that, too.

Tell me, how much is a fishing license for non-residents? Maybe we'll get one for this summer if we can afford it.
About 37.00 for the license and two pole stamp endorsement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho