Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 11:27 AM

227 posts, read 383,097 times

Advertisements

We've had such a dry winter/spring and now this major heat wave is coming with no new rain in sight. I just can't believe how overall hot and dry it has been so far. Do any of you have concerns about this, or do you think we'll be fine and get enough rain before we have major issues with fire, etc.?

Also, it seems to me that this year will be a horrible year for wild berries like huckleberries and dewberries due to the weather based on what I am seeing on our land. Is this what everyone else is seeing too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 11:31 AM

159 posts, read 355,217 times
I'm very concerned. We've already had a significant fire on Tubbs Hill this year and the surrounding forests will only become more fire prone as the summer progresses.

If there are going to be any berries this year they are going to be early.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:59 AM

29,223 posts, read 22,424,843 times
It's heating up fast all over the state. Idaho Falls is expected to be in the 100s by the end of this week.
That rain last month didn't stop the grass from going brown very long, but the soil moisture is still good. if the summer stays in the upper 80s, we will probably be fine, but if July turns hot, August and September could become dangerously dry.

Wildgrass fires are way hotter than most folks realize, and they can move very fast, especially when there is a lot of cheatgrass. if the soil moisture stays high, the grass is growing, even if it looks dry. The thicker and higher the grass, the hotter and bigger the fire.

Take care, all you folks who are living out in the country; do like the farmers, and go scratch a hole in the ground with your around your properties to see how moist the soil is on your place. If you don't turn up moisture in less than a foot, you may want to think about tilling a fire break around your home and outbuildings if you are in a grassy area. A 4 foot wide break can make a huge difference if a range fire kicks up. I've seen grassy mountain sides burn from bottom to top in less than 2 hours on a windy day.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:33 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,508,170 times
Supposed to be 110 or 111 in Boise this weekend. My prediction is this will be the hottest year on record AGAIN this summer. And Summer is our dry season (at least down here), other than afternoon thunderstorms. So yes, I am concerned about fire season, as well as irrigation for farmers. I'm not in northern Idaho, but I would assume the same thing on a perhaps slightly reduced scale. Don't know on berries, but Idaho plants in general will have a rough summer.

Old 06-24-2015, 06:09 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,296,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagle Sam View Post
We've had such a dry winter/spring and now this major heat wave is coming with no new rain in sight. I just can't believe how overall hot and dry it has been so far. Do any of you have concerns about this, or do you think we'll be fine and get enough rain before we have major issues with fire, etc.?

Also, it seems to me that this year will be a horrible year for wild berries like huckleberries and dewberries due to the weather based on what I am seeing on our land. Is this what everyone else is seeing too?
What I noticed is that the clay my house is on is so dry, despite daily watering.

My berries are the best they have ever been. But my feeling is the window for picking is going to be much narrower!

Next week I expect to water morning and night.

S.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:06 PM

39,892 posts, read 26,570,898 times
I'm concerned about fire season this year. While our winter was very mild, we had a fair amount of rain this spring. The wild grasses/brush are very high around my area right now. Meaning lots of hot burning fuel as soon as it dries out.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:05 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,283,327 times
Brutal heat coming so my next post shall be from the beach. Berries were 2 weeks early at one place I went picking and they were very small (but tasty).

Old 06-25-2015, 08:42 AM

285 posts, read 542,156 times
Commercial blueberry farmers claim this is the earliest crop they have had and one of the most, if not the most, prolific crops.

In wild huckleberry areas, I suspect they were early and the bears probably got most of them.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:45 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,761,245 times
Fire up near Priest Lake on Sundance. I've been hearing helicopters. Not good.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:09 PM

29,223 posts, read 22,424,843 times
I'm waiting for a fire down here in the south and dreading the thought. This year looks and smells like it was in 2000, when the entire state lit up last.

We did luck out with a good soaking thunderstorm here last night. Minimal thunder, max rain for about 2 hours or so. But it was a fluke- all this coming week is forecast as too hot and too dry.

If the Frank goes up, we could all be sucking in smoke in a week's time. The fires there didn't quit until the first snowfall in 2000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho