Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2017, 01:04 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times

Advertisements

Hi, Volo...
The thing about a snowblower is when you need one, you need it right away and it has to be able to throw the snow as quick as it can be thrown.

Even if I had a heated driveway, I still wouldn't want to depend on anything that uses electricity to do that job. A bottom o' the line Toro will, and it won't even grunt hard. If your power goes out, with a Toro, you can still get out of the house if you must. Leave the battery-powered stuff for cutting the grass.

With the heat on under the driveway, a regular show shovel would make very short work of the same job, and is probably better exercise.

Must my 2¢.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 09:52 AM

1,573 posts, read 2,927,166 times
Hi my friends.

Clarkfork so glad your camper shelter has survived. Steep roof is a good thing.

A heated driveway. WOw I have never heard of such a thing. I had to give up plowing and did my 30 wide by 35 foot long drive with a shovel for most of the winter. I enjoyed doing so after my dinner in the peace and quiet of a winter evening. I have a good yard light. It would take me about an hour to move 4 to 6 inches and I tried not to let it get to 6 inches even if it meant I had to shovel twice in one day.

PHEW what a winter this has been I see for most of us. I was totally beating myself up with snow removal on the roofs and lowered my standards hugely some time in December. Now I just have trails to the garage from the house and a trail across the back patio for the dog. I even had to put a garden trellis across part of the dog yard to keep the dog in the yard as one night he just walked up the snow and out. GADS!!!! Scared me when he did not come right away when I called him. I am out in my night gown and snow boots going after him. He did come back and I do not think he left the side yard but still it was frightening for me. He loved it. Now all of it is melting and in summer I curse the rocks under a few inches of soil here but now I am loving the drainage. Not too much mud even after days of rain and snow melt.

I always feel the snow piles will be here into August too. Then all of a sudden they are gone and things in the yard are appearing again. Happy for that. I do not remember when I took these pictures. It was close to the worst of it. I figure hubby is hanging around some where laughing at me chasing this snow around.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/501856...posted-public/

Garage side wall is 12 foot tall to give an idea of the height of this snow pile. It is 35 foot long and about 20 foot wide at the base. Melting nicely now.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:03 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,385,232 times
Dogs and snow...
My dog went out with me when I cleared my driveway and front walk once, and he doesn't take off, but he likes to cruise my neighbors. It took so long to shovel and snowblow I completely forgot he came out with me, and I left him outside.

For some reason, after about 90 minutes, I thought he was in my fenced back yard. Nope. And then I thought I had closed him up in the garage accidentally. Nope. And not upstairs either. Or downstairs.

After about another 30 minutes, I finally realized he was out front. When I opened the door, he was waiting to be let in, and had probably been waiting for the past 2 hours after he finally grew tired of jumping around in the snow.

Everyone was a snow fighter this year. But spring always comes a lot faster that a person thinks after a few months of being snowbound. I've seen it turn in 48 hours from late winter to spring.

Old 03-11-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Dogs and snow...
My dog went out with me when I cleared my driveway and front walk once, and he doesn't take off, but he likes to cruise my neighbors. It took so long to shovel and snowblow I completely forgot he came out with me, and I left him outside.

For some reason, after about 90 minutes, I thought he was in my fenced back yard. Nope. And then I thought I had closed him up in the garage accidentally. Nope. And not upstairs either. Or downstairs.

After about another 30 minutes, I finally realized he was out front. When I opened the door, he was waiting to be let in, and had probably been waiting for the past 2 hours after he finally grew tired of jumping around in the snow.

Everyone was a snow fighter this year. But spring always comes a lot faster that a person thinks after a few months of being snowbound. I've seen it turn in 48 hours from late winter to spring.
Right BanjoMike Spring will come. I guess I am just so anxious for it this year because I have so many plans for the yard. The upside of a long winter is after the big snow falls when I shoveled and raked my roofs morning to night then fell into bed, I managed to get a lot of mosaic projects almost completed. One a three year long project. I am so close to being done I can almost taste it. Finally being able to move onto some thing else and next time I will not go so large. LOL

I need to make the yard easier to care for alone. Not that hubby was at all a yard person but he did help with a few things when he felt up to it. I have created a total disaster here for a yard. Yes lovely flowers but too much to take care of and do a good job.

Every day I see more snow disappearing and so happy for it.

I am so glad your dog came back and was waiting for you. I did peek at the trellis I put up and it is no longer needed so will get the snow boots on to get out to it and put it away.

Old 03-11-2017, 04:50 PM

7,383 posts, read 12,680,248 times
Hi Chris/Shades,

Happy to see you! Your snow pics are awesome, in a frightening sort of way... Goad you're getting ready for fun spring stuff. With the rough times you've been through, it's even more significant.

That must have been a frightening experience, you looking for your escape artist dog! Good thing he came back. Our neighbor has told us that the snow covered their 5 ft fence around their chicken coop, and a dog just walked across the fence and killed 12 chickens . (I know it wasn't your dog! )

Mike, I'm also glad your pooch was right there, and didn't freeze! Our Little Guy (Chihuahua/Jack Russell mix) who can't use the doggie door because he is too little was sitting outside for a long time the other day waiting for somebody to notice him and let him in. But he was only dealing with 68 degree weather...

Old 03-11-2017, 06:19 PM

I forgot this one. It was rather impressive when it came down. I missed getting a video but was there for the last hurrah. You can kind of see the snow dust settling. I am glad we are past the worst of winter now. For quite awhile I could not see out my house windows.
Attached Thumbnails
The North Idaho Front Porch-2-8-17-garge-snow-down.jpg  

Old 03-13-2017, 05:10 PM

551 posts, read 804,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I'm sure that is a big load off your mind. August? Let's hope not.

About snow . . . what is the general consensus about the battery-powered snowblowers? Even though my driveway is heated, I'm not sure I want to use that feature very often. My need for a snowblower will only be light duty, and I think the same company makes battery-powered lawn mowers, so I could swap batteries as needed. My lawn cutting needs will be minimal also. I'm not really keen on getting a gasoline-powered mower for such a small lawn.

p.s. Heading up the end of next week for the walk through and to sign the papers. Final construction won't be finished yet. They have still to pour the driveway and front/rear porch/patio. With the weather, I'm surprised they got as much done as they did.

p.s. I just realized that I wrote an awful pun concerning the easing of your fears. No offense intended.

Congrats on getting your retirement home! Great to finally get to the light at the end of the tunnel.

I don't think that battery powered snowblower will be of much use. I have a two stage gas powered Ariens blower I use to clear most of the snow off the concrete pad in front of my garage. The snow is so wet and heavy here a lot of times that the snow barely falls out of the blower chute. I bought a cheap 120 volt electric powered blower for my back deck. Two seconds after I turned it on, the chute plugged up and it was absolutely useless. I would think with a heated drive, the snow would be partially melted and would be really wet and heavy. A good powerful blower (expensive of course LOL) would have a better chance to throw the snow off your driveway.

Like Banjo said, a shovel works too and will keep you in shape for cycling.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:37 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,776,492 times
Just received confirmation that the escrow company received the balance of the funds for my new home in Rathdrum. Will be heading out first thing tomorrow morning, so I can take the walk-through on Monday, sign the papers on Tuesday, and close escrow on Wednesday. I'll be towing my sailboat up this trip to put in the RV storage yard in the complex.

Everything else will have to wait until I get back from Italy in April. This will just be a short trip, but I need to find time to join a credit union for a new checking account, maybe change my cell number to a local number, notify the Sheriff Department of my new address, (for the CWP), and maybe even apply for a new driver's license, (if I can read the booklet in time).

When you see my "Location:" change from "Antelope Valley" to "Rathdrum", then you'll know that all went well and at least one branch of the family tree has returned to Idaho.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 03-16-2017, 03:48 PM

551 posts, read 804,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Just received confirmation that the escrow company received the balance of the funds for my new home in Rathdrum. Will be heading out first thing tomorrow morning, so I can take the walk-through on Monday, sign the papers on Tuesday, and close escrow on Wednesday. I'll be towing my sailboat up this trip to put in the RV storage yard in the complex.

Everything else will have to wait until I get back from Italy in April. This will just be a short trip, but I need to find time to join a credit union for a new checking account, maybe change my cell number to a local number, notify the Sheriff Department of my new address, (for the CWP), and maybe even apply for a new driver's license, (if I can read the booklet in time).

When you see my "Location:" change from "Antelope Valley" to "Rathdrum", then you'll know that all went well and at least one branch of the family tree has returned to Idaho.

CONGRATS! Have a safe trip up here. Your timing was great since it looks like it might not snow any more (hopefully anyway).

BTW, the written driver's license test was pretty easy. I didn't have a chance to look at the rule book but passed.

Old 03-16-2017, 07:34 PM

209 posts, read 316,836 times
Yahoo! Good for you, Volosong! Have a safe trip and a happy move! Plus, have fun in Italy! (Who wouldn't?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho