Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2021, 11:00 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,169,229 times

Advertisements

I ain't never heard of no crazy people what grills in the middle of winter!

Maybe I oughta try it. Tho might have trouble keepin' the meat thawed, given it's a balmy -21F in my back porch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 01:57 PM

561 posts, read 438,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I ain't never heard of no crazy people what grills in the middle of winter!

Maybe I oughta try it. Tho might have trouble keepin' the meat thawed, given it's a balmy -21F in my back porch.

Grillin is great in the winter! You should absolutely do it! That is assuming you’re out of the direct wind of course. Having the meet frosty and heat low doesn’t help. Haha.

I’m going up get some done on Monday here in Texas to celebrate the negative temp. Hasn’t been below 0 in ~30y or so down here. People looking at me odd for wearing shorts and a short sleeve shirt in this weather too. I’ve been waiting for the “cold stuff” (by Texas standards) here. Yea, I’m going to fit in nicely up in NID.
Attached Thumbnails
The North Idaho Front Porch-7f4ce9f6-85a9-45a8-980f-4b13b29f8cc2.jpeg  

Old 02-13-2021, 02:48 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,169,229 times
Yesterday I swear my freezer in the porch was running backwards, trying to keep the contents warm....

If I have time come summer I'm going to try building a beehive oven (like Jon Townsends did a video on) and see if I can rig one end to function as a grill, deep enough to get the fire away from the wind. Now there might be a good winter grill for here in the Northern Wastes!

Old 02-13-2021, 04:07 PM

561 posts, read 438,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
If I have time come summer I'm going to try building a beehive oven (like Jon Townsends did a video on) and see if I can rig one end to function as a grill, deep enough to get the fire away from the wind. Now there might be a good winter grill for here in the Northern Wastes!
That sounds pretty neat!

Old 03-09-2021, 09:11 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Bare root fruit trees are in at Costco.

I went in looking for potting soil and that isn't in yet, but the fruit trees are. It looks to me like varieties are carefully selected for Idaho weather. Except there is Granny Smith on my multi-apple tree and Granny smith ripens really late, so might not produce. The other varieties on the tree are good for our weather. I also got an apricot tree which should do fine here.

Trees look good, price is excellent. If you want trees most of the mail order places are sold out and many are charging as much as $50 for a tree, At Costco, even the multi-variety grafted trees are under $20.

I'm also looking for their geraniums, which are not in, yet. Last year they were in the store about a month before they could be placed outdoors, so they should be available, soon.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:17 AM

32,664 posts, read 48,091,772 times
Adding this: if you can find any of the old incandescent Christmas lights, where the bulbs produce heat, you can string those into your fruit trees and turn them on at night when the trees are in bloom, and that will keep the blooms from freezing.

You can get a lot more fruit with that trick. I put my lights on the thermostat that turns them on automatically when the temperatures get below freezing.

Although, my experience is that most fruit trees will hang on to blooms and produce fruit down to 26 degrees. Any lower than that and your crop is lost unless you provide frost protection..

Old 03-09-2021, 04:03 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,024,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Bare root fruit trees are in at Costco.

I went in looking for potting soil and that isn't in yet, but the fruit trees are. It looks to me like varieties are carefully selected for Idaho weather. Except there is Granny Smith on my multi-apple tree and Granny smith ripens really late, so might not produce. The other varieties on the tree are good for our weather. I also got an apricot tree which should do fine here.

Trees look good, price is excellent. If you want trees most of the mail order places are sold out and many are charging as much as $50 for a tree, At Costco, even the multi-variety grafted trees are under $20.

I'm also looking for their geraniums, which are not in, yet. Last year they were in the store about a month before they could be placed outdoors, so they should be available, soon.
They sure are. I got 2 maple trees for 34.00 each.

Old 03-29-2021, 03:56 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,253,409 times
Serial killer on federal death row dies at Indiana hospital

https://www.foxnews.com/us/serial-ki...diana-hospital

Only reason I posted this here is due to this guy did his murders in Coeur d’Alene

"Duncan was convicted of killing four members of a family from Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, in 2005. He kidnapped two children, Dylan and Shasta Groene, from the family’s home and tortured them in Montana before killing the boy."

Was not in ID when this happened, still in MI, but it does strike a memory or two.

From reading, all I can say is it is too bad he took so long to die.

Old 03-29-2021, 08:55 AM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
Thanks for posting the Duncan story. I followed the case closely while it was happening. We were in NID at the time, and I remember the big billboards with the missing kids' faces. That saved the girl's life--a waitress at Denny's saw her with Duncan at 2 am and called the cops. It was too late to save her brother. Duncan had murdered him in front of his sister at a remote campsite near St. Regis. That little girl kept her wits about her and took the cops straight to her brother's remains.

Duncan was one of the most callous killers I have ever read about. One may wonder if his brain had already been compromised at that time--although I don't think that would be an excuse. He was quite capable of making choices and understanding the consequences. Terrible case, terrible man.

Old 03-29-2021, 12:21 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Serial killer on federal death row dies at Indiana hospital

https://www.foxnews.com/us/serial-ki...diana-hospital

Only reason I posted this here is due to this guy did his murders in Coeur d’Alene

"Duncan was convicted of killing four members of a family from Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, in 2005. He kidnapped two children, Dylan and Shasta Groene, from the family’s home and tortured them in Montana before killing the boy."

Was not in ID when this happened, still in MI, but it does strike a memory or two.

From reading, all I can say is it is too bad he took so long to die.
I agree.
The entire state was shocked by the murders in C d'A, but they were so brutally heinous that I'm sure any state where they occurred would have been shocked.

The worst of it came later for me, when the cops learned the reason why Duncan killed the family was so he could kidnap and get away with the 2 youngest kids. That really bothered me a lot. It still does all these years later after knowing what he did to those little kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho