Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 03:59 PM

332 posts, read 483,270 times

Advertisements

There were a few episodes of Ice Pilots NWT where they ferried two CL-215s from Yellowknife Canada to Turkey. These planes have no deicing, are short range, and were designed for fighting fires. It was interesting to see all the issues they had to deal with to get them across the Atlantic.

Here is a quick video of one of their mechanics showing how the CL-215s work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI6h98wzsaw

Very fascinating and essential equipment that so many people take for granted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 04:10 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,013,901 times
Cool video, thanks for posting that!

Old 07-05-2015, 08:32 AM

7,382 posts, read 12,675,598 times
There's a book called "Young Men and Fire," if I remember correctly, about the firefighters of the Bitterroots (on the Montana side. We call them the Coeur d'Alenes! ). It is still in my "to read" stack--the title alone scares me! But it's supposed to be a very good read.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:14 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
There's a book called "Young Men and Fire," if I remember correctly, about the firefighters of the Bitterroots (on the Montana side. We call them the Coeur d'Alenes! ). It is still in my "to read" stack--the title alone scares me! But it's supposed to be a very good read.
It is a scary book, but one of the very best I've ever read. All of Norm McLean's few books tell more about the panhandle and N.W. Montana than any other books ever written. The books is as much about him as an old man as it is about the Mann Gulch fire.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:35 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,747,546 times
Granite creek fire north of Nordman
Photo credit: Tom Holman
Attached Thumbnails
NID Heat Wave, Comments and Concerns..and berries?-image.jpg  

Old 06-14-2021, 08:09 AM

Do you think the drought will slow down the idiots with fireworks?

Old 06-14-2021, 08:19 AM

561 posts, read 437,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
No, unfortunately not. Anyone who sets off a forest fire on purpose and or with fireworks should get life in prison. Big rocks —> little rocks.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:07 AM

7,382 posts, read 12,675,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae2709 View Post

Dont Forget To wacth This Video

Welcome to C-D, and the Idaho Forum! And thanks for posting my local San Diego News10 report, which personally I find relevant, because I'm still in San Diego County, but it may not have all that much appeal for this forum's members. But anyway, everybody got a glimpse of Ocean Beach which is a cool place to be!

Aside from that, yes, the fire danger is high all over the west this year.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:57 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Not a chance.

The Blacktail reservoir fire we discussed here was due to a windy day and some leftover bottle rockets from the 4th of July.
It became the largest range fire ever recorded in less than 24 hours; over 500,000 acres scorched in less than 3 full days.

This year is now hotter earlier than 2015, but last year was a hot one too, instead of the cool, rainy summer of 2014.
I don't know how much difference this will make in forest fire fuel supply, but it should cut down the strength of range fires a little.
Don't ever forget that range fires set fire to forests too. Even when someone is camping far from a forest, please make sure any fire is dead, dead, dead. Build fires only in the fire basins made for the purpose, and keep the fireworks home this summer.

Be careful target shooting, and keep an eye out for your neighbors. If you don't own a Pulaski or 2, buy them, along with some high-capacity watering hoses. Keep all lawns cut short. Cut down all pastures that aren't being grazed. If you don't have a tractor and any plowing equipment, go find out which neighbor has them.

The plow will be your last ditch house-saver. But only if it can be used. A house surrounded closely by timber could be in jeopardy.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:38 AM

It is pretty annoying that the tribes continue selling fireworks in fire season and bad drought years, especially since we are told over and over how they are such wonderful stewards of the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho