Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 11:30 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaRuins View Post
I get the impression that a lot of people from Idaho on this forum have never been anywhere outside of Idaho.
If I recall correctly, one of the growth complainers on this forum admitted to having always lived in Idaho so take certain comments with a grain of salt. I think most of us here have lived outside of the state.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:52 AM

227 posts, read 382,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
You're too late then Sam, because Sandpoint has already been featured on their lists!
OH NO! We're doomed!!!!

Must go buy more tin foil!

Old 05-14-2015, 01:10 PM

742 posts, read 1,129,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaRuins View Post
Lol, OMG ALL OF "MY STATES" THINGS THAT I LOVE I HAVE TO SHARE THEM WITH OTHER PEOPLE NOW!!!!

Good lord, do some of you hear what you're saying?

Wake up and get some perspective - you want to be the only one on the mountain? Move to Antarctica... because a lot more people from all over the US are going to be coming to the northwest in the coming years as all of our once great states are pushed to the brink of insolvency by poor state policy, overspending and foreign immigrant influx.

You think that you're going to live in a state forever and it's not going to change? Things change.
I get the impression that a lot of people from Idaho on this forum have never been anywhere outside of Idaho.
Do you know what one of the things most often complained about by Californians?

"Back when I was younger we used to be able to ride our dirt bikes here and there, camp here and there, shoot guns here and there, etc., etc., before the government came in and shut it down."

One of the things most often cited as a reason to move to Idaho: freedom (to hunt, camp, shoot guns, ride OHVs, etc.).

Now, just what the hell do you think happens when a bunch of people start using things? You get more rules, more regulations, and eventually, things get shut down.

Just happened to Skinny Dipper Hot Springs this past week, by the way. And increasingly to most dirt bike and OHV trails we have.

It happens in just about every aspect of outdoor recreation, and in just about every aspect of life period.

So there's your perspective. The irony is that in 15 years you'll be the one b-tching and moaning about how different Idaho was "back in the day," before the government came in and shut everything down, like they did in California.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:49 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
Do you know what one of the things most often complained about by Californians?

"Back when I was younger we used to be able to ride our dirt bikes here and there, camp here and there, shoot guns here and there, etc., etc., before the government came in and shut it down."

One of the things most often cited as a reason to move to Idaho: freedom (to hunt, camp, shoot guns, ride OHVs, etc.).

Now, just what the hell do you think happens when a bunch of people start using things? You get more rules, more regulations, and eventually, things get shut down.

Just happened to Skinny Dipper Hot Springs this past week, by the way. And increasingly to most dirt bike and OHV trails we have.

It happens in just about every aspect of outdoor recreation, and in just about every aspect of life period.

So there's your perspective. The irony is that in 15 years you'll be the one b-tching and moaning about how different Idaho was "back in the day," before the government came in and shut everything down, like they did in California.
Doesn't make sense does it? As users (consumers) increase, most businesses do what they can to handle the increased demand. They don't close camp spots, trails, shooting locations and force more people into a smaller and smaller area. That is what results in overuse and damage. Around here the vast majority of the Forest Circus employees never get out of the office.

Sounds like the hot springs was a nice spot, popular with locals and maintained by volunteers. http://www.idahohotsprings.com/desti.../skinnydipper/

Can't have people actually enjoying their public lands now, can we?

Old 05-14-2015, 09:18 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Doesn't make sense does it? As users (consumers) increase, most businesses do what they can to handle the increased demand. They don't close camp spots, trails, shooting locations and force more people into a smaller and smaller area. That is what results in overuse and damage. Around here the vast majority of the Forest Circus employees never get out of the office.

Sounds like the hot springs was a nice spot, popular with locals and maintained by volunteers. Skinnydipper Hot Springs | Hot Springs in Idaho

Can't have people actually enjoying their public lands now, can we?

There's a stark difference between enjoying them, and destroying them. If you pay attention to the Skinny Dipper issue, you'd know full well it was the latter. There was a fire started last year by some hot springs users that burned thousands upon thousands of acres in the Payette River corridor.

So it goes with so many that "use" our public lands; they think it's their own thing they can do what they want on, treat however they want, etc. Well, tragedy of the commons, and all that. It's hardly surprising.

What also might be surprising to you is that the land management agencies have different mandates than simply "letting people enjoy their public lands." Those mandates include multiple use, sustained yield. They include preservation and conservation. They include compliance with federal environmental laws and policies.

So when a bunch of idiot jackwagons tear up a camp site or a trail or rangeland, and said areas get shut down because of it... how exactly is that a government issue? Private land owners don't even open up their land to public use because of this, so it strikes me as bizarre that you even went there. And yes, "most businesses" do in fact close things that aren't being used respectfully. And when they don't, they begin to charge more in order to improve the experience. So I guess that's your solution - a $50 dollar trail fee, $100 dollar a night campsite fee?

Do you even think this through?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho