Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 09:48 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,668,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizen View Post
It is not only that they are immigrants, it is that being they are refugees from a war torn area it usually means they are from an impoverished area with low education and next to zero skills. Be it skilled labor (welders, machinists, equipment operators, etc) or "educated" lines of work (banker, doctor, nurse, etc) Those of us who come to new areas are usually doing so out of our own pockets, with money we have earned through working, we have a skill set that can contribute to an area. We aren't loaded into a plane, handed a house, and setup on a program that sends us money and helps us get an education at the tax payers expense so then we can start working eventually.

Again, I am for immigration, it is what built this country. BUT we need to take care of our own first, and then help others. There are veterans that are having a hard time finding work. Why on earth are we helping someone from a foreign land who we have no idea about their background out before someone who has fought for our country?
But, they will be the first to complain that older Americans should not get Social Security or Medicare because it takes away from their own handouts.

For decades the government has bred the idea that some people don't have to earn their way, which only spawns more of the same. When people come here without skills that could be learned that is one thing, but not when crippled by obama whom has taken on a roll he wasn't elected to.

Here in the dreaded Bay Area, many are being imported daily with the idea that Americans are too dumb to qualify for jobs. Of course any intelligent person will remember that we have long been world leaders in so many ways. The issue isn't American IQ but college admission practices favoring those who will bring more obama dollars to schools and colleges and later hiring preferences.

Hizen is so right that we do need to treat own with the dignity and respect we have earned before we take on others.

Old 05-02-2015, 10:28 AM

5,406 posts, read 13,277,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hizen View Post
I hear texas has lots of rural land and a good economy. Send em that way.
Please, NOT! We got enough of the misplaced from Hurricane Katrina and we don't need anymore. At one count, it was 250,000, but I hope many of them have left since then. Ugh!

Old 05-02-2015, 11:09 AM

227 posts, read 382,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canine*Castle View Post
Please, NOT! We got enough of the misplaced from Hurricane Katrina and we don't need anymore. At one count, it was 250,000, but I hope many of them have left since then. Ugh!
No kidding! We rented an apt in the Westchase area in 2010 and what was a decent community just a few years earlier was a total hood thanks to the Katrina refugees that milked the system well after the hurricane recovery.

Gunshots rang out frequently and I am guessing the NO gangs were starting turf wars with Houston gangs, whigh made it even more exciting. That combined with the illegals pouring in made for quite the crappy environment.

No wonder why CO was such a refreshing change for us and NID is heaven.

Last edited by Sagle Sam; 05-02-2015 at 11:21 AM..

Old 05-02-2015, 02:19 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
The irony in this thread is astounding.

Past/potential immigrants complaining about... immigrants.

No, not complaining about immigrants at all. I am all in favor of immigrants who will bring something beneficial to our communities, instead of taking away resources that they have not helped to build up.

As Toyman has so rightly stated, those who apply to come here legally have to wait a lot longer than refugees or illegals, and they have to pay for the privilege, as well as pass extensive background checks and medical/mental health reviews. Additionally, they had to provide evidence that they would be able to support themselves without becoming a burden to the taxpayer. That is the real irony here. Legal immigrants who work and pay taxes cannot seek help from welfare if they need it, but those who did not pay in and came here illegally or as refugees are free to drain the system all they want. This is one of the major reasons why California is becoming such a mess.

When I moved back to the United States after living in the UK for 8 years, the refugee / illegal immigrant situation in England was already becoming a major problem. At the time we left British families were being forced to move out of houses they had lived in for 15 or 20 years because they needed to be given to immigrant families who had more children. For those unfamiliar with housing systems in the UK, a large majority of people live in local council-owned homes, and they can force you out and make you move if they want to house a larger family in your home. Two years ago my sister-in-law was forced out of her 3 bed-roomed home, where she had lived for 13 years, because her two eldest children had moved out. The spare room, which is typically smaller than most American master bathrooms, was being used as a small library/den. They made her move into a 2 bedroom flat, which means that the beautiful, lush garden she had spent all those years growing would be torn up and thrown away. For the record, the only reason I moved to the UK was because at the time it was a nightmare trying to get a foreign spouse legal immigrant status. We decided to live in the UK and wait until things were not so crazy and ridiculous.

So, yes, I would consider Brits coming here to be refugees

I love immigrants who come here legally, earn their way, give something TO the community, and who become part of the community instead of segregating themselves and forming small, foreign territories within an American city.

I also feel for many of these refugees who have suffered terrible losses and upheaval within their lives, but before they are offered sanctuary they need to be able to come here and support themselves instead of living off of welfare. Isn't this a better way, to have them come here and support themselves right off the bat, giving them a sense of self-respect and dignity, instead of getting them started off in a system that many find impossible to escape from, and even many more begin to prefer it because it makes life so much easier than having to work?

Old 05-02-2015, 02:37 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,744,831 times
Maybe I'm misinformed but I thought the term refugee meant they were fleeing something, they were in danger and time might be if the essence. One thing to go thru a legal immigration process when you are coming from a peaceful country, another entirely if you are really a refugee.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:09 PM

185 posts, read 253,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
The irony in this thread is astounding.

Past/potential immigrants complaining about... immigrants.

IMMIGRANT= "a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country"

You use this argument quite a lot- doesn't mean it makes sense. Californians/Floridians/Hoosiers, etc, etc who decide to move to Idaho are not immigrants.

Old 05-03-2015, 03:36 PM

687 posts, read 915,816 times
Why does it always have to be the US? Why not, say, Brazil, or Egypt, or Indonesia? Certainly Egypt and Indonesia would be closer along religious lines, and Egypt somewhat close ethnically and linguistically as well. Brazil is arguably more "diverse" than the US is, so why not there? Why aren't other countries shouldering international burdens?

I also wonder how immigrants fare in rural and semi-rural areas in states like Idaho or Maine. Wouldn't most be better off in areas like Boston or San Diego that are already "diverse", even if a bit more expensive? Wouldn't there be more employment opportunities in coastal cities?

Old 05-03-2015, 08:29 PM

448 posts, read 813,289 times
Quote:
Why does it always have to be the US? Why not, say, Brazil, or Egypt, or Indonesia? Certainly Egypt and Indonesia would be closer along religious lines, and Egypt somewhat close ethnically and linguistically as well. Brazil is arguably more "diverse" than the US is, so why not there? Why aren't other countries shouldering international burdens?
To quote the article in the OP:
Quote:
The war has claimed the lives of more than 220,000 people and driven some 9 million of the prewar population of 23 million from their homes. Of those, more than 3.8 million have fled to neighboring countries.

To date, the U.S. has resettled just 648 Syrians.
Many countries all over the world host refugees from war, civil unrest, and natural disasters. The US isn't in the top 10 countries for hosting refugees and as a percentage of the native population, the US is close to double the world average (world average is 697 native citizens vs 1 refugee. In the US that figure is 1212 per refugee.) More than 80% of refugees stay in the regional area of their home country. A vast majority developed countries, especially European ones, host a greater percentage of refugees than the US and many developing and third world countries host both a higher number and higher percentage. Other countries are most definitely shouldering the international burden of hosting refugees.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:52 PM

291 posts, read 438,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
To quote the article in the OP:Many countries all over the world host refugees from war, civil unrest, and natural disasters. The US isn't in the top 10 countries for hosting refugees and as a percentage of the native population, the US is close to double the world average (world average is 697 native citizens vs 1 refugee. In the US that figure is 1212 per refugee.) More than 80% of refugees stay in the regional area of their home country. A vast majority developed countries, especially European ones, host a greater percentage of refugees than the US and many developing and third world countries host both a higher number and higher percentage. Other countries are most definitely shouldering the international burden of hosting refugees.
Not debating what's right or wrong but it's a matter of logistics, most refugees walk to the other country, often next door. Since we don't have those wars going on in countries next door, we don't have as many refugees flooding in whether we want them or not. Many refugees from Syria went to Turkey, part of Europe.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:29 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
There's a good chance that many of the new refugees from Syria may be Christian's fleeing the war over there and fleeing ISIS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Yeah we need more religious diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Are these "refugees" going through the same screening process the ones did that are in Wisconsin (or Minnesota, I forget which) that were recently arrested for supporting ISIS? Or perhaps the ones in London that cut the head off a man in downtown? Or perhaps the ones that slaughtered people at Charlie Hebdo? Look, I honestly don't give a flip what race someone is, I do care about the background and skills of the people coming into this country, and what they are bringing to contribute as opposed to becoming another drain on the taxpayer. That includes refugees, legal immigrants and especially criminal aliens.

I hope the ones being deposited in Idaho have the skills and mindset to contribute. If so, I wish them the best. I just hope our Federal government has for once done something competently and screened them appropriately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho